Chinese Carbon Wheels

Meezo

Go to the Fulcrum website, they have a video showing the concept.

Trying to find the English version...

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/it/tecnologie/tecnologie-ruote-da-corsa/momag

http://fulcrumwheels.com/en/technologies/road-bike-wheels-technologies/momag

Eventually found the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIGm7pKx3rs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by geraldm24

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys.

Looking for 60mm UD rims. must be 32hole for both. I want to build them onto my powertap hubs.

Any idea where to start looking? Anybody got  some laying around?

Kind Regards

Francois

Don't forget the T11 hubs from white industries

Add a small section of magnetic spoke to the nipple and drop it in the valve hole - drag it round with a small magnet - pretty easy, and does take fractionally longer than a normal rim - of course dropping the nipple into the rim once you have removed the magnetic spoke means shaking it out the valve hole again - a bit of a PITA, and you quickly learn not to do that :) It is also pretty hard on the fingertips.

It is well worth the effort though to get rid of the tape - the extra time taken for a set of rims is probably about the same time as taping them up - retaping is a thing of the past, as is damaged tape (I have had a thorn go through the tape over a spoke hole once... fortunately only a 12km run home in the heat after using both spare bombs and a couple of plugs - didn't notice till I stripped the tire off at home...)

I had them in about 3 weeks from order

Thanks a mil for the explanation. That sounds like a great way to build them. I think I'll drop Peter an email this morning.

Hi guys

Where or from who can one get decent hubs for a set of road wheels? e.g. DT swiss, Chris King etc

Thanks!

• 9 months later...

this is a super late update, demmit

My wheels are done, Did the Baviaans on the 29er setup, Got the Road wheels done before the DC

Light-Bicycle rims with Hope PRO 4 hubs. The wide rims make a MASSIVE difference. A must upgrade for everyone

post-35789-0-60127500-1485181317_thumb.jpg

post-35789-0-64496000-1485181333_thumb.jpg

Light-Bicycle rims 45mm, Sapim spokes and Hope Mono RS hubs

post-35789-0-95156600-1485181354_thumb.jpg

My wheels are done, Did the Baviaans on the 29er setup, Got the Road wheels done before the DC

Light-Bicycle rims with Hope PRO 4 hubs. The wide rims make a MASSIVE difference. A must upgrade for everyone

attachicon.gif20160731_140459.jpg

attachicon.gif20160731_140613.jpg

attachicon.gif20161121_162923.jpg

Total eventual cost on those road wheels?

attachicon.gif20160731_140459.jpg

attachicon.gif20160731_140613.jpg

attachicon.gif20161121_162923.jpg

Thank goodness, a carbon build using decent hubs. Well done. I can't understand it when Hubbers spend decent money on hoops and then add either proprietary hubs, or Swiss cheese. Are those Mono RS hubs 11 speed compatible?

Pi%l% wiele.

Total eventual cost on those road wheels?

Rims R6900

Hubs R4250

Skewers R350

Spokes and Build was R1300

Total R12800

29er setup came to R13250

imported the hubs from evans, was only about R1000 more then bitex/novatec hubs

Thank goodness, a carbon build using decent hubs. Well done. I can't understand it when Hubbers spend decent money on hoops and then add either proprietary hubs, or Swiss cheese. Are those Mono RS hubs 11 speed compatible?

Pi%l% wiele.

Hope Mono is 11speed yes, running force22 groupset on my bike.

• 7 months later...

I thought I would post a short review of the rims I bought from Peter at http://www.xmcarbonspeed.com/

These are the rims I bought - specced with no inner spoke holes - thus no rim tape needed:

http://www.xmcarbonspeed.com/Productinfo.asp?f=1395

I have been riding only 1 of the 2 sets I built so far, and so far I have used them exclusively, and been very happy with their performance over more than 1000km of fairly serious off road racing, including 3 multi day events (and some training too):

The Route66 MTB experience - http://route66mtb.co.za/ 

After this the wheels were retensioned and truing checked – with no issues at all – despite a few surface scratches due to the rough and rocky nature of the  course

The Garden route 300 – http://www.gardenrouteevents.co.za/overview

After this the wheels were retensioned and truing checked – with no issues at all, despite a very bad landing on a major drop off that I was pretty sure was going to cause some problems – but didn’t.

The Cape Epic – a UCI Cat 0 8 day event - http://www.cape-epic.com/

No issues were experiences with the wheels at all – nothing – wheels are still true as the day we started, and I haven’t yet checked the tension, but I think it is fine, despite being hammered hard over the 8 days.

So – am I pleased – absolutely – very very pleased indeed - will I reccomend Peter's products - absolutely.

Good morning, while reading up on Chinese carbon rims I stumbled upon your post. Are you still riding on these wheels from Peter, if so are you still happy with them?

I dropped him a mail about the wheels you bought, the price is still $155 which seems very reasonable if the quality is good. He also mentioned a new asymmetric design but i cant find any reviews on them. Any thoughts?

Good morning, while reading up on Chinese carbon rims I stumbled upon your post. Are you still riding on these wheels from Peter, if so are you still happy with them?

I dropped him a mail about the wheels you bought, the price is still $155 which seems very reasonable if the quality is good. He also mentioned a new asymmetric design but i cant find any reviews on them. Any thoughts?

I have now done 2 Epics on the same set of rims - no issues at all - and of course all associated pre epic races... :) They now have some patina, but still going strong.

I can't say on the asymetrics - but I am sure the quality will be fine from Peter.

Ordered a set of light bicycle rims for the tandem. 55mm and 88mm. They offer "extra strength" option for tandems, They said they add extra carbon. Added that option. In the quote they say the rims weight 565g and 730g. Added some sapim polyax brass nipples to the order. Will wait till they arrive before getting sapim spokes(probably from my LBS). Ordered some DTswiss 540 tandem hubs from ebay. Would have liked some white industries or chris king but tandem hubs are seriously pricey. Hope the rims are good quality. Should look lekker once done.

ood morning, while reading up on Chinese carbon rims I stumbled upon your post. Are you still riding on these wheels from Peter, if so are you still happy with them?

Can't comment on the quality as I'm still waiting for production to happen (2 weeks after ordering), and then delivery. From all accounts they are decent though. Just be prepared for a 1 month wait from ordering to delivery.

Edited by GrahamS2

I have now done 2 Epics on the same set of rims - no issues at all - and of course all associated pre epic races... :) They now have some patina, but still going strong.

I can't say on the asymetrics - but I am sure the quality will be fine from Peter.

Great, thanks so much.