Technical ? Drop-off USN race #3 redbarn

I am doing the USN redbarn race #3 again on 3 August. Number 2 was my first.

I made a choice not to do the drop-off, but rather opted for the chicken run.

I want to do the drop-off this time.

How should I approach the drop-off, what must I not do, should I use brakes??

Your technical assistance would be appreciated.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try and find something small in your neighbourhood you can practice drop offs on or even a short flight of stairs (3 or 4 treads) and practice on this.

you talking bout that chicken meshed downhill slope type thing? Hardly a drop off, more like a steep gradient slope :ph34r: just shift your weight back a bit, cover the rear brakes, hand off of the front, exhale a little just before going down (helps you relax), don't tense up, and enjoy :thumbup:

Cool guys. Thanks. I'm going to do it. Agree not really a drop off, just a hell of a steep downhill.

As mentioned no front brakes. Have enough speed. The main reason people fall is hesitation and they are not going fast enough. Sounds crazy but the faster you go the easier it will be. Good luck. Also if you have cleats try not to unclip. You will have more control if you are clipped in. And if you fall your bike won't go far. It will still be attached to your body at the bottom!!! ????

you should learn to use your front brake as well. It increases your braking power. Going over the bars due to too much front brake is a skill failure and nothing else

iBike, if you're on FB, go check the Cannondale page. By sheer coincidence I saw an awesome pic they posted last night together with their mtb results. The guy is all the way behind the saddle, balanced and fully committed. As said before, hesitation is the mother of all evil.

Also, - and I may get shot for this! - check out SuperCycling. Every now and then they've got a technique insert which takes you through various typical obstacles. And again there you'll hear: balance, weight distribution, commitment.

If you start "thinking" or "wondering" halfway through, then you may as well start picking your spot. Get your azz behind the seat and trust the bike. Practise on some small drops in your area just to get the feel - if you've done it once, it'll click and you can move on to bigger drop and see... oh, it's just the same!

It's really not as bad as it looks. Weight back and go. It was easy :)

I'm not a good technical rider so if I can do something, anyone can !

Edited by eyecandy

I am doing the USN redbarn race #3 again on 3 August. Number 2 was my first.

I made a choice not to do the drop-off, but rather opted for the chicken run.

I want to do the drop-off this time.

How should I approach the drop-off, what must I not do, should I use brakes??

Your technical assistance would be appreciated.

Suggest you practice, practice before you do it. Whilst it may be easy for a lot of us that have done it, it will be your first time Lots of riders watching you, the presure will be on not to hold anybody up and that's when mistakes happen and you could get hurt rather badley.

Yea, it's easy when you know how and have done it a couple of times. Not so easy when you have to do it in a rush and under pressure.

Edited by Pusher