GPS rides - how do they work

Wayne Potgieter

joberg to c next year is nav only...hence my questions

IS this a new thing? As far as I knew the trail was all marked out for you, well at least it was on the first one. IS this now completely off the beaten track, surely there are trails but they just not marked? I doubt you will have to be checking constantly

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just don't get it trails were marked clearly, and it worked,

I would rather be checking out the awesome views than watching GPS, but who knows they seem to know what they doing maybe it will be DIPSLICK and WAYNE PROOF

Edited by dipslick

been watching this thread, reading the Facebook posts,

not keen on this idea. if I end doing this race/adventure, and I do hope to do it, it will be with my wife, we'll be there to enjoy the ride, not an exercise in navigation, and the upset... disasters of having to figure out where it went wrong when we got lost.

With this race, it will most probably be couple of hundred people following each other. hope the guys in front will know what they doing.

G

We did Sani2C Nonstop a few years ago and you had the option of following a GPX route on a GPS or use 'route card' type things. It was a 4 man team (4th man was the support driver) and 3 of us riding had GPS of various types (301 with just waypoints, 305 with the full route and a 705 with alles).

We just saw it as part of the fun (the navigating that is). Effectively it was on roads/jeep tracks/singletrack and the GPS warns if there is a 'turn' with a beep and you just follow the route. As someone mentioned it also tells you if you're off course.

We got lost once just for a short way but quickly back on course. As it was not such a big event you couldn't just follow the teams in front. Maybe that will be easier in a big event like Jobeg2C.

We did quite a few rides before following routes just to get used to it. Also we got the course before the time and went down to Scottburgh for a weekend (my boet has a flat there) and rode the last 20k's or so ...

We didn't exactly dawdle along despite following a 'line'

Also, whaaat eef the file corrupts mid stage or the screen cracks spontaneously or you drop it in a stream whilst taking a leak? Do the organisers lay down bread crumbs as an alternative to technology? So many what if's!

Also, whaaat eef the file corrupts mid stage or the screen cracks spontaneously or you drop it in a stream whilst taking a leak? Do the organisers lay down bread crumbs as an alternative to technology? So many what if's!

Isn't it a team event? If it's solo riders as well that could be a problem ....

joberg to c next year is nav only...hence my questions

There was one this year that was gps route only, cant remember which one it was but it was on supercycling recently.

There was one this year that was gps route only, cant remember which one it was but it was on supercycling recently.

About 2 months back was Trans Portugal, it was nav only. 9 days, 1150km. A couple of my mates did it, lots of climbing gates and so on.

I've used the nav function on my 705 before at Holla Trails. You had a huge arrow to follow, it looked like a compass, so it pointed you in the correct direction. And it also told you the distance to the next turn.

yeah, often it is a "why change what's working well" matter - personally, I do manage to get lost on a trail marked by bright red things dangling of a tree, so I can't see myself being more successful trying to use my little gps 2 inch screen on my rattling handlebar..

would love to tell you, but my edge 500 freezes up every time i try do a course.

:angry:

What happened to the good old map and compass.........amazing.

We never got lost doing ops.

I like that new Suunto watch.

This SHOULD reduce the entry cost - no manpower needed to sticker each tern and then remove them after the race.

Sill ride in areas where the last race was 9 months ago with dayglo stickers on every other bush - just about as bad as all the plastic bags blowing in the wind.