Single speed - road bikes only

"Stevens"

Surely the angle of wrap decreases with an increase in diameter of the chain ring = less wrap > what am I missing here as the cogs remained 16t in both cases ?

The logic in the above post doesn't work (49 gives better wrap than 48 ? due to diameter increase angle of wrap must decrease)

Yipo, we're on the same page. I think his issue was actually that he was trying to run a 3/32" chain on a 1/8" rear cog, which was the root of the problem. The 'chain wrap' had nothing to do with his original issues. In my opinion, this so called 'chain wrap' is not a factor at all.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate tensioners #justsaying

I dont understand magic gears, your chain will stretch at some point, with a tensioner you can fit more than just one gear per chain

a few questions:

1. belt drive systems for road bikes ?

2. if you have a nice set up on a ss, why do you want to fiddle and change gear ratios that will cause you to change the chain?

3. For those of us who don't want chain tensioners, is it a case of half links ?

a few questions:

1. belt drive systems for road bikes ?

2. if you have a nice set up on a ss, why do you want to fiddle and change gear ratios that will cause you to change the chain?

3. For those of us who don't want chain tensioners, is it a case of half links ?

1. Yes, there are a number of bikes out there.

2. No need to change the chain as long as the gear ratio is within a certain limit.

3. Read my love comment on magic gears and spot my like on Raptor's post.

Haven't had any problems with my magic gear. I run 16/47 with a small modification to rear axle( filed small flat surface on axle to make the wheel fit with new chain). I have used a YBN track chain and even at. 75% wear chain slack was not a problem. I have fitted a KMC510hx now and hopefully it will last longer. YBN only lasted +- a 1000 km.

I rode an identical Tommassini - same colours - for 13 years in JHB - but it was full on geared

Now I see this and I would love to have my old bike back which would be an impossible find

So if you ever want to sell yours give me a PM !

Could be yours, I bought it a few years back from Tour de Frans as full on geared and changed to SS myself. doubt you want to buy it tho, was on the bike rack and reversed into a tree stump. Woodstock managed to bend it sort of straight so at least it is still ride-able. I am busy with a Moser that I got from Delgado.

Could be yours, I bought it a few years back from Tour de Frans as full on geared and changed to SS myself. doubt you want to buy it tho, was on the bike rack and reversed into a tree stump. Woodstock managed to bend it sort of straight so at least it is still ride-able. I am busy with a Moser that I got from Delgado.

hijack

*Miss your, Delgado's and few others posts on the retro thread.*

byjack

I dont understand magic gears, your chain will stretch at some point, with a tensioner you can fit more than just one gear per chain

A tensioner looks k@k ... thats all.