How the Hub saved me from Insanity

Sweiss

My last ride was on the 1st of June. In the week following that I was diagnosed with some colon issues and that is where my hell started.

To cut a long story short, in the past 6 weeks I had 3 operations, spent 18 days in hospital, was on a liquid diet for 3 of the 6 weeks and have lost 13kg as a result.

My wife and my family have been great but they could not be around 24/7 and that is where you guys come into the picture. The hub became my daily dose of humour, inspiration, motivation and the place where I could go to for a couple of minutes, sometimes even hours to forget about my own aches and pains for a bit. Just by reading the hub my general knowledge about cycling and just about any other topic for that matter have skyrocketed over the last couple of weeks.

I have never met any of you or had any discussions with you and most of you probably don't even know about my existence but to dipslick, cpt armpies mayhem, patches, dirt-rider, grumpy old guy, skinny sweaty man to name but a few and every other hubber out there who take time out of your busy days to post new topics and conversations on this site I want to thank you.

Without you even knowing about it you have made a positive contribution to my life and made the last 6 weeks a lot more bearable than it would have been otherwise. A special mention to the admin team for giving us this platform and for doing a great job running it.

I will be back in the office from next week and will have considerably less time to visit here but I do hope that somewhere in the future I can get to meet some of you guys and make a positive contribution to your lives in one or another

way the same way you did for me.

My new outlook on lifeis: Even if Google doesn't have the answer someone on the hub will.

Keep safe and keep on riding! See you all on the trials in September when I can get back on the bike.

Regards

Sweiss

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet message.

All the best forward, Sweiss!

Hope Sept comes flying through to you quick quick.

Nice one Sweiss. Hope you heal completely, and that you will be better off afterwards than you were before.

This is one of the best posts I have read on The Hub. Here's wishing for a speedy recovery to you and strength to both you and the family at this time.

The upside is, that September is not too far away. It just so happens that September is when I'll be back from injury too, so perhaps we should meet up for a "re-introductory" ride on spring day which happens to be on a Sunday this year?

I see you're in Centurion, so maybe meet halfway at the Redbarn? PM me, at least we'll have similar fitness levels after the winter and injuries etc.

The hub became my daily dose of humour, inspiration, motivation and the place where I could go to

Nice Post Sweiss....also shows how integral the off-topic posts are in making the hub a great place to go

i'm bookmarking this thread - in fact it should be made a sticky....if i ever get a bout of the man-flu again, i am coming straight to this thread.

Sweiss, all the best for the recovery, and i hope you will be riding very soon.

Good post man.

Edited by RocknRolla

I know exactly what you mean, walked almost the same path last year.

The crazy people in this place helps more than they think they do.

Hope it goes better from here on and let us know when you ready to meet up, there are a few of us always keen to meet fellow hubbers. :)