Article in latest Ride Magazine pg 74

mikethebike234

The AM45's are great shoes. I do all my clipped riding in a set, as do most of the other DH boys n gals so they are certainly robust :thumbup:

AM 45's it is then!

Any of you shaven leg, lycra clad pros looking for a pair or really well priced hardly used Diadora ballet shoes?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost bought a pair of toe clips this last weekend, I've found many contrasting views from many sites. I'm on a MTB - 26'r converted to road - that's how I roll. I drink beer - love it and sweat my *** off working it all off again (not going to change) Okay - to toe clip or not? Go for it.

I almost bought a pair of toe clips this last weekend, I've found many contrasting views from many sites. I'm on a MTB - 26'r converted to road - that's how I roll. I drink beer - love it and sweat my *** off working it all off again (not going to change) Okay - to toe clip or not? Go for it.

Ja , go for it, they look cool, hurt like hell and will make you fall your proverbial P off because you can't get your foot out quick enough.

Latest ride magazine page 74 Shimano m520 spd pedals

They state and I quote "Contradictory as it may sound riding clipped in is safer than with flat (non clipped pedals." How can they state something so blatantly untrue, a bald faced outright lie. Are they being paid by the manufacturers or something. I'm sorry in my opinion there is no way that that statement holds true. Bear in mind that the article is aimed at those are going to try mountain biking for the first time. The general consensus has been get used to riding with flats first then move to clips ..personally I enjoy my riding so much more with flats I will probably never move to clips or spds or whatever the hell everyone else is supposedly using because its the done thing. To put a person off riding flats outright like that is just wrong ......Right now where is my flame suit ...ah there in the cupboard let me just get it on.... :ph34r:

Dear Mike,

If you can't ride with clips/SPDs, don't? The benefits are obvious, once you have mastered them...

If you can only ride flats, enjoy!

Ja , go for it, they look cool, hurt like hell and will make you fall your proverbial P off because you can't get your foot out quick enough.

'toe clips' bwahahaha, I guess you could only buy those from a 'hipster' bike shop :wacko: and as you say on an MTB at least they would provide endless entertainment (for those watching not the rider himself) ...... :w00t:

Its actually Carpets fault

I am sure a whole thread could be dedicated to this tale :)

OK, after all this flat pedal talk I went and got me a pair.

I considered all opinions but in the end my decision was based on:

1) Red is nice

2) Seems to be some nice CNC work in there.

3) I'm bored with my bike

post-1761-0-68166000-1374678799_thumb.jpg

Lets see if I can still bunny-hop. But first...some flat-soled shoes.

I started out with flat pedals.....7 years later, and I'm still loving it. I can not even begin to tell you how many times in the last 7 years have I seen guys/girls at local races falling down on rocks, climbs and the odd downhill section while being clipped in. Even the XC dudes 'n ride with who have been cycling for a few years still moer down every now and then because their clipped in.

I think it must be like swimming with a cannon ball attached to your foot

I have fallen many times. My feet never stay clipped in. I have no idea on that works ... I go one direction, the bike another. Road and mountain bike.

The real difference is power. Flat landers will never have a full 360 (reality probably 340 ) degree on each pedal stroke, they can only push down for around 120 or so degrees, and then wait for the circle to return to the power position.

Flatlanders will only have 1 leg producing the power on each stroke . Clippers will have two :)

THink of doing squats with 1 leg, and then doing squats with two - which will lift more ?

Flatlanders will only have 1 leg producing the power on each stroke . Clippers will have two :)

THink of doing squats with 1 leg, and then doing squats with two - which will lift more ?

Not quite! The power you have on the pull stroke is nowhere near the power you have on the push stroke.

I have fallen many times. My feet never stay clipped in. I have no idea on that works ... I go one direction, the bike another. Road and mountain bike.

The real difference is power. Flat landers will never have a full 360 (reality probably 340 ) degree on each pedal stroke, they can only push down for around 120 or so degrees, and then wait for the circle to return to the power position.

You might not be able to pull up but a smooth rotation and proper technique can see you produce plenty of power on flats.

If you do squats the same way you pedal you're going to see your arse very soon.

OK, after all this flat pedal talk I went and got me a pair.

I considered all opinions but in the end my decision was based on:

1) Red is nice

2) Seems to be some nice CNC work in there.

3) I'm bored with my bike

post-1761-0-68166000-1374678799_thumb.jpg

Lets see if I can still bunny-hop. But first...some flat-soled shoes.

You just HOPE it'll work!