Momsen Bikes Worst Rims and service?

Boers3un

Hi All

Just thought I would share my experience Good and Bad that I have had with Momsen bikes. not sure if this is the right place on the forums so if not please feel free to move it.

I bought my AL129 about 3 months ago, yes it is the entry level bike but I was just starting out. I loved the look and feel of it as well as the price. My first ride was at Rosemary Farm after the ride I noticed that my wheel was slightly buckled. I was a bit concerned as I didn't abuse it in any way so I did some reading and it seemed that machine made wheels are a tad crappy so I had it trued and went out again. all worked well for about 3 rides

I then had a fall at an event and the wheel buckled again, this was expected and so far I was still loving my Momsen. Had it trued again at Finish ilne cycles and did another event, before even starting the race I pushed down on my shock and the wheel gave in. Bad true perhaps or bad rim?

I then went to a couple of places when finally reaching someone that actually wanted to help me. He said the rim was completely stuffed and that I needed a new one, he also didn't charge me an arm and a leg.

Where lies the problem then? Well I contacted Momsen about this and they completely sidestepped the question when asked are the rims that bad, I then asked for a recommendation on a new rim no one responded. When I called them to ask if they can supply a replacement they stated that they do not import these rims and tried to sell me some rim that would cost almost as much as the bike itself. So you build them locally? but do not have the rims? When I decided to confront them on Facebook they just keep on deleting my posts.

So in short in my opinion they have some of the worst rims on the AL129 and it would seem some of the worst service around. Perhaps this is the norm when coming to cycling as I am still new to it but to me this is not acceptable.

Just informing everyone of my experience and perhaps provide warning to those looking to buy Momsen bikes.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that Momsen, being local, gave good after sale service ( along with PYGA and Morewood)????? Maybe not?

I can't comment on Momsen's service and the communication between you and them, but I can tell you that the standard Weinmann rims that are fitted to the AL129 are below entry level for mountain biking in South Africa. Going down the mild Ghost House downhill at Rosemary is risking it..

I recommend investing in better rims and tyres if Momsen don't/can't help you.

the bike is not the problem the person who sold the bike is at fault, 'cause he should have known that the ZTR crest wheels which are standard on most Momsen bikes have weight restrictions.

one of the LBS tried to sell me a crest wheel set and denied the fact they have a weight restriction and claimed "i sold lots of bikes with these wheels, no problem..."

That is how the cycling industry works.

Momsen will only warranty the frame itself and will only be able to supply you with frames and other products they are the agents for. I'm willing to bet the wheels they offered you were Stans (because they are the importers of Stans). Stans are top notch, but damn expensive.

Take the bike to the bike shop where you bought it. They should send the wheels in to the agent of the brand on your bike (probably Alex). Alex wheels are supplied on 90% of entry level bike and on many high end ones too.

It's quite weird. When you buy a VW, all the parts will be supplied by VW. When you buy a bicycle, the parts are supplied from a number of different sources and the parts are warrantied by different suppliers too. It is not only Momsen that works like this, they all do.

If you want another Alex wheel (I am assuming your bike has Alex), it will have to come from the importers of Alex.

I have only heard good things about Momsen and their back up service.

@Fanievb.....I doubt this bike will have ZTR Crest as he said it was an entry level bike.

Edited by Longbarn Killer

the bike is not the problem the person who sold the bike is at fault, 'cause he should have known that the ZTR crest wheels which are standard on most Momsen bikes have weight restrictions.

I doubt the AL129 has ZTR Crest rims...

The std rims on the AL129 are the Weinmann CN 520 - and from what have seen (a mate of mine has the AL129) they are not fantastic, almost having to be trued every three rides or so (he is built like a rake and must weigh no more than 70kg). I have the AL229 which for what you pay is a good value for money ride. It serves me well, but I will say that the one component on the AL229 which really lets the whole "package" down is the terrible front shock it comes with std - Suntour XCM. This lasted the sum total of 4 months whereby it required a rebuild, so I opted to rather upgrade and make a significant weight saving in the process.

From what I have noticed with the Momsen entry bikes, which is anything from the AL129 right up to the AL329, is that the bikes are spec'd reasonably but there is one component (normally a critical one) that is the spoiler of what could be a really good overall product. In my view the rims on the AL129 and the front shock on the AL229 are the culprits - such a shame......

Edited by ValeYellow

Thanks for everyone's reply. And yes I eventually established the rims are crap, what my biggest concern is here is that Momsen even though they are local doesn't seem to want to help at all.

In an email to them I asked ok cool if the rims are crap what do you recommend...and no one responded, then whan asking them on their FB wall they simply deleted the posts, twice?

and then obviously the point that the AL129 seems to need some attention which then doesn't actually make it as cheap as you think

Thanks for everyone's reply. And yes I eventually established the rims are crap, what my biggest concern is here is that Momsen even though they are local doesn't seem to want to help at all.

In an email to them I asked ok cool if the rims are crap what do you recommend...and no one responded, then whan asking them on their FB wall they simply deleted the posts, twice?

and then obviously the point that the AL129 seems to need some attention which then doesn't actually make it as cheap as you think

Boet you have gone about this the right way. We would wait for their side of the story, but it seems like you've done enough homework before coming here. I would chalk it up to school fees, and look here for some advice on new wheels. Give us some info on yourself and maybe someone even has a spare set lying around that will suit you.

Beyond that, maybe look at getting a spoke spanner. ask for the little red park tool one. It's not that hard to true your wheel when it's only slightly out of whack, a good skill to have.

You actually have a great frame and bike...but it’s sad that all manufactures have to decide on what parts to "sacrifice" when trying to keep the costs down on entry level bikes. Usually that’s on the wheels and fork, and sometimes when those things fail it reflects negatively on the brand. Momsen do make great bikes and frames, I do love my AL529, and it’s a pity that they haven’t responded to your problem.

When I first got into MTB, I bought a cheapie ...I still have it but have needed to replace everything except the frame...and now it’s actually a really nice bike... :-)...a bike is only as good as the sum of its parts!

As I said, your Momsen is a nice bike, maybe scour the classifieds looking for a decent set of wheels...it might be all you need to really enjoy your bike again.

Based on your side of the story...

1. Them not replying = not good

2. What exactly did you expect when you bought the cheapest bike in their 29er range?

3. Bikes are usually spec'ed to a price point so chances are for more or less the same money a competitor will have similar spec / quality. In their case chances are you got good value for money.

4. Your lbs should have informed you on your purchase including the possible pitfalls.

5. Where is your lbs in this story?

Not attacking you, just want to get all the facts out. If your side of it is all of it then its a pity. I have dealt with them and have found their comms and service top notch. Their rep in CT is one of the very few who actually rides himself and really knows his gear.

Edited by The Crow

Based on your side of the story...

1. Them not replying = not good

2. What exactly did you expect when you bought the cheapest bike in their 29er range?

3. Bikes are usually spec'ed to a price point so chances are for more or less the same money a competitor will have similar spec / quality. In their case chances are you got good value for money.

4. Your lbs should have informed you on your purchase including the possible pitfalls.

5. Where is your lbs in this story?

Not attacking you, just want to get all the facts out. If your side of it is all of it then its a pity. I have dealt with them and have found their comms and service top notch. Their rep in CT is one of the very few who actually rides himself and really knows his gear.

Right let me try and respond to this one in particular:

Actually I could get cheaper ones so not entirely the cheapest, what did I expect buying a local bike? Some support? I never attacked them and accused them of selling me junk I asked for advice as I knew nothing and they decided that they did not need to respond. Fine I know now buying from a local brand means nothing as I would have probably gotten the same service buying a Titan or Silverback.

As for my wheel, a friend of mine recommended a place called Yellow Saddle, and in all honesty probably my best experience I have had asking someone advice, He didn't try to rip me off and gave me sound advice. He built me a new rim and it works brilliantly.

As for Momsen well my next bike won't be a Momsen that's for sure.