Momsen Bikes Worst Rims and service?

Boers3un

That is how the cycling industry works.

Momsen will only warranty the frame itself and will only be able to supply you with frames and other products they are the agents for. I'm willing to bet the wheels they offered you were Stans (because they are the importers of Stans). Stans are top notch, but damn expensive.

Take the bike to the bike shop where you bought it. They should send the wheels in to the agent of the brand on your bike (probably Alex). Alex wheels are supplied on 90% of entry level bike and on many high end ones too.

It's quite weird. When you buy a VW, all the parts will be supplied by VW. When you buy a bicycle, the parts are supplied from a number of different sources and the parts are warrantied by different suppliers too. It is not only Momsen that works like this, they all do.

If you want another Alex wheel (I am assuming your bike has Alex), it will have to come from the importers of Alex.

I have only heard good things about Momsen and their back up service.

@Fanievb.....I doubt this bike will have ZTR Crest as he said it was an entry level bike.

No, it isn't. The bike company has to honour the warranty on the components specced on their bikes too. In Momsen's case this warranty is one year, apart from the drivetrain.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it isn't. The bike company has to honour the warranty on the components specced on their bikes too. In Momsen's case this warranty is one year, apart from the drivetrain.

When I bought my bike and had issues with the brakes I was told I had to take it up directly with the agent (SRAM).

Apparenty the manufacturer would only honour frame issues not the various bike parts?

When I bought my bike and had issues with the brakes I was told I had to take it up directly with the agent (SRAM).

Apparenty the manufacturer would only honour frame issues not the various bike parts?

What bike was it?

In Momsen's case, here's the warranty policy…there is a CPA problem with it though:

• Alloy Frames – Race Tech 1, 2, 3 - 5 years from date of purchase
  • Carbon Frames – Race Tech SL – 3 years from date of purchase
  • Suspension Frames – 3 years from date of purchase
  • Original parts as specified by MOMSEN BIKES - All original parts on the bicycle are warranted for a period of one year from the date of purchase.
  • Original Drivetrain parts as specified by MOMSEN BIKES - In the case of wear and tear parts, only three months warranty applies, unless otherwise specified by original manufacturer.
  • Paint Finish and Decals – our paint work / finish and decals are warranted for one year
  • Suspension Units – Front and Rear – these shall be covered by the warranty of the original manufacturer and their related policies

Conditions:

• Warranty applies only to the original owner and is not transferable. ( proof of purchase has to be provided on presentation of the claim )
  • All claims must be presented to an authorised MOMSEN BIKES stockist and dealer.
  • Warranty is against defects in materials and workmanship in the product.
  • The repair or replacement of the effected part is the sole remedy of the warranty
  • Warranty does not apply when damage is caused by improper tightening or over-torqueing of parts on the frame. Eg. Seatclamps, front derailleurs, seatposts, stems, bottle cages etc
  • Warranty claim is null and void if the product has been modified and/or abused and/or neglected
  • Warranty claim is at the sole discretion of MOMSEN BIKES

@Boers3un: you didnt answer the most important question asked above: what is your weight?

110Kg

What bike was it?

In Momsen's case, here's the warranty policy…there is a CPA problem with it though:

• Alloy Frames – Race Tech 1, 2, 3 - 5 years from date of purchase
  • Carbon Frames – Race Tech SL – 3 years from date of purchase
  • Suspension Frames – 3 years from date of purchase
  • Original parts as specified by MOMSEN BIKES - All original parts on the bicycle are warranted for a period of one year from the date of purchase.
  • Original Drivetrain parts as specified by MOMSEN BIKES - In the case of wear and tear parts, only three months warranty applies, unless otherwise specified by original manufacturer.
  • Paint Finish and Decals – our paint work / finish and decals are warranted for one year
  • Suspension Units – Front and Rear – these shall be covered by the warranty of the original manufacturer and their related policies

Conditions:

• Warranty applies only to the original owner and is not transferable. ( proof of purchase has to be provided on presentation of the claim )

• All claims must be presented to an authorised MOMSEN BIKES stockist and dealer.

• Warranty is against defects in materials and workmanship in the product.

• The repair or replacement of the effected part is the sole remedy of the warranty

• Warranty does not apply when damage is caused by improper tightening or over-torqueing of parts on the frame. Eg. Seatclamps, front derailleurs, seatposts, stems, bottle cages etc

• Warranty claim is null and void if the product has been modified and/or abused and/or neglected

• Warranty claim is at the sole discretion of MOMSEN BIKES

Hmm This is interesting

110Kg

And thats the problem I believe.

Yes Momsen not responding is poor but I do believe the LBS should have warned you that the wheels would not be suitable to your weight. Perhaps it was a skinny sales man thinking he would get donnered for telling the boertjie he is fat!! Unfortunately you get what you pay for is also the case here.

My LBS has sorted out any issues I have had with my Momsen, albeit they were minor fitting issues.

Hope they sort you out, sucks not having the right kit.

Bingo was his name

Thanks Bingo, but you do seem to miss the point, at no point did I even throw a warranty at their face, ask them to replace anything or threaten them. What I did do was ask them for help and advice, they chose to ignore this. A simple email or phone call with some advise would have gone miles. Not deleting complaints on their FB wall wall and instead contacting me would be great but no they chose to ignore me and I feel that it is every persons right to know what crap service I received from them whether you use it or not is completely up to you.

As for the rim yea Solomons in woodmead should have said listen guy you might be slightly heavy for this bike think about buying new rims. oh and lets not forget finish line cycles that trued the wheel twice also without saying a word about my weight or that the rim might be stuffed.

Guess all bike shops are sharks and only want to make a quick buck.

next time try out Marco and Greg down the road from Solomons at Cycletech next to Kyalami. I have found they do go the extra mile once they get to know you. Bought 2 bikes from them, had ups and downs, but still go back as they do make an effort.

Thanks Bingo, but you do seem to miss the point, at no point did I even throw a warranty at their face, ask them to replace anything or threaten them. What I did do was ask them for help and advice, they chose to ignore this. A simple email or phone call with some advise would have gone miles. Not deleting complaints on their FB wall wall and instead contacting me would be great but no they chose to ignore me and I feel that it is every persons right to know what crap service I received from them whether you use it or not is completely up to you.

As for the rim yea Solomons in woodmead should have said listen guy you might be slightly heavy for this bike think about buying new rims. oh and lets not forget finish line cycles that trued the wheel twice also without saying a word about my weight or that the rim might be stuffed.

I would hazard a guess that you are wrong about that but that's just me *smk*

Asking for advice and them deleting your complaints ?

I suspect you threw your toys out the cot because the LBS sold you the wrong bike and now you want Momsen to sort it out for you ?

next time try out Marco and Greg down the road from Solomons at Cycletech next to Kyalami. I have found they do go the extra mile once they get to know you. Bought 2 bikes from them, had ups and downs, but still go back as they do make an effort.

MmmmmmI'm sure you're happy but I would rather go to a shop where I don't first have to get 'known' before they will go the extra mile ..... how do you get to that point, drink lots of coffee there, spend x amount? just wondering ....

Is 110kg that heavy, especially for a South African! My GT avalanche was bought when I weighed about the same, wheelset did well over 10,000km with only a spoke that broke! I dont treat my bikes like crap but they are mountain bikes after all and do get ridden in the mountains!

Edited by Mojoman