MotoGP

SeaBee

So Dovi wins on a bike that Wetblanket barely got into the top 10.... whats up with that.

"I wasn't fast enough,” Lorenzo admitted, having finished 14 seconds back of team-mate and race winner Andrea Dovizioso. “I have more top speed and I was very brave, but I wasn't fastest. First [flying] lap I was in 1m 48.8, quite slow, 1m 48.6 next lap. So not a high pace

“But obviously I made a good start, I was third in the first corner and the top speed in sixth gear especially was a lot faster than the other bikes so I could arrive in turn one in first position. 

"So I was thinking, 'OK in FP4 I was one of the guys with better pace'. So I tried to do the same, but Rossi didn't allow me. He overtook me, especially in the middle of the corners. 

“I've been overtaken in the middle of the corners five or six times, which is unusual for me. Also in practice Zarco overtook me there. So it's clear my weak point now is this, I'm too slow [and], too open and they have much [more] corner speed. 

“The second problem is even if I try everything - lot of settings, lot of way of riding - I still don't take profit from the strong points of the bike, which is the entry of the corners. 

“I still prefer too much the exit, but this doesn't compensate for what I lose entering the corners. Riders like Dovi or Petrucci who are hard brakers, at this moment the bike works better for them.” 

As well as being open about his current struggles, Lorenzo was philosophical. Adapting to a bike with such different characteristics as what he rode for eight years was always going to take time. “Believe me, I'm trying everyting,” he assured the assembled press. 

“The Yamaha bike worked, especially here… probably was more natural for my riding. With the Yamaha I was fast from the first three races in 2008. Here I finished on the podium for eight years. 

For the moment [the Ducati] is not natural for me, even if I try my best and am a more complete rider than when I started in MotoGP. But probably is the opposite riding style that the bike demands at this moment. 

“So I'm working with Gigi and the engineers to make the bike turn better, but until this happens it will depend a lot on which track and also will be important to see the speed that I am able to change my riding. 

“Believe me I'm trying everything, to take the maximum of this bike. Change the position on every race, the hand levers, rear brake, the seat. Try to see all the data of all the Ducati riders to see where I lose. I try everything. 

But 20 years riding the same way you cannot change just like this - you cannot learn a new language in two days. This bike you have to ride it a little bit illogical to be competitive. 

“It's the opposite of the Yamaha. For the moment I can do races so-so. Sometimes good races, not excellent. Normally, for the moment, so-so. When I will feel confident with the bike and the bike feels like mine I will again do excellent races.” 

So instead of chastising the Ducati engineers for not building a Ducati like his old Yamaha, he admits that he's the problem and that he needs to adapt. What's your problem with Jorge, Patch? Honestly.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So instead of chastising the Ducati engineers for not building a Ducati like his old Yamaha, he admits that he's the problem and that he needs to adapt. What's your problem with Jorge, Patch? Honestly.

I simply dont like him, not very complicated.

I must say, it was a disappointing race for me in regards to Rossi, but to be honest Yamaha was never in it

Well done to Dovi for the win..

I must say, it was a disappointing race for me in regards to Rossi, but to be honest Yamaha was never in it

Well done to Dovi for the win..

anybody willing to put a prediction in for the championship. It is so wide open.

Not a great weekend for the Yamaha boys... :thumbdown:

Great ride by Dovi. 

But man WHAT a race from MM, he crashed (5) in every single session this weekend and still pull off a 2nd. Very good ride.

Not a great weekend for the Yamaha boys... :thumbdown:

Great ride by Dovi. 

But man WHAT a race from MM, he crashed (5) in every single session this weekend and still pull off a 2nd. Very good ride.

Did you see Vale's Free Practice tyre at the end of the session?! TOAST. Completely buggered. Not surprised they didn't do well, seeing that wear. 

The ironing is strong in this one. Great for Dovi and the Duck, honorable mention to Marquez who still pushed hard after five or so tumbles.  But where are the sneering ones about "too slow" Lorenzo when dr Rossi and young master weren't even in sight. At least Vinales acknowledged he couldn't come to grips with the bike and conditions while Rossi blamed Yamaha for not listening to him after testing last year.

More seriously it must be very hard to ride a tyre eating beast on a greasy track in the stinking heat while last years' bikes are cruising past you. All credit to these guys. The next races will be interesting I hope.

The ironing is strong in this one. Great for Dovi and the Duck, honorable mention to Marquez who still pushed hard after five or so tumbles. But where are the sneering ones about "too slow" Lorenzo when dr Rossi and young master weren't even in sight. At least Vinales acknowledged he couldn't come to grips with the bike and conditions while Rossi blamed Yamaha for not listening to him after testing last year.

More seriously it must be very hard to ride a tyre eating beast on a greasy track in the stinking heat while last years' bikes are cruising past you. All credit to these guys. The next races will be interesting I hope.

People taking Lorenzo/other riders on as part of fan banter is one thing, you are now taking the "sneering" people on. That's a different discussion, careful of it, it usually doesn't end well when you make it personal between Hubbers.

Dovi is winning on the same bike that Lorenzo is struggling on. Both MV and VR had terrible races due to the Yammie not coping in those conditions. It's a false equivalency to try and compare that, so it's not ironic or "ironing".

Was Mav part of the testing last year that VR was referencing? "Blaming Yamaha" erm of course it was Yamaha, I find it highly unlikely that both Rossi and MV simply rode crap on the same day. Do you think they both simply had bad days? ALL the Yamahas struggled, some more than others, but Yamaha is the common denominator.

Tease the riders you don't like all you want, that's what fans do, just don't try and do so with BS arguments.

Edited by Patchelicious

And to add, VR is clearly still struggling with his chest and abdominal injuries. Seems it was worse than reported at first.

Some bikes is better suited to some tracks than others. Catalunya has traditionally been seen as a "Honda" track. 

Catalunya has traditionally been seen as a "Honda" track. 

2008 - Honda

2009 - Yamaha

2010 - Yamaha

2011 - Honda

2012 - Yamaha

2013 - Yamaha

2014 - Honda

2015 - Yamaha

2016 - Yamaha

2017 - Ducati

I am no expert but how come the 'non' factory Yamahas seem to be so much better than the factory bike?

If they are riding the '16 model then maybe the factory guys should have used 2 of those .... just wondering

2008 - Honda

2009 - Yamaha

2010 - Yamaha

2011 - Honda

2012 - Yamaha

2013 - Yamaha

2014 - Honda

2015 - Yamaha

2016 - Yamaha

2017 - Ducati

I stand to be corrected.

2008 - Honda

2009 - Yamaha

2010 - Yamaha

2011 - Honda

2012 - Yamaha

2013 - Yamaha

2014 - Honda

2015 - Yamaha

2016 - Yamaha

2017 - Ducati

Riders? I seem to remember JL doing well there the last few years?