MotoGP

SeaBee

Guest Omega Man

Got to give to Marquez, riding like that after a crash! You can actually see the determination to win in his riding style! Love it!!

Ja. For sure. He is the new benchmark. Doohan, Rossi, Stoner, Lorenzo, Now Marquez.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Add to that... I'm gonna give away my age here... King Kenny, the Fast-Freddy/Steady-Eddie battles... Gardner, the original Aussie succes and sadly, one of my all-time favourites, Wayne Rainey. At least I can say I'm too young to have seen much of Barry Sheene! :whistling:

And in that era two mad hatter showmen and utter crowd favourites that never got (more often than not due to them pushing the envelope till it tore) their true credit - Mamola and Schwantz.

All before that chap called Doohan pitched up...

It's amazing how the bikes have changed in this time! What was utter high-tech and smooooth when ridden in the late 80's now looks downright square and boxy.

Ja and I think the Petersen Bros were saying that current WBSK bikes were 10sec quicker per lap round Jerez compared to the Raymond Roche (1st superbike champion?). The WBSK bikes are between 1 & 2s per lap slower than MotoGP bikes.

Marquez is certainly a breath of fresh air; no tantrums; just smiling after a DQ compared to the somewhat Schumacher like Lorenzo & Pedrosa.

Pity about Spies although his injuries and woes started at Yamaha, not Ducati.

Guest Omega Man

Ja and I think the Petersen Bros were saying that current WBSK bikes were 10sec quicker per lap round Jerez compared to the Raymond Roche (1st superbike champion?). The WBSK bikes are between 1 & 2s per lap slower than MotoGP bikes.

Marquez is certainly a breath of fresh air; no tantrums; just smiling after a DQ compared to the somewhat Schumacher like Lorenzo & Pedrosa.

Pity about Spies although his injuries and woes started at Yamaha, not Ducati.

Ja crazy how the bikes have come on. I speak under correction but I think a modern 1000cc superbike makes more horsepower off the showroom floor than the bikes Doohan rode to his 500cc titles.

I heard an interesting thing about the electronics and people bitching about their use. Rossi reckons you wouldn't be able to make it down pit lane on those bikes without the electronic systems they run.

Edited by Omega Man

• 2 weeks later...

Add to that... I'm gonna give away my age here... King Kenny, the Fast-Freddy/Steady-Eddie battles... Gardner, the original Aussie succes and sadly, one of my all-time favourites, Wayne Rainey. At least I can say I'm too young to have seen much of Barry Sheene! :whistling:

And in that era two mad hatter showmen and utter crowd favourites that never got (more often than not due to them pushing the envelope till it tore) their true credit - Mamola and Schwantz.

All before that chap called Doohan pitched up...

It's amazing how the bikes have changed in this time! What was utter high-tech and smooooth when ridden in the late 80's now looks downright square and boxy.

Add Max Biaggi to that list as well, although more part of the modern era

Actually I'm ambivalent between Lorenzo (mainly because of his comeback from the collarbone break) and Marquez but I feel for Pedrosa.

One crash while leading and his team mate clipping him (that showed how vital electronic aids are) ruined his season when he could have become champion. That's racing.

At least the electronics make it to the showroom bikes and maybe bicycles. How long before downhill bikes have a GPS module that automatically adjusts the suspension for different parts of the track?

I'm rooting for George but either way it is gonna be exciting I reckon. Just hope it doesn't end in tears for either of them.

Marquez! It will be a total travesty if that Aussie (Bernie-in-MotoGP beurocratoc BS) mishap costs him the chance of making history.

Bring it on! Gonna be a cracker of a weekend...

Sorry Skott5, but Mad Max rates nowhere in my books compared to those names. If you just look at how many times Rossi pressured him into a crash, he's no "great". He ruled in 250's and then got his azz handed to him in premium class by Rossi - and even the likes of KRJR and Sete! Sorry, personal opinion... but his name can't even be mentioned next to Rossi, Doohan, Gardner, Lawson, Rainey, KR, Sheene - or of later Stoner (yes, I'd pick him any day of the week ahead of Max, despite retiring way too young) and Lorenzo.

Marquez all the way! Hoping for his sake all goes well and his team mate does not do the same as what happened at Aragon!!

Marquez! It will be a total travesty if that Aussie (Bernie-in-MotoGP beurocratoc BS) mishap costs him the chance of making history.

Bring it on! Gonna be a cracker of a weekend...

Sorry Skott5, but Mad Max rates nowhere in my books compared to those names. If you just look at how many times Rossi pressured him into a crash, he's no "great". He ruled in 250's and then got his azz handed to him in premium class by Rossi - and even the likes of KRJR and Sete! Sorry, personal opinion... but his name can't even be mentioned next to Rossi, Doohan, Gardner, Lawson, Rainey, KR, Sheene - or of later Stoner (yes, I'd pick him any day of the week ahead of Max, despite retiring way too young) and Lorenzo.

Yeah, he's not in the same league as Rossi or Rainey and co, but he made a lot of those races exciting to watch.

He rates for me because he's one of the few that had a successful MotoGP career and went on to win two SBK titles as well.

My money is also on Marquez, although if he doesn't pull it off he can always say it was close but never his goal to win the title this year. I feel for him though as even if he does win it will always be said that it was due to his rivals injuries and the fact that he seems to be made of rubber. I mean 9 or 10 crashes, most of them big and no major breaks. Lucky bugger.

Oh see Rossi has split from Burgess for next year. Suppose when you ride so *** yet your team mate is titla contender, you cant blame the bike anymore so it must be the mechanic..............

Flame suit on :thumbup:

Haha, sk - I'm a huuuuge Rossi fan, always been. But I think we spoke a bit about this earlier in the thread - he's not what he used to be. Age and the Sic incident major contributers - though (and this may be coincidence) I've always felt he never came back the same after breaking his leg some years ago. Like I said, that may just have coincided with "normal" age-based type decline.

I just hope he does not pull a Schumi and "overstays" - he is a true legend and I feel he must go out as such and... actually think it's almost time to end it before it's too late. I think he still relishes the challenge, therein lies a big part of the problem. Still hope he goes on his own terms, maybe end of next year.

Haha, sk - I'm a huuuuge Rossi fan, always been. But I think we spoke a bit about this earlier in the thread - he's not what he used to be. Age and the Sic incident major contributers - though (and this may be coincidence) I've always felt he never came back the same after breaking his leg some years ago. Like I said, that may just have coincided with "normal" age-based type decline.

I just hope he does not pull a Schumi and "overstays" - he is a true legend and I feel he must go out as such and... actually think it's almost time to end it before it's too late. I think he still relishes the challenge, therein lies a big part of the problem. Still hope he goes on his own terms, maybe end of next year.

Sorry, read all that yet only registered the highlighted part, with which I fully agree.

Lol, that being said some peolpe don't stay too long but leave too soon which is even more tragic and which I get reminded of by all my Rossi supporting friends.

Tiiiiiight in FP!

Marquez 18 thousand quicker than Jorge, who is a further 6 thousands quicker than Pedrosa! 24 thousands cover the top 3 - all of course at home.