A new Frame?

Coyote

Coyote' date=' 15k is quite a lot. you dont mention important factors such as your weight, type of rides you do, age, injury problems. If I had 15k I would go for the specialized roubaix.[/quote']

Racing weight -  74kg (aiming for 73kg.)

Type of rides - Starting to develop a taste for the hilly stuff

Age -  33

Injuries - maybe a couple of mental ones - looking at what amount of $ I'm spending on cycling these days.smileys/smiley9.gif

Physical injuries none.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW who gave you that prise for the Giant' date=' cause I'm also shopping around?[/quote']

Westdene Cycles in JHB. They have a medium one on display, one without the integrated seatpost for R10400.

BTW who gave you that price for the Giant' date=' cause I'm also shopping around?[/quote']

Westdene Cycles in JHB. They have a medium one on display' date=' one without the integrated seatpost for R10400.

[/quote']

Thanks, but definately going for the one with ISP, currently riding a TCR carbon, so no point in upgrading to similar frame.

Or in a size Medium and send it to Worcester smileys/smiley36.gif

...and how the freak do you expect me to fit onto a medium??? smileys/smiley36.gif

Do you want a comfortable riding frame with good stiffness or a fast, stiff frame that is only marginally more comfortable riding than an alu frame?

Options mentioned are probably the best value options around for high quality full carbon frames (assuming you buy local).  You can't go too far wrong with the Giant TCR's, Specialized Tarmac or Roubaix or the Scott CR1 Team/Pro.

Specialized Roubaix and Giant TCR Composite are probably similar in ride quality and stiffness.  Moderate stiffness (more than adequate for most racers) but erring on the side of comfort for longer rides than out and out race bikes.  Scott CR1 is stiff and superlight, but probably less harsh than the Specialized Tarmac or Giant TCR Advanced.  The latter give very little consideration towards comfort, focussing exclusively on low weight and ultra stiffness.  As fast as you can get.  Of course you can significantly change the way the bike feels by playing with the wheels and tyres.

In your price range, you need to decide what you would benefit most from buying as it is difficult to buy a crap bike at that price, but easy to buy an unsuitable one.

Don't spend so much,the more you spend the more you are going to loose when you re-sell the bike.Rather look at around 10k.Giant and CR1 are great bikes but second hand are worth nothing(too many of them on the second hand market)you could probably pick up a carbon giant or cr1 second hand between 5-7k.Sold my last s-works tarmac 6 months old R8500 so there are many good deals out there,just decide what you want,put out a post and you will be surprised.

http://www.konaworld.com/Prod/000000198/2K5_KonaDlx_Frame-Listing.jpg

US$600  Bargain for steel and carbon!smiley9.gif

see www.konaworld.com

What about the Cannondale six13 - great racing frame - light and stiff. Not sure about price but would not be too far out of budget ?

What about a Litespeed? The last time I phoned the importer in CT (sorry, I don't have the number anymore) he sold the Tuscany with Reynolds Pro fork for R14 000. Cheaper if you took a cheaper fork.

Decisions Decisions smiley5.gif Glad I am not in your positionsmiley2.gif

I am very happy with my SPECIALIZED Paris Roubaix.

Giant seems to be the best option if you want light weight and performance - seems they are becoming a bit common thoughsmileys/smiley2.gif

Phone Willie Engelbrecht - he's currently running a special on Scotts CR1 Teams with full 10speed 105 groupset - somewhere in the 15K region.

My short list is as follows (in no specific order):smileys/smiley17.gif

Giant TCR Advanced

Cervelo R3 - any one know who I can phone for a quote?

Specialized S-Works Tarmac

Any comments on my list?

My heart still bleeds for a Colnago Christallo but , at R27k (local)  and R23k(abroad), my head will bleed if my wife saw the pricesmileys/smiley18.gif.

Cervelo R3 - any one know who I can phone for a quote?

Here is the recommended selling price for the Cervelo R3:

ConfigurationPricing [RAND]
R3 Team framesetR 15,100.00
R3 Team Ultegra bikeR 23,539.00
R3 Team DuraAce bikeR 27,105.00

Check www.cervelo.com