Cycleops powercal

Also want to know

Use Garmin speed/cadence sensors with PowerCal strap?

Well the Garmin ones talk to the Garmin and the Powercal talks to the Garmin so no conflict, I use that 'combo'. As the Powercal ones are Ant they would also be able to talk to the Garmin?

Hope that makes sense :blush:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the Garmin ones talk to the Garmin and the Powercal talks to the Garmin so no conflict, I use that 'combo'. As the Powercal ones are Ant they would also be able to talk to the Garmin?

Hope that makes sense :blush:

Thx nsBB :thumbup: makes sense, PowerCal is ANT+

Also have a PowerCal, haven't really looked into actually using it as a training tool. just think it's cool to see power numbers.

As it's Ant+, should work with any compatible device. I had it with my old Bryton 35, and with the 40, both work fine.

one thing you notice is the tcx files get quite a bit bigger, and from what I've read, it does chew into battery life a little.

the instant power doesn't really help as it varies quite a lot, the 3s power is probably a better one to look at.

I've got the speed and cadence sensors, so I've got all my info when on the rollers.

Trek Madone has a built in dual speed/cadence sensor, MTB has the Bryton Cadence Sensor.

They probably aren't a necessity as it still gives power figures at spinning.

Does PowerCal work with smart phones with apps like Strave?

no not yet,

the Bluetooth version of PowerCal ONLY works with I phone together with the PowerTap application,

however that said if Stava can support an ANT+ Power Meter then yes it will work you will need to buy a Wahoo ANT+ receiver that plugs into an I phone and then sync the PowerCal accordingly.

If i did the same thing with my TACX and it delivered a less accurate reading of say 200 watts at the start and 8 weeks later the same test gave a reading of 220 watts it's still a 20% improvement. And thats basically what i'm looking for.

As long as you use the same power meter for both tests. To improve i want to increase my power / weight ratio, i'm at the bottom end of my weight scale so i need to increase power, and to test for that you need a power meter. IMHO i would not use a power meter on the road unless you have a set route and do a TT. There are so many factors than influence your ride, like weather, wind, riding alone or in a group, the pace of the group etc, so can you really get meaningfull information from a power meter out on the road. Whereas on an IDT you are sure that your sessions are all gonna be the same.

If my IDT didn't have a power function i'd buy it tomorrow. But untill i've educated myself on the benfits of using a PM on the road i wouldn't bother.

I have a PT road wheel, use it on my IDT as well as road riding. I believe if you don't use a tool properly, why have it?

I agree that the tests need to be done using the same device.

I disagree tho that you can't do a TT or test on the road. I'd keep the same route as this will give you a good idea of the time (problem is robots/intersections etc, only place i can think of is the cradle right now or way in the South). A PM measures power, a direct measure regardless of situation/place/weather conditions. Your test would be to maintain FTP and push harder if you can? If you're riding into the wind or with the wind, uphill or downhill, your goal is FTP or higher so speed, cadence, HR etc are just nice to know numbers in the whole test?

Looking forward having a PT, i'd like something now that will show me left from right leg so you can work on your weaker leg etc. Garmin Vector, crank stuff but 20k is a big toy when you aren't racing for money?

no not yet,

the Bluetooth version of PowerCal ONLY works with I phone together with the PowerTap application,

however that said if Stava can support an ANT+ Power Meter then yes it will work you will need to buy a Wahoo ANT+ receiver that plugs into an I phone and then sync the PowerCal accordingly.

Thanks. I have an Iphone.

Hi Guys

This is my first time commenting on a thread, so if I cross any protocols, forgive me. I have been racing for over 20 years and have been through all the training fads from LSD to F.I.D to HRM and now I have arrived at a cross road: Do I enter into the realm of PM training?

My question is predicated on the following:

- I have multiple bikes, so building multiple wheels or fitting multiple cranks is not a clever investment, regardless of the gain(?) I may get (by equipping one bike and which bike to equip);

- If you are going to do it, do it properly i.e. buy the best and build the best because you can't be half pregnant (It's like using your analogue watch and counting your pulse In your neck with your finger tip to measure HR (-:

I have investigated all of them (yes I am ....!) from PowerTap to SRM cranks, Quark Cranks, P2, as well as PowerCal and the new Garmin system. In one way or another, they all do the job, but not everything I want in one unit for multiple bikes at a single purchase price.

So therefore what I would like is a solution that gives me the best of every aspect of PM training (Training programmes built into a Head Unit, every single measurement (FTP, TSS, JKT, LPP, HRM, Cad, wasted watts) you could wish for instantly available...and more!!. PM readings, interchangeable between all bikes (like a Garmin mount) with no additional hardware (other than perhaps a speed or cadence sensor, MAC/Windows software to download rides - PC internet based software analysis already done) and...able to be used indoor on my IDT when it is raining or I am....lazy!!

Does such technology/unit exist?

Edited by Praslin

The same reason I want to use it. I just want to track my progress over time acc to TSS (or something).

If I do decide to take the powercal which of the following combos would you guys choose?

1. Powercal strap with the edge 500 (is it necessary to buy the extra speed/cadence sensor?)

2. Powercal strap with the joule gps (again, should I buy the extra speed cadence sensor?)

One thing that bothers me with the joule gps is that is automatically starts and stops. You have no control over this. Apparently it also takes a while to pick up a satellite

I am asking about the additional speed/cadence sensors because maybe I want to use it in future on the trainer and what happens if I do want to go for a ride and the unit does not pick up a satellite.

Do you get garmin/cycleops speed sensors only or are all of them speed/cadence combos?

Out of your two options, I would go with option 1. The Garmin + PowerCal

I found the Joule not as userfriendly or as customizable as the Edge.

If you are not bothered with cadence, then no, you dont have to get the garmin speed/cad sensor.

The PowerCal does not require one to work.

The PowerCal is a great tool for someone that wants to track progress and wants to get a better idea of their performance. It is also for someone that does not worry about the initial differences in numbers between a powertap and the tiny little bit of heart rate lag of the PowerCal. It is also for someone that does not want to spend anything from R10 000 to R20 000 on a tool that they are not really going to understand unless they seek advice from a coach that truly understands the data and knows what to do with it.

In other words, it is a great tool for you can me, go for it!

Also want to know

Use Garmin speed/cadence sensors with PowerCal strap?

Everything is ANT+ so it's pretty easy and does work. If you are using the powercal strap you just pair it with your garmin twice. Once as a HR monitor and once as a power meter. Then you pair your speed/cadence if you have one. Works prefect.

Out of your two options, I would go with option 1. The Garmin + PowerCal

I found the Joule not as userfriendly or as customizable as the Edge.

If you are not bothered with cadence, then no, you dont have to get the garmin speed/cad sensor.

The PowerCal does not require one to work.

The PowerCal is a great tool for someone that wants to track progress and wants to get a better idea of their performance. It is also for someone that does not worry about the initial differences in numbers between a powertap and the tiny little bit of heart rate lag of the PowerCal. It is also for someone that does not want to spend anything from R10 000 to R20 000 on a tool that they are not really going to understand unless they seek advice from a coach that truly understands the data and knows what to do with it.

In other words, it is a great tool for you can me, go for it!

+1 on this, have been using one for a while now and I'm happy with it. Read the DC rainmaker review - it's pretty comprehensive and should answer all your questions. Pairing with the Edge is definitely a better option - had the Joule , but the Garmin is much better.

• 3 weeks later...

Surely stimulants should influence the readings? I love an double espresso before a ride and some energy drinks contain caffeine. What you guys think?

Sorry but in my opinion it's a waste of time and money.I have a quarq for road and also thought i would get the powercal to compliment for mtb.Total waste of time and no better than just using HR.As they openly admit the numbers are no where near accurate so might as well not even call it power but some other random name.Yes as asked there are zillion things that affect HR along with the fact that the belt often just stops reading HR and there goes any data you trying to use for your workout.If you can't affoerd a powermeter just stick with your hr monitor that works.In the end I just got frustrated with readings that are waaaaay off and a crappy belt that looses signal every now and then.This all happened within the 1st month I got the thing and yes I did a lot of comparing it with a proper powermeter.If you buy one I promise in a few months it will be at the back of your sock draw like mine.Money wasted.

Surely stimulants should influence the readings? I love an double espresso before a ride and some energy drinks contain caffeine. What you guys think?

They do affect the readings - anything that changes your heart rate at rest will affect the powercal power readings - basically it will over-estimate power - although the specific range of inaccuracy is not clear - as long as you are consistent in your dosage, and timing before a ride - it should not be an issue.

The powercal is not a power measuring device - just a power estimation device - and properly calibrated it is remarkably accurate on long steady pulls - but useless for short sharp type interval work where you are trying to hit specific power targets.

So for example I have a workout which contains 10 minutes of 15 seconds at 150% of FTP and then 15 seconds at 50% of FTP (repeated 20x) - Powercal does not show this particular one well at all - although if you look at the average over the 10 minutes, then they are fairly close - BUT - in power training averages are not all that useful sometimes...

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry but in my opinion it's a waste of time and money.I have a quarq for road and also thought i would get the powercal to compliment for mtb.Total waste of time and no better than just using HR.As they openly admit the numbers are no where near accurate so might as well not even call it power but some other random name.Yes as asked there are zillion things that affect HR along with the fact that the belt often just stops reading HR and there goes any data you trying to use for your workout.If you can't affoerd a powermeter just stick with your hr monitor that works.In the end I just got frustrated with readings that are waaaaay off and a crappy belt that looses signal every now and then.This all happened within the 1st month I got the thing and yes I did a lot of comparing it with a proper powermeter.If you buy one I promise in a few months it will be at the back of your sock draw like mine.Money wasted.

I think a lot of the guys here will disagree with you 120%