94.7 Cycle Challenge 2013

StevieL

What you just said, made no sense.

For your logic to work there should be a straight line start.

then I said it wrong - or you misunderstood...

let me try again: Everyone in a group has to have the same start time, otherwise its a time trial, not a race.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to bitch about the entrance to the Polo fields parking and the Choc Cows.

a. Polo fields parking - if you are going to sell tickets to parking for such a mass event, make sure you van handle the flow... I stay in Kyalami, but had to travel down main onto rivonia to get in... Took me an hour and a half. It could have easily turned into a boxing match, as some pricks could not blink to give you a gap. Usually the wannabees with the expensive carbon bikes and + 3 hours time.

b. Choc - These guys do excellent work, but I had this one specific group that pissed me off big time. We all need to share the road on the day, as we all paid to do the same race (rather read ride). Down the M1, the support riders would clear the lane for the ice cream bike, and it is all good - if you stick to one bloody lane! I also had a trailer that I was dragging, and I tried to keep far left. Until they chased me away. They could not keep up at the next hill, and when they caught me again, they chased me out of the lane the chased me into... Go figure.

If it was mat to mat the race tec results would get the group winning order wrong - every time - guy in lead bunch who starts near the back but finishes 10th will likely be shown as the winner if the other 9 guys in front of him started near the front of the group.

Cycling cannot work mat to mat - unless you want to change the rules of cycling...

according to their rules you are allowed to start anytime after your official start, they do not say this time will be added to your time?

If it was mat to mat the race tec results would get the group winning order wrong - every time - guy in lead bunch who starts near the back but finishes 10th will likely be shown as the winner if the other 9 guys in front of him started near the front of the group.

Cycling cannot work mat to mat - unless you want to change the rules of cycling...

I agree that you can't change this for elite & vets groups, but in the open seeded groups, most people don't care about their position in the group. The thing they care about is their time.

I also had a trailer that I was dragging, and I tried to keep far left.

I think I rode past you in CBD somewhere just before Ghandi Sqaure or something....respect to any rider pulling a trailer of some sorts....

RooiWillie, sincere apologies for that. When it happened for what felt like the hundredth time it was decided that that bike could make its own way through the route as it was obviously not making use of the designated "path clearers".

I freakin hope so! I finished with the last two riders ahead of the sweeper vehicles after the cheerleaders took a bloke who couldn't pedal anymore off my hands and pushed him across the line!

Did my wife and I meet you at the Cyclelab hospitality tent at the end of the day? You did it on that purple single speed roadbike and horrendous tractor look alike shoes?

according to their rules you are allowed to start anytime after your official start, they do not say this time will be added to your time?

I mean same start time within your group / starting batch. Each starting batch is a race - that is how its set up. You may start in a later "race" but not an earlier one...

RooiWillie, sincere apologies for that. When it happened for what felt like the hundredth time it was decided that that bike could make its own way through the route as it was obviously not making use of the designated "path clearers".

It's all good! I wish I had some guys helping me out! Mine left me because of a lack of communication!

But yes, I know it is not everybody that is like that, it was just one cyclist in particular. So it is also an unfounded gross generalization on my side!

so no need to apologize! But thank you still! :thumbup:

Anyone know what happened to those involved on that hectic downhill crash on Homestead? It looked really bad. That stretch of the road is notoriously bumpy.

I agree that you can't change this for elite & vets groups, but in the open seeded groups, most people don't care about their position in the group. The thing they care about is their time.

No doubt true, the exception being those that for what ever reason choose to contest the win.

I usually don't care - probabaly becasue I am not in the runnning. But once or twice*, when the planets aligned, I've found myself in a position to sprint for the win in some lowly alphabet group. Then suddenly I care. Go figure ;)

OK, once then I admit it

Anyone know what happened to those involved on that hectic downhill crash on Homestead? It looked really bad. That stretch of the road is notoriously bumpy.

Yes my good m8 Jacques was hit side on by another rider at 60km/h. he went down really hard, i dont think there was a spot on him that wasnt scraped. Shaken, he got up, got bandaged, and got back riding, finishing in 3:13 - quite remarkable. Fit SOB!

His bike was quite damaged.

when we finally saw him at the CL hospitality, he was still ashen faced. what an ordeal.

Yes my good m8 Jacques was hit side on by another rider at 60km/h. he went down really hard, i dont think there was a spot on him that wasnt scraped. Shaken, he got up, got bandaged, and got back riding, finishing in 3:13 - quite remarkable. Fit SOB!

His bike was quite damaged.

when we finally saw him at the CL hospitality, he was still ashen faced. what an ordeal.

Any info on the other riders? We passed the scene and there was a rider still lying on the ground who had already been intubated, another one who was on a stretcher and another sitting bleeding on the grass verge. A short distance further on the other side of the road another rider was also being immobilized where they had fallen. It was really horrid to see riders down like this. I really hope they are all healed up soon.