94.7 Cycle Challenge 2013

StevieL

Did my wife and I meet you at the Cyclelab hospitality tent at the end of the day? You did it on that purple single speed roadbike and horrendous tractor look alike shoes?

We did ;) Those are 20 year old leather hiking boots!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my wife and I meet you at the Cyclelab hospitality tent at the end of the day? You did it on that purple single speed roadbike and horrendous tractor look alike shoes?

Aren't they called "veld skoene"

And I'm pretty sure there was only 1 AgterOs there yesterday.

@AgterOs

You still messed around in the hospitality area ?

Thought that you would have been tired of messing around JHB for over 10hrs ??

My wife gets my vote for perseverance on the day. She started in batch HH just before 09h00 and finished at 16h30. I think she cried all the way from the dip at the N14 to the end. She says spectator encouragement helped her all the way to the end, they even went through her rucksack and fed her whatever was left in there. She just made the last cut off point and encouraged her to rather push through than be swept. She had a brain op in April and this was her first real long ride since being back in the saddle. Trots op jou my engel!

My wife gets my vote for perseverance on the day. She started in batch HH just before 09h00 and finished at 16h30. I think she cried all the way from the dip at the N14 to the end. She says spectator encouragement helped her all the way to the end, they even went through her rucksack and fed her whatever was left in there. She just made the last cut off point and encouraged her to rather push through than be swept. She had a brain op in April and this was her first real long ride since being back in the saddle. Trots op jou my engel!

Blerrie hel!! Dit wil gedoen wees. Good Job!!

I started in the I group and for some reason there were no bunches anywhere. It’s not that I dropped back with the pace either, I rode with the first couple of guys in the group, we caught up to H but as soon as the hills started the group shattered, then on the downhill’s it was everybody for themselves and only about 3 times did we stay in a group for longer than 5 minutes. I really battled in the wind leading up to the N14. Did this happen to any other groups?

I started in the I group and for some reason there were no bunches anywhere. It’s not that I dropped back with the pace either, I rode with the first couple of guys in the group, we caught up to H but as soon as the hills started the group shattered, then on the downhill’s it was everybody for themselves and only about 3 times did we stay in a group for longer than 5 minutes. I really battled in the wind leading up to the N14. Did this happen to any other groups?

Started in F - experienced the same... Where were all the other 20 000 riders? I did the whole thing on my own with everybody else being either too fast to follow or to slow to trail...!

I started in H.

Firstly I pitched up in the pen at 6:10 for a 7:03 start and there were tons of people :mellow: What time do they get there?

Had a good ride, no real bunch that I stuck with, just bits and pieces ( H,G and I guys) until after the second bump on the N14. Then the whole thing fell apart. I felt ok and just went.

All round I'm quite happy with a 2:57

I started in H.

Firstly I pitched up in the pen at 6:10 for a 7:03 start and there were tons of people :mellow: What time do they get there?

Had a good ride, no real bunch that I stuck with, just bits and pieces ( H,G and I guys) until after the second bump on the N14. Then the whole thing fell apart. I felt ok and just went.

I started in H.

Exactly the same with me, I thought the N14 was going to be a breeze and that I will sit in the hive all the way home and recover my lost 2 minutes I was trailing the split with but the whole thing fell apart on the second hill... MIssed a sub 3 with 14 seconds in the end.

Dude!! Only now do I realise that I was chatting to you on my second loop! There were 3 of us doing a second loop together when we caught up to you and started chatting, myself on a white and red Pinarello, another on a white and black Pinarello and the third on a white Argon 18. We were in black and grey "Parkview Night Riders" kit (Below)

1391512_10151735975231200_1032637337_n.jpg

hahaha, yes man, sorry I didn't recognize you! well done with that time on the first lap!

I started in H.

Started in H as well. Agree that there were no groups to join at all. Started in the middle of the batch and by the time I reached the M1, you could see the bunch streched out by 500-750m already, with the guys riding single file or 2 abreast. No groups to talk about for the entire race. Groups either too fast or too slow. The rolling hills did not help either. The big okes got dropped on the climbs and would come screaming down on the descents. Had a blast though. Came in on a personal best of 3:06. Maybe will get the sub 3 next year.

The climb on the n14 was each man for himself.

One thing that just came back to me, I parked down Maxwell Dr. and when I returned to my car, the guard (who was not the one who promised to look after my car when I parked) mentioned to me that he had been looking after the vehicle for me.

I reached into my pocket and gave him the last R10 I had on me. "No" was the response. The cost for this is R20 and he showed me a piece of paper about 3cmx2cm on which I could almost make out a printed R20.

Now I don't mind paying the guys, I do however mind the fact that I was not informed by the official looking parking attendant when leaving my car there only to be told this by the not so official guy 6 hours later.

That was an illegal parking guard. Only pay parking was Polofields......Maxwell or VD Bijl are free...........

Edited by lovestocycle

Listen to this brother :thumbup:

I hear what you guys say and don't get me wrong,I am a dedicated cyclist but also realize we have to share the road with cars too.....I no longer drive back after a ride at the Cradle via Avianto etc as guys are riding 2-3 abreast or in the middle of the road (no, not the big bunches, I am talking 2-5 riders), and when you give them a quick hoot to warn them they are quick to give you the middle finger.

We've got the main event and the MTB etc, so I still believe it is unnecessary frivolity...........Pic with Phil and breakfast etc.but no mention of the ride...........hhhhmmmm

Edited by lovestocycle

Aren't they called "veld skoene"

And I'm pretty sure there was only 1 AgterOs there yesterday.

@AgterOs

You still messed around in the hospitality area ?

Thought that you would have been tired of messing around JHB for over 10hrs ??

Anything for a free cap and t-shirt.. and a Bicycling magazine :D.. .Ooh and free drinks! I declined the offer of food.

Haha, ok, well, time for new ones! Nice meeting you anyhow.......

Never! They work quite well on cheapy pedals (Their second 94.7 now!)

Your wife finished a bit earlier than what I did (17:00 ish), otherwise I could have helped her along. Well done to her toughing it out to the finish!