27.5 inch Wheel - Advantages

Gringo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, quite a debate.

I personally think the 27.5's are a way of the future. Just like the 29ers have dominated the market up until now. But the market is always changing and you can never keep up with the changes. It all comes down to personal preference, what works for one person, doesn't work for another...

That would be for you and how/where you ride and can not be taken as a blanket statement saying that it is the future for all.

Wow, quite a debate.

I personally think the 27.5's are a way of the future. Just like the 29ers have dominated the market up until now. But the market is always changing and you can never keep up with the changes. It all comes down to personal preference, what works for one person, doesn't work for another...

Fantastic....I will pick one up this afternoon. :whistling:

Dude - stop arguing - small 29ers - it can't be done:

http://www.bikeradar...ly-elite-30569/

And Willow of course:

http://www.cyclingne...S&attr=features

And that was waaaaay back in 2010 when they knew nothing about geometry.

Eldron, are you officially pulling the plug on my fun? haha

I'm sure that all the experts, interviews and articles state that it absolutely cant be done.

But on that note then, why do the companies make them?

I have mine and will continue to ride them and have an obscene amount of fun and am befuddled? Am I riding on clouds made of whisps of dream smoke? No.... I ride them, they rock, other little people have ridden them and say they rock.

So maybe in theory they are impossible but the fact that they exist and people enjoy riding them (a lot) makes statements like 'can't be done' seem rather ridiculous.... They do exist, they have been done.... If seeing is believing then I will even send you a picture... of me riding my bike with a huge smile on my face (which is kind of why we ride bikes in the first place)

Edited by singlespeedGuy

That would be for you and how/where you ride and can not be taken as a blanket statement saying that it is the future for all.

Erm.....Exactly what i said. 'IN MY OPINION (me, I, singular not plural, non blanket, my view) it is the future'.

People are SO defensive. I didn't write the article...I merely commented on it with MY personal view?

Fantastic....I will pick one up this afternoon. :whistling:

Great!! Just don't tell anyone...top secret

Erm.....Exactly what i said. 'IN MY OPINION (me, I, singular not plural, non blanket, my view) it is the future'.

People are SO defensive. I didn't write the article...I merely commented on it with MY personal view?

post-5403-0-90423600-1377692472_thumb.jpg

Dude - stop arguing - small 29ers - it can't be done:

http://www.bikeradar...ly-elite-30569/

And Willow of course:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-willow-koerbers-subaru-trek-trek-superfly-elite?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=features

And that was waaaaay back in 2010 when they knew nothing about geometry.

2 articles which illustrate my point perfectly - thanks.

Oh and I'll take you a friendly wager that the lovely Ms Batty will be on a 650b as soon as Trek build one. :-)

This is why I was quite surprised by the large number is 29ers. The Pmb XCO course is harsh. ~300m of climbing in 7.5km with a large number of rocks gardens, drop offs, dusty rooted climbs, tight switchbacks etc.

There are NO flat sections.

If I had a choice I probably would have ridden a 650B. I only have 1 race bike (a 29er) so thats what I used.

Jeremy Thomson was riding a rather nice looking and very light feeling Pyga 650b carbon hardtail at masters. Chatting to him after our race he is very chuffed with it.

2 articles which illustrate my point perfectly - thanks.

Oh and I'll take you a friendly wager that the lovely Ms Batty will be on a 650b as soon as Trek build one. :-)

there is also that lady on the crank brothers team who changed cranks to 165mm length so they could raise her saddle by 5mm to help with the saddle bar drop (scale 29er), that's getting ridiculous, especially with a 25 degree stem and top of her headset removed...you shouldn't have to go to those lengths to get a bike to fit.....

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Kofman-Scale-details.jpg

• 6 months later...

Don't think Specialized will go the 650B route yet, they've invested too much bucks in the 29".

Like I said in other thread, hubby slapped some 650B's on his Zula and loves it.

Is your husband still riding this? How has the long term review been?

Did he get a 650b fork or just use a 26' fox?

Negative. Our obsession with anything "marathon" makes the 29er the "better choice"

Take out the obsession, and wheel size becomes irrelevant. In fact, if people understood geometry better, they'd realise that the biggest factors are Head Tube angle, chainstay length and BB height / drop. Not wheel size.

That is why I ride a Niner :whistling: