1.73m tall - buying large bike? (any advice would be appreciated)

YSbeginner

Hi

Just wanted to know what the downsides are to getting a bigger bike than i should. i know that at my height a small or medium bike would be a good fit. I'm a beginner and i can get a good deal on a second hand large framed bike.

Just wanted general comments on using the wrong size bike, possibly from past experience.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you buy it and ride it as is, it could get very uncomfortable and if you do a setup, it could get expensive, as special sized parts will be needed. But to start with could be fine while you scout for the correct size. You will most probably need a 54/52 road bike or a 19" mtb for optimal fit.

What bike is it?

Same height as me. I'm pretty comfy on a medium, but according to a bike shops measurement I can fit on a large as well. It's not just overall height, but arm, leg and torso dimensions as well. And different manufacurers have different measurements for the same size bike. Best would be to hop on the bike and feel if it's comfortable. Standover height might be an issue, but only when getting on the bike. If it's not too much bigger than what would be ideal for you, you could probably just put on a shorter stem.

Edited by Jacquers

ha!

I wont get too into this but seriously, you shouldn't do it.

I am taller than you and I ride a small (I know the nay sayers will scream they don't work bla bla) but a large will just be horrible.

Or not... Each to their own I suppose. Maybe you will like it.

Good luck

On a medium but 1.85, always had issues with lower back pain and now it's gone. Don't take sizing as a given. Theres many variables.

It all depends but I'm 175 and on dirt I ride Small and Medium depending on bike as I like a smaller frame for trails. On road I've got a medium TCR and it's perfect.

There is no way I'd consider a large in my height even though there is always loads of good deals on larges. Wait it out, look around and find the right sized bike for your height. You're going to have it for a long time and much like a wife, get one that is a great fit, you work together well and wasn't something that seemed like a good idea because it was cheap and good looking. ;)

Edited by hellocolour

If you buy it and ride it as is, it could get very uncomfortable and if you do a setup, it could get expensive, as special sized parts will be needed. But to start with could be fine while you scout for the correct size. You will most probably need a 54/52 road bike or a 19" mtb for optimal fit.

WTF ? Did you even read the guys post ? You make no sense what so ever.... 173cm on a 19" ?

I am 1.73m and ride a medium MTB and 54cm (Medium) road bike.

There is no way that a large bike will fit me.

Don't do it.

I'm 186cm and ride a large... do not buy a large. Amongst other things, you will experience physical pain in places you do not want to, as you stretch for the handle bars, and rotate your pelvis too far, even if you are seriously flexible.

don't do it!!! i'm 1.71m

i road for years on frames that were to big for me.

when i finally got the correct size frame my sprint was far far better just because i could throw the bike around better.

it will detriment your riding, and can lead to having a sore back and neck that only a smaller frame will fix

i rode a large dualie, had lower back cramps numbness etc i then went to a med ht, felt so much better no cramps or pains, now ive bought a med dual as well... im 1.83 tall i can ride med/large, the smaller of the two has worked out better