• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To paraphrase someone quite infamous:

It's not about the bike!

Just Enjoy

IMHO Steel is Real, but that's been said before.

If I had to ride my 29r knobblies for the argus, I would have to buy a new back tyre afterwards. Soo 2 hundred bucks for slicks, or 700 for a new Schawlbe.. its a no brainer.

guys who do complain are probably trying to watch their image, cause cycling is all about image..

material is all dependent on purpose and budget.

Planning to race with the elites or do Time trials and do serious damage, then carbon, and lots of it is your choice (and a lighter wallet).

Planning to be a weekend warrior and occasionally ride hard on the occasional race, Alu may save your wallet, but not all your fillings.

If however, you want a smooth ride, and you can appreciate the good things in life, and you used to race hard, and now only do it for the kicks (an to beat junior legally) then steel or titanium are the materials of choice.

Obviously Campy is the only groupo.

Planning to race with the elites or do Time trials and do serious damage, then carbon, and lots of it is your choice (and a lighter wallet).

Planning to be a weekend warrior and occasionally ride hard on the occasional race, Alu may save your wallet, but not all your fillings.

If however, you want a smooth ride, and you can appreciate the good things in life, and you used to race hard, and now only do it for the kicks (an to beat junior legally) then steel or titanium are the materials of choice.

Carbon for me too. It is much smoother and more forgiving. Also little bit lighter and also much more bragging rights in the pub after a few pints.

I ride an aluminium, not that great a rider that I'll find a carbon smoother and more forgiving. Ride because I love being on the bike, sometimes more than others and have made good mates with similar minded guys, not interested in the bragging rights at all. Ride what you feel comfortable on and what suits the wallet.

CAAD or SWorks Allez is as light and stiffer than carbon frames in th low and mid price range.

My Alu CAAD is nearly a kg lighter than my carbon bike and way stiffer with its BB30.

Comfortable? These are race bikes. If you want comfort buy a sportive or fit 25c tires.

I ride an aluminium, not that great a rider that I'll find a carbon smoother and more forgiving. Ride because I love being on the bike, sometimes more than others and have made good mates with similar minded guys, not interested in the bragging rights at all. Ride what you feel comfortable on and what suits the wallet.

That is what everyone has been saying. If you have the cash, Carbon. If not Alu almost as good. My friends that are fitter than me kick my ass. They wil do it on a R995 Makro or Game or Cash converters bike. That does not bother me, when I ride I want to feel good, have fun, love life and eat up the miles. And for me, I do that best on a Carbon bike.

Steel is really the best, but expect to pay hugely for a Reynolds 953 frame.

Alloy can be very light, lighter than some carbon frames in some instances.

Specialized are launching the new Allez in 2014, it's probably the lightest road bike they will have and also uses a special manufacturing process.

Purely because a Reynolds 953 i so costly I would then opt for carbon.

I fand some carbon frames to offer an incredibly smooth ride.

Saying that, a very good alloy frame with a nice set of wheels can pretty much deliver the same.

My alu Scott does just fine. Been wanting a carbon machine for a while but simply can't justify it. And I'm always reminded that the bike matters very little when I pass a fat guy on a legit dogma with my cheap alu frame.

Your legs make the difference, the big makes you spend.

And less weight on your wallet isn't what you're going for!

I'm a fan of the alu frames. Do still want to try carbon one day, but not yet.

And I also second the wheels. Wheels will make the biggest difference, so buy alu and fit some decent wheels and a good grouppo. You'll love your bike.

Its not the frame material but the engine that determines speed. A good quality aluminium frame is better than a low quality carbon one.

If I had to buy a new frame, Cannondale CAAD10 would be at the top of my list.

I will never win races I just want to keep up