Single track blockers

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven if you were racing for a position then you needed to use the gravel road section at the start to get in front of the slower riders. Remember that in the race briefing riders are asked to give way when there is place to do so and there is not always place to pull over on singletrack to allow faster riders past. That been said the singletrack at Hopewell is not very narrow so I don't see how one rider could hold so many people back for so long.

I hear you but part of the problem was probably going too hard in the start and then running out of steam by the time the juicy stuff starts. I generally tends to start off slowly, taking my time to get warmed up. I mean I'm never going to be in winning contention but I still have a goal timewise.

I have learnt my lesson though, next time I'll start as far forward as possible to avoid getting stuck behind the slower guys and if by some chance I still get blocked I'll give him 2 friendly requests before being a bit more agrressive in getting by within reason obviously.

If there is space for the rider to move over a little so a pass can be made, Ask politely if you can go past, if that fails, maybe be polite one more time and ask again(they may not have heard), a little louder. If that fails, you then shout coming through and go for it. Thats what i do, and thats that. If they get bumped in the process...........it will be a lesson for them.

Best of all though is to be ahead of the slower riders and un-clippers from the start.

I'm always amused at these whines. The easy answer - ride faster or be prepared to be patient. The klap and go through anyway comments need to consider that slooow okes are often biiiig okes. Not a good unit to try barging tactics on. If you were that fast on single track you'd go through without a problem. Lots of single track speedsters are legends in their own eyes only.

I'm always amused at these whines. The easy answer - ride faster or be prepared to be patient. The klap and go through anyway comments need to consider that slooow okes are often biiiig okes. Not a good unit to try barging tactics on. If you were that fast on single track you'd go through without a problem. Lots of single track speedsters are legends in their own eyes only.

I am definately not a single track speedster and I didn't create this thread as a platform to brag about how much faster I was than said blocker. I have his name from the race results and could've named him but that was not my intention.

It was to rant a bit about the situation and in doing so I now have a better idea of how I should deal with the situation next time. But thanks for the contru=ibution anyway bud, it's really appreciated.

Learn how to "Buzz" a rider infront of you. Works a charm. Bit dangerous, but sometimes it's necessary.

With the amount of people stopping for flats I really wanted to avoid the possibility of running through the rough.

With the amount of people stopping for flats I really wanted to avoid the possibility of running through the rough.

Perhaps he wanted to avoid running through te rough too for the same reason? :ph34r:

Silly rant.

If you find yourself behind a slow rider on the single track you can:

1: be patient till there is a chance for you to pass (there always is, get creative)

2: get off the single track and rough it for a few meters to get past - uses lots of energy

3: be a **** and shout and whine and scream and buzz, and risk an incident.

4: make a mental note to train harder and get seeded better

5: get to the race start well before it starts so you have your wheel on the startline, with free track ahead (get ready to be whined at if you cant keep on the sharp end...)

You've highlighted the reason I don't ride any of these paid events any more. Unless you are racing (which means at the front), its far cheaper and more enjoyable to go ride your own tracks on your own time, without the inconvenience of hordes of plonkers.

And if you do want to compete in an event, I recommend an enduro race if you can find one, where you have individual starts and generally more considerate riders that you're likely to be chatting with on the liasons.

Just a clear and concise "coming through, passing on your left/right!" should do, then gun it making your intentions clear.

Its trail etiquette.

I've taught it to my kids and its good to see them calling to pass instead of riding someone off the path or crashing

:ph34r: MTB etiquette? After being a noobie mtber for 3 weeks I entered my first race, the ASG nite race and I thought you just blow past the slower guy on the side of the tracks once you catch up with him, or is that just GP mentality ... my mistake. I wouldn't bother the slow guy in front much, just warn them coming past right and go for it.

I must admit though, I did have a flat 500 m from the finish so guess my first upgrade will have to be stans. Despite the slower riders and 1 fall, I enjoyed the ride so much I can't wait for the next one. :offtopic:

It's PE - we don't get seeded :-)

Yes you do. You just think the popping is "normal" when you light them up in the morning / afternoon / evening.

That's the problem wiff you PE okes. Never can wait enough to remove the frikkin pips first. That's why it's so flippin ROFF.

:ph34r:

You've highlighted the reason I don't ride any of these paid events any more. Unless you are racing (which means at the front), its far cheaper and more enjoyable to go ride your own tracks on your own time, without the inconvenience of hordes of plonkers.

And if you do want to compete in an event, I recommend an enduro race if you can find one, where you have individual starts and generally more considerate riders that you're likely to be chatting with on the liasons.

Indeed. MUCH rather pay R 360 a year to ride Tokai than R 200 per race minimum and have to contend with stravassholes.