Cycling Clubs and Cyclists beware!!! The Hi jackers are here!

A.S.G. U Suck

I have been cycling for years! I’ve been riding since the days of Deal & Huth Cycles, Alpina Bicycles, Le Jean Bicycles, Peugot Bicycles and the gold old days of Hansom Cycles….if you have the amount of grey hair I have, road roasties etc you’ll remember these names.

These where the days of honest cycling before the modern day thieves and “back hander” politicians arrived on the scene…the days when Pedal Power Association was the In thing to register with.

My Rant and Rave is about how the modern day code of ethics have fallen by the way side for the simple exploitation of cyclists and their ease and willingness to spend and pay to participate in their sport at weekend races (and isn’t that calendar just full!) The average of R180.00 per race is small change…..nowadays.

Most cyclist entering a race doesn’t know the amount of work and organization that goes into hosting such an event, and when it was well organized then it was money well spent ….right?

Cyclists also don’t know that if they arrive in their masses (over 2000 is a good number!!) …. just how much money the race organizer can make for your 3 – 4 hours of blood sweat and tears, odd puncture or two, and if you’re luck and don’t fall then you get a piece of metal worth no more than R15.00!! Whoopy!!

The sad story is that the Jakaranda Satellite Classic race was hosted by Jakaranda Cycling Club since 2000 (known before as the Telkom Cycling Club), with great success. We all know about Hekpoort (and don’t we just love the rolling hills ….almost as much fun as Suikerbossie…not!).

It has come to light that A.S.G. Events and Mr Wyand de Villiers (Cycling News) have gone and done their “trickery” with CSA to actually Hi Jack the event from the originating and founding club the Jakaranda Cycling Club.

So why am I making such a big fuss about a little old Sunday morning cycle race….Well little do the cyclists know that the Jakaranda Cycling Club (JCC) is affiliated with the Jakaranda Children’s Home (JCH). The Jakaranda Cycling Club has been a financial sponsor of the JCH development cycling team for the past few years.

The Jakaranda Satellite Classic event has been the very instrument the club has used for the past years to earn revenue to fund the development, upkeep and maintenance of the semi professional team in the Jakaranda Children’s Home at a cost of no less than R65,000.00 per year for the absolute basics.

The Jakaranda Satellite Classic has become one of those “must ride” races and serves as a seeding event for the Cape Argus Cycle Tour. The profile of the race also makes it a true test for a cyclists endurance and fitness, it’s not for the faint hearted. The race is seen by many as the closest measure on how you’ll do at the Argus because of Hekpoort.

By Hi-jacking the event neither parties have undertaken to fund the Jakaranda Children’s Home development cycling teams , not even as much as a Pinarello Bicycle….or any one piece of anything from the other 21 brands of products they boast to import and sell to us unawares cyclists.

If you don’t believe me…then be my guest and contact the JCH and find out for yourself, as this is fact.

A.S.G. events & holdings , Mr de Villiers & Gregory van Heerden - Secretary General Cycling South Africa all feel this is nothing and that is fine to go about their business to Hi jack events such as:

Jakaranda Satellite Classic from Jakaranda Cycling club (brand.cilliers@telkomsa.net)

Emperors Palace Classic from Edevale Pedallers (trevor@edenvalecycling.co.za

I’m also sure the next one to go very soon is the Jock, I wonder if the Baberton Cycling club is aware of what’s about to happen to their race….

All these events where started by the relevant clubs and with their hard work, diligence and marketing over the years we have become aware of them and driven miles to go an support and ride them, because we’re cyclists. Then just to have the event Hi-jacked when it reaches financial value. It goes against the grain….

If this is the way Cycling South Africa is going to conduct itself and sell out the Cycling Clubs to which ever company offers to sponsor their management people the it’s time to rather support the Pedal Power Association as the representative organization for cycling in South Africa and David Belairs you have my vote!! What a great job CTCTT is doing in Cape Town!!

And you don’t have to pay the stupid CSA license fee to ride the Argus Cycle Race!! What has CSA done to improve the Argus Cycle Race as the Largest Timed Cycling event in the World! Nothing!!

Here’s a stern warning to any Cycling Club out there that has a cycling event worth of some cash profit, whatever you do Do not call the Boogie Man or his events company cause you’ll surely have no race before you wipe the sweat out of your eyes!

As a cycling consumer….today I undertake to advise as many other cyclists of what is taking place right under your spokes.

And as we’re all going to boycott E-Toll….we can boycott them...

I ask you all to stand by me and boycott any A.S.G event and sports, Not to buy any of their 21 brands of products because we’re being exploited and firms such as these are not worthy of our cash. Without us buying their products and supporting their events they are nothing.

Our club of 200 members will not support them, and I'm sure our friends at Edenvale will also not.

The RED list is:

Pinarello bicycles, Rudy Projects, Sidi shoes, Zefal, Sanmarco saddles, Fulcrum wheels, FTech cycling gear, FFWD Fast Forward wheels, and so on….

And don’t support their sponsors the likes of BestMed, etc.

There are many other alternative to buy than any of the above products, and if you have to buy one of them use www.chainreactioncycles.com it’s cheaper!!

It's a sad day for cycling in South Africa when we have to resort to this type of action to protect our rights ias cycling clubs and as individuals.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't we see the same bitching rant a good while ago?

Unfortunately, you pleas will fall on deaf, overpaying ears.

Most cyclists don't care who's in charge. As long as they can pay for an entry and get their medal.

Also think the post has a familiar ring to it ...

What I'm gathering after re reading this post is that you're pissed that ASG has taken over the event and now no one is sponsoring a kids home cycle team?

I do hope this sounds less abrasive than it will, as it's not intended to be as abrasive as it will sound.

Why should I care?

Firstly, I feel that starting a trend like this in a child's home is irresponsible. A sport that costs 65k a year? Surely that money could be far better spent! Now you've gone and crushed some kids dreams, when you put them there in the first place. Again, irresponsible.

Secondly, I can't be the only one who isn't a fan of "development teams". When I've been involved in races where they are, all I've experienced is snobbish little asshats who walks around like the world owes them the world. They don't greet, they don't act like friendly human beings, and certainly no one is teaching good road manners. And shall we all remind ourselves of the little incident regarding some development riders and bike thefts? I don't care much for them. If only they could appear more grateful.

I know this will be an extremely unpopular opinion, but it's time we take a look at what we're doing. Someone screwed up here. If you can't keep hold of your event, SHAME ON YOU! you must have been the kid in high school who couldn't keep hold of his tuck money. Time to stand up for yourself there champ! Set an example to the less fortunate kids by giving them a life skill.

Anyway, I digress. I believe you're just pissed because you feel bullied and now you're crying to a teacher. You don't deserve to own the event if you can't keep hold of it. And don't try to guilt trip us into boycotting ASG by using the little kiddies. That's poor form.

Good luck with your boycott campaign sir. Oh and lest I forget - anyone getting rid of their ASG sourced gear as part of this boycott, I'll be willing to collect:)

Edited by AfdElite

I have ridden with / and sponsored some of these kids. They come from really difficult backgrounds. If you dont give them an healthy alternative lifestyle to pursue, they can easily fall back into bad social habits. To get up and train cycling with a club on weekends while your mates are sleeping fosters great discipline. These boys and girls are always extremely thankfull and very well mannered. Rest assured that they perform well enough to make it worthwhile from a cycling point of view.

Feel free to differ from the OP about certain points, but don't ever doubt that these kids benefit directly from the club and that it is areally worthwhile cause.

Yes, I am a member of the club and no I am not involved in any management role.

The OP has some good points.

The big guys like muscling in on a scene when the hard work has been done for the years past and now the easy money and high profile is theirs for the taking. Doesn't help that CSA probably has the same mentality, all about the money in their pockets.

The club managed event was about grassroots, the corporate takeover/sponsorship is just about money and brand awareness..... Screw everything else.

Edited by Skylark

That's it! My mind is made up!

Never again will I buy a Pinarello, Rudy Project helmet, or enter this road race! :ph34r: :lol:

Ok, I never did purchase or enter any of the above anyway, and never planned on starting...

but I am pretty tired of those "CHECK OUT THESE CLEARANCE ITEMS #37253" threads...

Each day I see a new one, I dunno why but I expect to see some sort of killer deal that I can't refuse... so I click... but nope... same poop, different day! :ph34r:

Edited by patches

Didn't we see the same bitching rant a good while ago?

Unfortunately, you pleas will fall on deaf, overpaying ears.

Most cyclists don't care who's in charge. As long as they can pay for an entry and get their medal.

As I can remember the previous posting in this tone was one of the few ever that was totally removed after the sponsor, who also is a Hub sponsor, complained.

I agree that the Sattelite is a challenging race.

That's it! My mind is made up!

Never again will I buy a Pinarello, Rudy Project helmet, or enter this road race! :ph34r: :lol:

Ok, I never did purchased or entered any of the above anyway, and never planned on starting...

but I am pretty tired of those "CHECK OUT THESE CLEARANCE ITEMS #37253" threads...

Each day I see a new one, I dunno why but I expect to see some sort of killer deal that I can't refuse... so I click... but nope... same poop, different day! :ph34r:

Mmmmmmmmm...there's a lot of bait marketing on the hub these days... :whistling: