BEST BICYCLE FOR THE ARGUS

renburg

I intend to participate in the Argus Cycle Tour 2014 for the first time. I am 45 years old, 1,74metres tall and have been cycling for approximately a year and participated in approximately x10 MTB Challenges. I have a 2012 model 26inch MTB and accumulated approximately 3000km on same.

1. Would you recommended that I acquire slicks and utilise my 26inch MTB being a bicycle with which I am comfortable?

2. Would you recommend that I acquire a 29er? I was informed that I will improve my time in relation to a 26inch MTB.

3. Would you recommend that I acquire a road bicycle?

My intention is to enjoy the ride in an average time for my age.

Kindly furnish me with your advice.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Hub.

Do you do other Road Races or only the Argus. I see you list your interests as MtB. If this is your prime focus?

Then I would look at possibly an upgrade to a 29er - will help your Argus time.

If you are happy with your 26er keep it and use it once a year for the Argus - have fun.

If you feel you would like to do more road races by all means look at a road bike as well.

Edited by nickc

I intend to participate in the Argus Cycle Tour 2014 for the first time. I am 45 years old, 1,74metres tall and have been cycling for approximately a year and participated in approximately x10 MTB Challenges. I have a 2012 model 26inch MTB and accumulated approximately 3000km on same.

1. Would you recommended that I acquire slicks and utilise my 26inch MTB being a bicycle with which I am comfortable?

2. Would you recommend that I acquire a 29er? I was informed that I will improve my time in relation to a 26inch MTB.

absolutely

Slicks and a 48 chain ring on the front

Yeah no point buying a road bike for a once a year event.

If you're going to pursue road events, which isn't a bad idea, hell yeah!

But for now, pop slicks on and you'll probably sail up the hills past the roadies with those big cogs!

Slicks on the existing bike will be fine.

What will make you 'faster' is to train harder.

+1

did plenty of argusssessss (argii?)on a 26er with a borrowed pair of slicks......

Welcome to the Hub.

It's all about your fitness. If you think having a road bike and participating in road races will increase your fitness, get one. And you can buy a cheapish second hand one.

If you are looking to get a 29er anyways, you can instead go that route. A 29er with slicks can also be fun at the Argus.

Lastly, if all you want to spend is a set of slicks, fit those to your current bike.

Depends on what you are trying to achieve and how much you want to spend but a 26er with slicks is absolutely fine for the Argus. I did my first Argus this year on one and it was fine and there were thousands of others as well.

I would definitely not buy a new bike just for a once a year event. Are you trying to go for a quick time?

Definitely get a 27.5 er

Is your recommendation based thereon that I am 1.74 m tall? Is a 29er more suitable for a taller rider? Kindly advise.

Use what you have. There is nothing more satisfying that passing a roadie on your 26'' MTB.

And remember to smile and wave when you pass them :whistling:

My first Argus I rode on a Raleigh M650 ... Just for the experience ... Managed a painful and uncomfortable 6:47 without a day in the training seat ... but managed it. I would suggest, add slicks and go with the MTB ... I would doubt that the difference in bikes is going to be that dramatic that you would notice it ... As mentioned, see how it goes and then consider buying a road bike for multiple events if road inspires you.

Is your recommendation based thereon that I am 1.74 m tall? Is a 29er more suitable for a taller rider? Kindly advise.

This is the hub - he is just yanking your chain.... :)

A 29er will make no difference to your first Argus time at all - add slicks and give it a go - once you have a reasonable start group (once you have a seeding time), then a 29er MIGHT make a small (ie tiny) difference, but when you are in the middle of the groups, then no chance of that.

I am 1.67, and I have 2 29ers - nether of them make me faster on the road that my 26" bikes - the only thing that does is my road bike...