Litterbugs....should we name them?

Guest Smimby

I dont know if the confrontational approach works

It is more a case of education

You watch the tdf or epic and see the manne throwing their stuff away and think its ok

Watching the Tour of Britain the other day the commentator reflected on how the SKY team were putting their junk up their shirt to discard at the finish

Try hiking...I end up with a plastic bag full of crap that people drop on the trails.Tissues,stompies,sweet rappers gel sachets you name it

I am not sure what you want to educate people on here. Surely it must hit home to these "litter bugs" that all these wrappers, gu sachets and what not look absolutely *** on that beautiful route we cycled on Sunday.

13 year old kid throwing a paper down can be educated however there is no cure for an adult that finds it acceptable to throw his crap all over the trail

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if the confrontational approach works

It's because of a lack of confrontation and straightforwardness that people just do as they please.

They don't need to be educated, they need to be reminded of the education they received.

It's because of a lack of confrontation and straightforwardness that people just do as they please.

They don't need to be educated, they need to be reminded of the education they received.

unfortunately arrogance negates education

I am not sure what you want to educate people on here. Surely it must hit home to these "litter bugs" that all these wrappers, gu sachets and what not look absolutely *** on that beautiful route we cycled on Sunday.

13 year old kid throwing a paper down can be educated however there is no cure for an adult that finds it acceptable to throw his crap all over the trail

It is not just in cycling

People throw their crap out car windows ,in the street,anywhere.Their is no culture of cleanliness in south africa

Try throwing your chewing gum in the street in Thailand or Singapore and see what happens to you.You are fined

When I back packed through Malawi I was struck by how clean it was .No one throws away anything

Botswana is like a rubbish dump.People just back their bakkie into the bush and throw out all their crap.Ignorance reigns

Correct there needs to be clear boundaries and consequences which all are clear on

Fine them

Try throwing your chewing gum in the street in Thailand or Singapore and see what happens to you.

It is not because they were educated, it is because laws are actually enforced in those countries

There is a very simple reason why we all need to learn to pick up our (and other people's) litter: If you do not you will not have places to ride.

At an event I help organise we have a farmer who has PROMISED we will not be allowed back on his land if any litter is left behind. It is a serious issue for landowners and should be taken seriously by riders.

It is not because they were educated, it is because laws are actually enforced in those countries

They obey the laws...that is the difference

We dont.We ride illegally,we ride where we are not allowed to ride

See the comments about bikers jumping tolls and bragging about it

The list goes on and on.We do not obey the laws.That is ignorance and down to lack of education and ethics

People throw their crap out car windows ,in the street,anywhere.Their is no culture of cleanliness in south africa

Try throwing your chewing gum in the street in Thailand or Singapore and see what happens to you.You are fined

When I back packed through Malawi I was struck by how clean it was .No one throws away anything

Botswana is like a rubbish dump.People just back their bakkie into the bush and throw out all their crap.Ignorance reigns

Yeah warped morals we have... Thailand is clean but you can also pick up a real girl and she-boy around every corner for $5. Love you long time!

Or ban them

Why not try the fining first

If everyone was banned on the hub for their first transgressions instead of warned you would not be here

There is a very simple reason why we all need to learn to pick up our (and other people's) litter: If you do not you will not have places to ride.

At an event I help organise we have a farmer who has PROMISED we will not be allowed back on his land if any litter is left behind. It is a serious issue for landowners and should be taken seriously by riders.

And that is fully understandable. A farmer grants the use of his land, afterwards it is left littered with wrappers etc. Livestock can chow it and have problems, and it didnt look like that before the cyclists came.

My mother always told me that you leave a place in the same, if not better condition when you leave.

Why not try the fining first

If everyone was banned on the hub for their first transgressions instead of warned you would not be here

Because people will speed up again after passing a permanent camera when driving cars. These litter bugs will pay the fine and continue littering. Get rid of all of them, the sport doesn't need them and I don't want to cycle with those knobs anyway