what happens to old model new bikes?

Uni

If a store stocks a bunch of 2013 bikes for example, when the 2014 models come in , Can I assume they will sell them off at a reduced price. Do they get to trade them in from the bike manufacturers?

I notice a bunch of places selling 2014 models already but prices on the 2013 stuff isn't really dropping. If it does it's by R100.

I always buy "last years" bike. Can get some good deals. I cant speak for everyone, but I just bought a 2013 model for nearly R10 grand off the sticker price. That is a massive saving. Also researched the 2014 model and specs and parts were exactly the same. Only difference, the colour, true story. And because of the recent slump in the Rand to all major currencies, my 2013 brand new bike was R14000 cheaper than the exactly the same 2014 bike. Makes no sense. I hope the manufacturer takes the knock and not the dealer.

I've bought end of year road and MTB at considerable reduces price. Solomons is great for this.

If a store stocks a bunch of 2013 bikes for example, when the 2014 models come in , Can I assume they will sell them off at a reduced price. Do they get to trade them in from the bike manufacturers?

I notice a bunch of places selling 2014 models already but prices on the 2013 stuff isn't really dropping. If it does it's by R100.

Prices on 2013 bikes wont drop much, it is still 2013 after all.

Most suppliers will ensure that their 2013 stock levels are running pretty low during this time of the year to make space for the 2014 bikes coming in. Some suppliers are completely out of 2013 stock already but there are still a couple of shops sitting with 2013 bikes.

2months ago I bought a Scott Scale 920 that retails for R27k for R20k! Kings Cycles Worcester, not one local CT shop would even neg anything close to this price, the closest price was R23,5k, so it depends on the shop as I think the supplier gives them reduced prices on "old" stock

Do they still make a profit by selling these bikes at massively reduced prices?

Sometimes just covering your cost is ok ...just to move old stock and make space for new stock ..as well as having a few happy customers... and raising the cash needed for the new stuff .. :)

Seems the bigger price cuts are only on higher end bikes not the cheapies. I'll keep an eye out though and maybe go browse around for specials closer to year end.

Tx ppl

Seems the bigger price cuts are only on higher end bikes not the cheapies. I'll keep an eye out though and maybe go browse around for specials closer to year end.

Tx ppl

Westdene Cycles often has models that are a couple of years old. I got a HT Silverback 26" with XT components and decent fork at a good price that was 2 or 3 models behind the latest. If you go there be patient and look at all the bikes and do a little research afterwards if need be. Don't be talked into buying a model that you don't want though ;)

Westdene Cycles often has models that are a couple of years old. I got a HT Silverback 26" with XT components and decent fork at a good price that was 2 or 3 models behind the latest. If you go there be patient and look at all the bikes and do a little research afterwards if need be. Don't be talked into buying a model that you don't want though ;)

Tx ;) I'm a sucker for good sales talk - I have a rubber arm. I'll need to take a level headed friend along.

Obike used to clear old stock (talking 2-3yrs) at really good prices. Not sure if they still do. Bought both my bikes there. Delivered to a LBS near you (on their list of distributors of course).

• Any discount I offer my clients are out of my margin.
  • 2013 prices are lower than 2014, and 2014 bikes are lower spec'd than 2013
  • shops looking for business will ALWAYS negotiate, even on current dated bikes
  • some shops will be selling even 2012 bikes for full price. I can't afford to, and give big discounts to make space for next models.
  • The dealer always takes the knock.

Bought a 2011 Giant in Oct 2012 as the 2013 models were released for 30% less

Frame of 2011 is identical to 2013 model but component specs on 2013 were slightly better.

Over here we have clearance sales.

They start at 30% and over 2 or 3 weeks get down to 60%.

Mate of mine bought a Cannondale Evo with DA and Mavic wheels for 4800 euros last weekend.

I bought a 2012 BMC 29er from Velo Life a few months ago, original price was R32000, I paid R19500 :clap:

Edited by PeterF