Die Burger Road Race

Mylolylo

It was a tough one for me. I focussed so hard on flying up Helshoogte that I got dropped at about 65km only to spend too much time in no-mans-land into the wind before catching a decent bunch, but still finished with a fair enough time, for an old racing tortoise anyway!

The rest of team DJR did the short distance as the start of their Argus campaign and did nicely also.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was riding for 3:30. But at Klapmuts I started cramping. On krommereer I stood up to pedal and everything seazed. Every muscle in my legs (thats what it felt like) cramped up. I almost crashed. Luckily I could get my one cleat out. I literally stood in a single position for a couple of minutes before I could even move.

Finished 3:57. At least a sub4. Any advice to avoid cramping like that again?

Edited by Maniax

I was riding for 3:30. But at Klapmuts I started cramping. On krommereer I stood up to pedal and everything seazed. Every muscle in my legs (thats what it felt like) cramped up. I almost crashed. Luckily I could get my one cleat out. I literally stood in a single position for a couple of minutes before I could even move.

Glad to see I'm not the only one this happens to. Happened to me at the Engen Classic. Race over at 98km. :cursing:

So missing all the bull. How long did it take you to go from the traffic lights to the top of hels?

why do dudes set up all these arb segments, they mean nothing.

Seeing that you insisted (and the segment did not exist yet :devil: ) I went and created one, specially for you. My time is 17:31 (with a hamstring that was twitching right from the start) What's yours? :whistling:

Pop 2 USN cramp block's before start. I pop one every hour or so. Works for me on plus 100k rides. Hydration is key, 500 mll per hour and nothing like TITS over event distance.

Use some rehidrate before, during and after.

I had a bottle of Cadence Nutrition, bottle of water ( refilled three times), gels and GU bars.

Next time I'll definitely take cramp blocks along! Thanks for the advice. There was no way in hell not finishing. Luckily I know the road (my training backyard), so that helped with getting my mind right.

Edited by Maniax

I found it just took alot more training to prevent my cramps, did DC last week and was ok. This week I cramped in the last 400m. So I guess its more and more training :) (

I found it just took alot more training to prevent my cramps, did DC last week and was ok. This week I cramped in the last 400m. So I guess its more and more training :) (

I guess thats the main ingredient to a crampless ride!

Train harder.

Muscles contract when it's overloaded / beyond its capability.

Train harder.

Muscles contract when it's overloaded / beyond its capability.

Today I was totally "beyond my capability" :blink: Edited by Breezer

I cramped Worcester race and K2C to the extent that i thought my muscles is going to tear of my bones. So first on my way to the event ,I try to finish my first bottle and durin the race I started to focus on drinking every 15min a sip, but it have to add up to approx 500ml an hour. I also eat on the hour. For me bananas work . Cramps gone. Also always had a slump on about 70km.which is gone and I have a more constant energy.

Due to work commitments I trained less, and that i felt today but no cramps

Today I was totally "beyond my capability" :blink:

I fully agree!!! Those rolling hills between Wellington and Klapmuts in the wind was eina!

Edited by Maniax