New 29er SS options

ptaljaard

Pffff I know nothing.

Just the other day I was waxing all lyrical and sounding all superior about how SSers should be steel and carbon has no place on a mountain bike. Now I have two carbon mtbs and one is an SSer.

I have become the very over blinged SSer I scorned a few months ago.

I have adjusted my view to "buy what stirs your soul". That way I can never be wrong. Again.

I seem to remember you replying to me in some thread to that effect :thumbup:

I can't comment on a Ragley, but I do know I love my Inbred.

@ 1.72m you would be a 16" (5′6″ to 5′10″ or if in SA, 167-178cm riders with an inside leg of 28”-31” or 71-79cm would be on a 16" with a 40-60mm length recommended stem)

Thanks Hairy, from what I've read on the interweb fora, I should get a 16" Ragley too.

Still have to make a decision, I'm in no rush though.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember you replying to me in some thread to that effect :thumbup:

Thanks Hairy, from what I've read on the interweb fora, I should get a 16" Ragley too.

Still have to make a decision, I'm in no rush though.

AFAIK

Brant, who designed the Inbred for On-One, went to Ragley (not sure where between the 2 he is now). So it makes sense that the fit would be the same/similar

Yes you can build it in two wags of a lamb's tail. Help when you have a tjommie that can assist, 6 pack beers is a non-neg

So first things first...if it is not already done...get the BB faced and headtube faced and reamed.

Install the crown race on the fork

Press the headset cups in...if you don't have the tools, get a LBS to do these steps...the tool required are expensive and you won't use it that often.

Right so with this being done you can start building..

1.Fit headset, bearings should fit into cups. Just follow instructions or exploded diagram of headset manufacturer.

2.Fit fork, spacers and stem...hex or torx key set required

3.Fit SS chainring to crank...shorter bolts might be required, hex or torx key set required

4.Fit BB and crank...need hollowtech crank tool...get the one from parktool, awesome tool that you will use often, so worth buying it...PS if it is 73mm shell you will need one spacer, also note there is a driveside and non driveside BB cup.

5.Fit wheels, remember to put spacer kit + cog on rear wheel and get chainline as straight as possible...chainwhip and lockring tools required, if you don't have it, buy them...they will be used often..I take it rotors and tyres are already present. Slot the slider(if you have that tensioning system) all the way forward.

6.Fit bar, brakes and grips...I am taking for granted that the cables are the right length.

7.Fit chain...re-check your chainline & tension

8.Fit seatpost and saddle

9.Add frame protection vinyl...on fork and downtube for brake cable rub and stones.

10.Cut fork's steerer tube only once you are happy with the setup ito spacing.

Ride it like its stolen.

Thanks very much Rouxtjie

I'm now even more overwhelmed! might take it to someone who knows more than me, learn a lot & drink beer...

Thanks very much Rouxtjie

I'm now even more overwhelmed! might take it to someone who knows more than me, learn a lot & drink beer...

Its really not as difficult as it sounds. At most (if you don't have the tools) get the LBS to fit the headset, screw in the BB cups and maybe bolt the chainring onto the crank arms. Then take the rest and put it all together at home... It's just not the same riding a store built SS... Store built any bike for that matter.

AFAIK

Brant, who designed the Inbred for On-One, went to Ragley (not sure where between the 2 he is now). So it makes sense that the fit would be the same/similar

He's working for On-One again, I think!

i might have a inbred 29er frame headset fork

wheels tyres and chain tugs available very soon for

sale .... will know better towards the end of the

day....just saying .....

i might have a inbred 29er frame headset fork

wheels tyres and chain tugs available very soon for

sale .... will know better towards the end of the

day....just saying .....

Hairy, how much would you let them go for?

happy days. building on saturday.

Glad you came right eventually

P.p.s. How awesome is that paint job?!?!

Damned right, and I told you so!

Need rigid fork carbon or steel for 29er on one straight trough.ASAP anybody in stock please.

Thankx guys i got one :)))

It is done :clap: :clap: :w00t: :drool: :eek:

post-11349-0-85995500-1385119009_thumb.jpg

Edited by militarac