The Expense of Mountain Biking

Wes84

Nobody servicing any shocks?

My last quote for the fox front shock was R4500. Some worn parts ... told them to get stuffed. That was pretty much its replacement value.

HAHA, rather buy new shocks!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you want to minimize costs you have to look at where mountain biking as a hobby's expenses lie and make peace with the fact that its a "you cant have your cake and eat it" scenario

Initial outlay...do I want X when Y will do....my advise here is get what you want and don't try and save pennies. No point in riding a bike you didn't want to begin with.

Consumables... Lube, tyres, chains, cassette, chainrings, bearings...Do you need XTR when Deore will do?

Services...do I have to pay someone to do this, or can I do it myself?

Races...do I have to do sani when I can do a weekend away with the boys at mankele at a fraction?

So when you organising that weekend away at Mankele :whistling:

I have spent more on servicing my bike this year than on my car!!!

THIS IS CRAZY!!! :oops:

The way I see it, my car is to get me to point A and point B, my bikes are for enjoyment, I will gladly spend more to have fun.

Compared to shooting R600.00 + rand a weeknd on paintballs playing 12.5 bps with burst.... MTB parts dont seem so pricey anymore.

Youll shoot easy 28.8k + in a year ,thats without comps :whistling: or new gun & kit every season ....

I played about 10yrs ago, peeked at the DM stuff yesterday, still nearly 20k for a proper comp setup. The airfills are cheap, once you add clothing etc the initial layout is bad.

From what i understand, the price of paint has come down, the R/$ isn't helping once again but agree, it's not a cheap sport.

Do they still do tourney's with limited paint? Like a hopper only, that would help costs.

Think its only the New to MTB'ing guys complaining about how expensive the sport is... If you used to ride in 2000, prices remained relatively the same, for over 12years!!!

Be glad we have this immense choice of products and ride your bike. No one is forcing anyone to ride top of the range full carbon bikes.

Phew, it's good you mention that, I thought a carbon 29er dual-sus was mandatory for dirt road riding!

LOL, was my 1st thought when I went for an organised fun ride on my Singlespeed the other day, all the bikes more expensive than my Bakkie :eek: haha. Its good for the economy and LBS's at least.

I used to play golf, MTB is cheaper

Lets say 220 for round of golf, 70 for halfway house and then 200 for 19th makes it 500 a week

two rounds of golf a month over a year equals 6000 a year.

A mate of mine live in Taiwan. He reckons it can cost around R1000 000 just to belong to one of the more exclusive clubs.

I must add, however, that I first look after my wife and son's needs in a month as well as that of the house and cars, and then what's left, is mine to do with as I please

Can't do it any better than that.

I played about 10yrs ago, peeked at the DM stuff yesterday, still nearly 20k for a proper comp setup. The airfills are cheap, once you add clothing etc the initial layout is bad.

From what i understand, the price of paint has come down, the R/$ isn't helping once again but agree, it's not a cheap sport.

Do they still do tourney's with limited paint? Like a hopper only, that would help costs.

Ya played when there was Dm4's and now that marker is a dye matrix 12 in the pic.Capped at 40 BPS no joke...but PSP rules only 12.5 bps in tourneys.You get limited bush games still,but its boring compared to fast paced speedball. Good paint still R350.00+ a box :thumbup:

Anyone moaning about servicing and repair bills must buy one of those planetX or whatever brand tool kits that have all the bike specific tools and carry on winning everytime you fix it DIY at home.

Actually you come to realize the real benefit to DIY is time saving - fix it on the spot whenever and no schlepping the bike to and from the lbs for repairs. Nothing better than whipping out the tool and 15mins later you back in business vs missioning off to the lbs. Nevermind being able to do repairs on those trips out in middle of nowhere.

Lbs also rarely fine tune anything to perfection so you will have to learn how to DIY anyway in the long run if you want things purring along super sweetly.

my bikes save me money. cycle to and back from work daily....service myself and sold my car years ago as it was no longer required to have to cars in the household.

so my bikes are assets and they were built h

up and upgraded over many years to where they are now

• 2 weeks later...

my bikes save me money. cycle to and back from work daily....service myself and sold my car years ago as it was no longer required to have to cars in the household.

so my bikes are assets and they were built h

up and upgraded over many years to where they are now

I am actually considering the same thing, basically doing my day to day traveling in town only by bike and using the cars only for long distance or transporting things that cant fit on the bike, like children!!

The package of MTB is really cheap in the long run. The fitness and what comes with it unreal. I'm fitter now than I was 20 years ago. Choose what you wanna do and by accordingly. My training bike is a alu full sus that I work on myself. To date this year spent only R3500 on it, and yes it ridden 2-3 a week.. Race bike costs more but it the races and the fact that you go over everything, through everything and have no regard for damage until finish line.......my choice though..