Making a fender for your MTB

deanbean

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a win, no stones or mud in your face, no mud up the head tube, just perfect.

I found it just a little short, think the template might be for a 26'er.

I have added about 4cm and will remake tonight.

Internal cascading mine to my sons 24" scooter, was going to make him one anyway...

Back and front mud guards

Great. Thanks for sharing. I'm off to the crazy store.

• 1 year later...

Now this is a thread of hub gold... Thanks Deanbean, top work. 

I know what I'm doing this weekend. :)

I made two of these already, one the standard size (copied of a genuine "MarshGuard") and a 2nd with a bigger front lip.

Worked a treat last weekend at Darling Brew, no splatter onto my face.

Going to modify my template a bit to McGyver one for the rear, mostly to keep the mud off my FD.

I made two of these already, one the standard size (copied of a genuine "MarshGuard") and a 2nd with a bigger front lip.

Worked a treat last weekend at Darling Brew, no splatter onto my face.

Going to modify my template a bit to McGyver one for the rear, mostly to keep the mud off my FD.

Pictures once you have completed them. :thumbup:

I've got on both my mtbs. But according to Uni and Lurch, they should be black.

The Marsh guard is too short and chucks up mud into my face, since lengthening mine I've not had that problem.

I have made lots of these in the past. Just been too lazy to find some plastic to make more. However what I like is how easily one can make one oversized and then trim as needed

Tried fitting the "standard" one to the back last night. Did not work, as my 2.25 Saguarno rubbed against it.

Will make another one from a thinner 5 L container, and modify the design a bit. More attachment holes to shape it around the frame, together with the thinner plastic should do the trick. Will see if I can get around to it this weekend.

I know a lot of the downhill guys (from what i have seen in random youtjoop vids) use 2 Marsh Guards, one fitted normally and one reversed on the front. Seems to do the trick...

I have an original Marsh Guard, gonna use it to create an add on template to extend the front of it!

Thanks for all the cool tips!

I have two of these (In Black) in the spares box....might be time to pull them out again

http://www.stratobiker.com/wp-content/uploads/THE_mudguard.jpg

I have two of these (In Black) in the spares box....might be time to pull them out again

i take that back, the ones you lot have been showing should prevent mud getting to the fork seals better that THE mudguards.

time to get "a cutting" over the weekend then

PLEASE fit one and take pics!!!

btw I have that frame and fork hanging in the garage :)

Lekker to see so many been made, I need to make a fender to protect my FD on the Yeti.

I've made 2 from an old plastic container that was used for oil. I like the idea of recycling to start with, but they look at least as good and work exactly as well as the store bought one I have. If anything, the home made ones are better, in that the plastic is a bit more flexable and softer, so they make less of a noise when they get hit by flying pebbles. My store bought one is very hard and makes quite a racket when riding loose pebbly stretches. :)

My original copy from the Marsh Guard, pic's 1&2.

My last rendition, with the slightly longer "lip". Back is same length.

Archived