Hell and Back

Cacher

After A thorough wash, I could see No obvious Damage on my unbranded Chinese import however I took bike in to LBS only for a BB re-grease as we Rode through deep waters & brake pad precautionary check. Which was surprisingly still Fine, two Of my mates had no rear brakes by the time they hit the top of swartberg pass on Day2, had to descend with only front brakes alone.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant imagine eating a Spur Burger during the ride. I will probably throw up after about 500 meters down the road if I had to eat a burger and chips. Would have been nice as a lunch in the Hell at the end of stage 1 though....

Im with you on that one. I cant even chow the Spur burger after finishing the Baviaans.

On Day 2 the medics were telling me they found a guy who had no brakes at all anymore and was braking by means of "foot to the tyre"... Desperate times call for deperate measures...

On the event website, I see there is a link to the event photos. When I go the the site, I can not find anything. Any suggestions, or am I just too eager to see how I suffered during the race? :-)

On Day 2 the medics were telling me they found a guy who had no brakes at all anymore and was braking by means of "foot to the tyre"... Desperate times call for deperate measures...

On the event website, I see there is a link to the event photos. When I go the the site, I can not find anything. Any suggestions, or am I just too eager to see how I suffered during the race? :-)

go to www.actionphoto.net

enter the event name and your race number and search, usually takes 2-3 weeks for all the photos to be uploaded and identified

p.s. be patient the website is slower than me going up heartbreak

I've about 4 photos loaded thus far.

Re. Brakes, i was thinking the same thing should they fail me I would also do an Ala 80's BMX style shoe on the tire to stop.

Well the fact that the medics "found" the guy tells me how well that idea turned out.... :whistling:

The idea of doing this race without brakes, pretty scary!

problem is the route was wet this year not muddy just wet causing sand & grime to lodge into pads & onto disks & lots of river crossings, so brakes was bound to fail if you started on 50% or less pads.

• 11 months later...

Doing my first one this year.  Under-prepared, but looking forward to it.

Looks like Oudtshoorn is going to get some rain this week and over the weekend.

Doing my first one this year. Under-prepared, but looking forward to it.

Hope you enjoy it,this race was on my to-do list for this year,but unfortunately a few things happened this year that prevented this from happening.Atleast I have another year to practice.Keep us updated on how it went.[emoji106]

Doing my first one this year.  Under-prepared, but looking forward to it.

if its raining take extra brake pads, that sand is worse than grinding paste and it goes into everything.

The last thing you don't want is no brakes going down the swartberg pass, should you go over the edge you will fall far, very far & long.

In the late 90's I had to rely on the awesome stopping power of v-brakes.  :eek:

If you braked really hard you would eventually slow down! 

In the late 90's I had to rely on the awesome stopping power of v-brakes.  :eek:

If you braked really hard you would eventually slow down! 

In the early 90's we relied on cantilever brakes.  They made V brakes feel like disc brakes in comparison.

Archived