Calling all 29er experts...

T-Bob

so I'm thinking of adding a 29er to the quiver and have come across a couple of Vitus rides out of CRC that I can pick up and hold over in the UK until I head out that way next month.

Guess I'm looking at general trail, single track, Tokai, Jonkers, etc as I do on my 6er. Not long distances because that's what I've got a road bike for and smooth tarmac, it's more about fun, flow, hits etc.

Thing is don't have a clue about geo' and 29ers... so I thought I'd ask some advice and see what would come back.

Bikes are:

Vitus Gravir 29er

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/vitus-bikes-gravir-29-suspension-bike-2013/rp-prod81015

and

Vitus Escarpe

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/vitus-bikes-escarpe-29-suspension-bike-2013/rp-prod81018

Both those bike are AMAZING value for money and will serve you 100%. If I could get a Gravir (100mm travel) for that price I would grab it anywday Good wheels for a bike of that price!

Edited by dee_biker

Both those bike are AMAZING value for money and will serve you 100%. If I could get a Gravir (100mm travel) for that price I would grab it anywday Good wheels for a bike of that price!

CRC own Vitus now so they can spec massively. They had a clearance carbon road bike with Di2 for less than just the group set in many stores.

Of those 2, the escarpe for sure. A 12mm rear axle, 120mm frame and 140mm fork and the slackened go would make it a trail munching monster of a bike. The sector up front is generally one of the more under rated forks on the market - it's essentially a revelation in drag.

If you're looking for a bike to have fun on and still take the hits, that's the one of the 2 to go for without a doubt.

Great parts spec for the price as well.

Considering what you're going to use it for you'd be mad to go for the 100mm machine

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

The best thing in my opinion is to ride and then decide, I am riding a 29er and will never go smaller, its a quick and smooth ride.

My wife rides a 26er because she has no choice, she is 5.8 foot and getting on a 29er is like getting on a penny farthing, even a 650b will be to big for her.

The best thing in my opinion is to ride and then decide, I am riding a 29er and will never go smaller, its a quick and smooth ride.

My wife rides a 26er because she has no choice, she is 5.8 foot and getting on a 29er is like getting on a penny farthing, even a 650b will be to big for her.

jeez as a 5'9"er I'm apparently a circus dwarf in this country! I'm above average back home... ah, well. It's got to be chuckable, MTB to me is bmx with gears... fast, loose, corners, switches, hucks and lil' jumps, trails and climbs. Not down hills and not enough balls to dirt jump. I usually ride a 16" in a 6er because I hate a heap of metal under me...

jeez as a 5'9"er I'm apparently a circus dwarf in this country! I'm above average back home... ah, well. It's got to be chuckable, MTB to me is bmx with gears... fast, loose, corners, switches, hucks and lil' jumps, trails and climbs. Not down hills and not enough balls to dirt jump. I usually ride a 16" in a 6er because I hate a heap of metal under me...

Then - a niner is not for you. Or, at least, not the majority of niners. Very few will have that chuckability you're looking for.

If I were you I'd look for a sixer of around 140-150mm travel. Maybe a Trance with a 140mm fork on the front - those bikes (in that combo) are a MEAN machine. Then again, a niner trance may just be the bike for you if you're dead set on going niner.

Just don't go niner for the sake of it. When you hit the drops and jumps, a wheel is a wheel and 140mm is 140mm.