Why do they seldom advertise the weight of the bike

Oufy MTB (Roadie)

I think most would agree, that the weight of the bike is a serious consideration when looking to purchase a bike.

Now why is that most websites and even in stores do they seldom give the weight of the bike. They will have details from what shocks, groupset, rims, stem, going on and on, but neglect to give the weight. This bike with these components (as advertised) is R10k, it weighs 14kg, that simple for example.

Then many salespeople can never give you an accurate answer when ask, put the bloody thing on the scale , end of story.

or is that the weight of bikes will put people off altogether?

but then I don't have a degree in advertising/marketing as well.

while weight is important (to some), it's not the only consideration. I guess the analogy would be why shops dont have clocks: they need you to spend more time looking at what they have.

but i will agree: it's rather annoying that they dont opt for full disclosure instead.

because the weight varies from one bike to the next in the same model, size and equipment outfitting thats why.

Tolerance on carbon frames is about 50gr either way.

That would be like asking bike manufacturers to tell their customers how crap the wheelsets they put on some bikes are.

Edited by MTB Marinio

Also because they lie about the weight.

The advertized weight for some top end road frames were probably measured on size extra small, without dropouts, bb shell, clear coat and paint.

Some frames carry a "made in Italy" sticker, although they are made in China.

Best to do some research before you drop your cash, if these things are important to you.

Edited by Christie

Ja, and then there's Americans and lawyers... tell them a bike weighs 11k's without pedals and the one the pick (with natural variances) weighs 11.1, there'll be a law suit. :ph34r: And most likely if it weighs 10.9 it'll be deemed as sub-standard or "he got more than me" and there'll also be a law suit... :whistling:

Also because they lie about the weight.

The advertized weight for some top end road frames were probably measured on size extra small, without dropouts, bb shell, clear coat and paint.

Seen that.... a medium that was claimed to be 890 grams but came in on 2 scales at 1050gr

I think most would agree, that the weight of the bike is a serious consideration when looking to purchase a bike.

Now why is that most websites and even in stores do they seldom give the weight of the bike. They will have details from what shocks, groupset, rims, stem, going on and on, but neglect to give the weight. This bike with these components (as advertised) is R10k, it weighs 14kg, that simple for example.

Then many salespeople can never give you an accurate answer when ask, put the bloody thing on the scale , end of story.

or is that the weight of bikes will put people off altogether?

but then I don't have a degree in advertising/marketing as well.

um, its because they want to make a sale without predjudicing themselves.

I think once most people move beyound the entry level stage, weight does play a part in their choice (perception that lighter is better/faster, peer pressure, cool factor, bragging rights)

yup, but stores wont have all brands, so you can usually just compare 1 0r two types, then have to mission off elswhere.

bike weight is determined by what is put on the frame. Bikes are built by the marketing company, frames, wheels ext are built by the manufacturer. There are so many varaibles that weight can never be confirmed. If weight is your issue, there is a web site somewhere that allows you to Build a bike and weight it in "virtual" space. Finally just pop the bike on the scale at the bike shop and voila there is the weight.

Because it really does not matter to most of us weekend warriors! Unless you're aiming for podium positions in pro events who cares? I'm not saying go buy anything that ends up weighing 30kg for instance but seriously, will it make that mush of a difference to your individual performance? If you want to be lighter drink less beer and eat less pizza and drop that extra kilo or two that seems to be such a priority...

don't forget that often the light weight bikes that the manufacturers give to tour riders are not the same layup as the bikes they sell from the LBS....

This is the *** thing about carbon fibre, it allows a lot of room for lying

Because it really does not matter to most of us weekend warriors! Unless you're aiming for podium positions in pro events who cares? I'm not saying go buy anything that ends up weighing 30kg for instance but seriously, will it make that mush of a difference to your individual performance? If you want to be lighter drink less beer and eat less pizza and drop that extra kilo or two that seems to be such a priority...

haha, I think that you will find very few people who dont honestly care. Human nature = sub-consciously competing always, no matter if its whilst riding, or comparing equipment, or talking about it over coffee, weekend warrior or pro...

They will usually buy the best they can afford, because if no one cared what they rode, Macro would be making a killing on their "Dunlop range" of machines...

Edited by Li Mu Bai