Chris King Hubs

evolve

Who can I take my Chris King hubs to for a rebuild, need someone reall good that knows them well.

There aren't many people who have the tools, so they usually go to the agents - but they're in Somerset West, so you'll be without them for a while.

There may be someone closer to home that's set up for it though, but I don't know the JHB shops all that well.

bit far....but William at William's bike shop is the authority on them

Somerset West. CT

He was tempting with a very nice shiny R45 set just the other day. The toolbox that Chris King supply for these is a work of art in itself. Budget may get raided .... will match very nicely to the Chris King BB which replaced the piece of junk I had before

Edited by walkerr

If you're in any way mechanically minded, get the tools to service them yourself. The cost of 3 services will pay for the tool. Considering how long the hubs will last, it's well worth it. Also, don't over-service, if that's considered a word. Mine have been infrequently serviced, several times ridden while not properly adjusted resulting in play on the bearings/axle (once for 6 weeks when I completely forgot about it), about to get their 3rd set of rims and just generally abused and as I've bragged on the forums before, are still on the original bearings after what is now 8 years I think.

You can also do plenty maintenance without the CK hub tools... just download the manual and get busy with a couple of allen keys and CK ringdrive grease...

You can also do plenty maintenance without the CK hub tools... just download the manual and get busy with a couple of allen keys and CK ringdrive grease...

Agreed. You can get to most of the bearings without the full service tools. The side of the bearings that open up face outwards. The only really essential item is the locking tool, which is small and fairly cheap. I did my own servicing with that 2 or 3 times before sending it for a complete strip and overhaul in order for the internal parts to be cleaned and lubed.

How often do CK's need a service? - If I paid that kind of cash I'd expect many years of maintenance free use...

How often do CK's need a service? - If I paid that kind of cash I'd expect many years of maintenance free use...

Flawed logic - unless the price premium being paid is for long maintenance free endurance, which for most high-end/high-cost components is not the case.

Flawed logic - unless the price premium being paid is for long maintenance free endurance, which for most high-end/high-cost components is not the case.

Thats funny - so its really just about the bling, or do they actually perform better when they aren't being maintained? And again, how often do they need a service?

Guest Travis.

I would think from previous threads that there are a few 'good' wheel builders around so maybe you want to mention in what area?

If in Midrand sort of area you can't go wrong with Ant at Summit Cycles 011-315-8311!

Ant is your man!