Knoblies vs slicks

Active Monkey

So on the 94.7... What is the real saving / advantage of putting on slicks vs knoblies on a MTB?

Spent all my money on my road bike and don't think I have time to get use to it so gonna wing the 94.7 on my MTB with knoblies

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ride your road bike. I rode 94 on my dads old road bike last year and i had only ridden it once before.

So on the 94.7... What is the real saving / advantage of putting on slicks vs knoblies on a MTB?

Spent all my money on my road bike and don't think I have time to get use to it so gonna wing the 94.7 on my MTB with knoblies

It's not particularly difficult....just get on and ride

Rode with maxxis crossmarks on mtb pumped to 3bar and still managed 3h20 .Won,t do it with with aggresive tread like nobby nic or similar.Also doing 94.7 with road-bike for first time .Setup your road-bike so that you sit comfortably upright like on your mtb.

Edited by Blitzer

Been BMXing and MTB all my life (well, since i was 5) and bought my 1st road bike 1 week before this years Argus. Really nothing to it- just get on and trap!

Did 2x 94.7s on my dual susser with knobbies- you just can't keep up with the strong bunches.

And slicks on a MTB? Don't castrate your bike please ;)

Riding knobblies on tar wears them out chop chop. Ride the road bike, unless your tyres are already stuffed and you don't mind replacing them after the race.

Put on slicks. The rolling resistance is much less especially with high tyre pressure. You will get an extra 20 km/h on a good down hill. Dont forget to lock out your front shock..... :thumbup:

Riding knobblies on tar wears them out chop chop. Ride the road bike, unless your tyres are already stuffed and you don't mind replacing them after the race.

Im scared of my body not being used to the road bike..

Doing the mtb 55 84 this weekend and then the road 94 so no practice time.

I know my mtb and can do 5 hours in it.

Just have an allen key on hand to adjust your handlebar/saddle height. It will make the race a much more enjoyable experience I think, and will shave a decent bit off a 5 hour time..

I have just purchased a road bike for the 94.7(well not only) Took it for a first spin this weekend round the Cradle, shaved about 35min off my 70km time. My wrists feel it the most as the position is very different. I think you'd be fine to use the bike for the first time at 94.7. But I'd try get in a quick ride during the week, even 10km just to make sure everything is working 100%

Urban legend - they may wear down a little more quickly

Ja after my 1st road ride my hands where sore.. so I definitly need a pro set up and i definitly need to do a 100 k ride 1st, both which il only be able to do after the 94.7

so this year will takle the 94.7 on my DS MTB again.

Urban legend - they may wear down a little more quickly

depends what tires you have dude. Crossmarks - fine. Hans Dampf. . Not so much. I think droo was referring to the proper MTB tires that generally grip better than the tires you're thinking of.