Mud Stains - Any Old Wives' Tales

flymango

Anybody got any sensible tips to remove serious mud stains from cycling gear?

W2W Adventure was slightly wet and muddy, to put it mildly.

Guest Omega Man

Pressure washer. I swear it works like a bomb. Put the pressure washer on it and then throw in the washing machine. Just watch your toes and the pressure washer.

Pressure washer. I swear it works like a bomb. Put the pressure washer on it and then throw in the washing machine. Just watch your toes and the pressure washer.

Garments have already been pre-soaked in cold water with washing powder and then been through a warm cycle in the washing machine. Needless to say there are still mud stains. Unfortunately I don't have a pressure washer.

Vanish from Pick n Pay or Spar.Is expensive tho

Works

Go to P&P and buy some "Washing Soda" - soak it in that... comes in a plastic bag and is generally available in the bigger pick and pays - cheap as chips... Does not take sealant off though :(

Also works great for taking black mould off wood...

Sunlight soap bar, daai groen koekie seep werk!

edit: you rub the bar of soap on all the stained areas and give it a little hand wash tlc before popping it in the washing machine.

Edited by Helpmytrap

had the same problem after riding W2W in rain a few years back. Tried everything but nothing worked. I think some fabrics are also less stain resistant than others.

Sunlight soap bar, daai groen koekie seep werk!

Vryf daai groen koekie goed in. (Sounds so wrong)

Unfortunately it does work. You can also use something called Oxy-brite. Spray on and rub in good. Let soak for an hour before washing.

Other option is to do what I do, give it to your mom to wash when you go visit.

+1

OK, so you don't have a pressure washer, then get a cheapy. You don't want an expensive one that can erode the cement between bricks. Just one that can increase the flow rate of water. High pressure washer combined with undiluted Clean Green works wonders.

Heard some stories about steri nappie - haven't tried myself. Otherwise Powasol - its a non-caustic soil dissolver - supposedly works as well.

Mud is actually greasy. So secret is in dissolving the fat and the stains with it.

Rub with Sunlight liquid (of die groen seep) and then wash as normal.

W2W 2 years ago.....took me 3 washes to get the mud out of the chamois of my Assos. Every time I thought it was clean, I went for a ride on the tandem, that had a white saddle, and the saddle would be brown afterwards. Fourth time was a charm though. Cheaper than a pressure washer and gentler on expensive delicates like lycra. :D

Old-fashioned "galseep". I found a German brand in Nam that works a treat.

It's made by Denkmit and is called "Gallseife".

As usual, WinkyPedia has the full story

Bile soap[edit]

Bile from slaughtered mammals can be mixed with soap. This mixture, called bile soap,[1] can be applied to textiles a few hours before washing and is a traditional and rather effective method for removing various kinds of tough stains.