Where is the biggest, meanest, longest and steepest hill in Jo'berg?

GhostSixFour

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we had some fun this weekend up Surrender Hill.  We were initially going to play a bit in Golden Gate but the wind was really hectic and we had some people on the camp who were not that experienced so we decided to play it safe.

More importantly though, my Father-in-Law runs GoSport Events and he was on the camp. So we bounced the idea around of having a hillclimb at Klapperkop.  He reckons it wouldn't cost too much to close the road so I have asked him to put something together to see what an event might cost. We thought about Tom Jenkins but that might just be a bit too hectic and would probably scare off a lot of beginners.

Big question - do you think there is an opportunity to have a timed hillclimb race or should we all just stick to Strava?

So we had some fun this weekend up Surrender Hill.  We were initially going to play a bit in Golden Gate but the wind was really hectic and we had some people on the camp who were not that experienced so we decided to play it safe.

More importantly though, my Father-in-Law runs GoSport Events and he was on the camp. So we bounced the idea around of having a hillclimb at Klapperkop.  He reckons it wouldn't cost too much to close the road so I have asked him to put something together to see what an event might cost. We thought about Tom Jenkins but that might just be a bit too hectic and would probably scare off a lot of beginners.

Big question - do you think there is an opportunity to have a timed hillclimb race or should we all just stick to Strava?

Ja look, if you are going to go with Klapperkop you might as well give me the prize already. Jacques JVR is shivering in his boots that I will take the KOM any day now.

Lekker location to do the hillclimb IMHO. It is quiet enough in terms of traffic and with a big attendance you can set up a lekker vibe. Climb is long enough to test eveyone, but not too steep to break them in the way that Tom Jenkins would. Starting down at Fountains is the true test, but I don't think closing a lane of the N14 is really feasible.

Would be interested to hear what feedback your FIL gives regarding financial feasibility.

post-27827-0-29640200-1601273572_thumb.png

not sure if it was mentioned, but the back side of Nortchliff hill is a nicer climb (especially for an event) than the northern end.

Starting at the bottom of kitson rd (it's a dead end), into De Wet and then into Muslis (it's basically one straight quiet road where the name changes 3 times.  It's off the beaten track, hardly any vehicles and it's a consistent grade for about 1.2km.  Guessing average gradient would be >8%?

So we had some fun this weekend up Surrender Hill. We were initially going to play a bit in Golden Gate but the wind was really hectic and we had some people on the camp who were not that experienced so we decided to play it safe.

More importantly though, my Father-in-Law runs GoSport Events and he was on the camp. So we bounced the idea around of having a hillclimb at Klapperkop. He reckons it wouldn't cost too much to close the road so I have asked him to put something together to see what an event might cost. We thought about Tom Jenkins but that might just be a bit too hectic and would probably scare off a lot of beginners.

A hand-timed system is not hard to calculate. Everyone gets their start time at a set interval and you only need to record the name/number as they cross the finish line - Excel can calculate the rest. Let me know if you want that spreadsheet. Edited by Frosty

Does anyone know if the new road at Harties is open yet? That must be pretty steep. Extension of R512 from across the causeway, North over the hill to join the R104 bypassing the 4-way craft market stop.

we rode the reverse D90 route into that wind.. Friday was a big day out. Surrender hill was a far nicer ride on the Saturday morning.

Does anyone know if the new road at Harties is open yet? That must be pretty steep. Extension of R512 from across the causeway, North over the hill to join the R104 bypassing the 4-way craft market stop.

Yip is open. Not that steep though