SanParks lock the gate at the back of Plum Pudding

ABastard

What do other cyclists think about the latest SanPark move to lock the gate at Mount Pleasant Foresty station before Rhodes Mem, blocking the road acccss to Plum Pudding? Yes, they've built a new single track but you need to be relatively accomplsihed to rider this rock-garden track and I've seen several new and intemediate MTBers struggle on this dangerus track.

Is it right to build dangerous tracks without a options for an easier route?

Is it appropriate to make acess only for experienced riders?

Surely, Sanparks would never do this to walkers?

Views?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been like this a while quite a bummer, doesn't add flow anymore, so we just leave that track out!

Track is not dangerous, the closing of the gate to get to the track is a bummer. There's chicken runs on the track too.

What do other cyclists think about the latest SanPark move to lock the gate at Mount Pleasant Foresty station before Rhodes Mem, blocking the road acccss to Plum Pudding? Yes, they've built a new single track but you need to be relatively accomplsihed to rider this rock-garden track and I've seen several new and intemediate MTBers struggle on this dangerus track.

Views?

I dont know what track you're talking about but if you know you cant ride it don't whine like a little bitch, get skills and return. It is unfair that riders who wish to further their skills must have tracks dumbed down.

TL;DR HTFU

What do other cyclists think about the latest SanPark move to lock the gate at Mount Pleasant Foresty station before Rhodes Mem, blocking the road acccss to Plum Pudding? Yes, they've built a new single track but you need to be relatively accomplsihed to ride this rock-garden track and I've seen several new and intemediate MTBers struggle on this dangerus track.

Views?

Sanparks have never build singletrack and never will. It sounds like they rather locked a gate to keep trespassers out.

They have full right to close access to motor vehicles on that road, that is why the gate is closed, because tjops drove their cars up there. Same with the booms elsewhere.

If you built single track in that area you did it ILLEGALLY right at the SANParks office. No wonder they are pissed off with mountainbikers. You digging single track there is exactly the same as someone building a highway or a block of flats on the mountain without permission. Only the scale differs.

If you want to ride on National Park land and in a world heritage site, on one of the modern natural wonders of the world, then do it the right way. If you want to build or you want to become constructively involved, contact Kandui or the Table Mountain Bikers. Otherwise you are just throwing obstacles in the way of those who are working their arses off to improve things for mountainbikers on Table Mountain. If you contribute to screwing it up for the rest of us, then I wish the pox on you.

Yes, I'm grumpy today, so what.

Edited by DJR

Apparently, SanParks did build the bypass route, a single track. Which to my mind is a helluva interesting development - as far as I'm aware this is the first time SanParks have ever built anything like this. Which I'd argue, demonstrates that we're on their radar. Kandui can comment authoritively on this, and I'm sure will.

Yes, the track is tricky, it will be a challenge to ride if you're new at MTB. Even really good riders will tell you that it demands concentration and precision lines.

But as for it being dangerous, I don't agree.

Unless you're unlucky enough to fall off riding over the flat wooden bridge - maybe a metre of so high over a dry rocky river bed - there's little chance that you will get any injury of consequence along this section. It's a very slow, rock garden type route that's maybe 100 metres in total length - though it feels much further! There's also no way that you can access this section with too much speed.

In my view, it's good to challenge yourself, it's the only way you get any better.

If it's unridable for you, get off and push.

Or try and try again.

Lets not forget what this single track replaces - a tar road past some buildings.

If you call yourself a mountain biker, isn't that a moer of a jump in the right direction?

Edited by Hackster

That bypass route has been there forever and a day if my memory is correct as I first rode that in 1989 when coming down that way.

I never used to go past the Forestry houses as I thought that was not allowed back then.

Think I am correct but I have been doing that bypass forever

DJR, Pappa Bear, you're misinformed. SanParks did build the single track.

Agree that it is encouraging that Sanparks have actually built some single track, and yes, it is good to have some challenge etc, but having seen several inexperienced mountain bikers turn back at this point and one come off badly on the rock garden, I'm not sure that they've approached this right.

The sport is growing and we need trails that are accessible for all levels of bikers.

By all means encourage technical tracks, but not as the only access.

Also, the bridge is already breaking and should have chicken wire on it.

It is slippery when wet.

The route is getting very sandy and several roots are appearing as well!

I agree with Hacker.

If you cannot ride it, get off and push your bike for that odd 100 meters. Then continue on with your ride. There is no shame in walking.

Know your limits, read the trail, think ahead, plan ahead.

I disagree... If you're a beginner, then get off and walk. Or stop riding if you're too prideful. Too many of those asses around already.

They've done you a favour by building a track for you to ride. Ride it, don't demand an easier one!

This is cycling. See rule number 5.

If sanparks did built the tracks..... Good for us! As far as danger goes..... Their only obligation should be to mark the trail with sinage, green, blue, black routes and if dangerous sections is present mark it with danger, gap jump, drop, blind corner etc.

The rest is up to us..... Walking the trail, session the trail and don't be stupid and over estimate your skill.