my review on Sani2c vs Berg & bush vs W2W

VicanZA

Hi Guys

i have been fortunate enough to do all 3 events this year and thought i would share..I'm not going back to do all 3 again as i would like to try others.(may do 1)

Sani2c- by far the toughest on distance alone 280km is hard work. day 2 is some of the best riding I've done.

B&B- the most technical fast descents on lots of single track. 188km day 2 was shortened on a count of the wind.

W2W- the most scenic, the mandatory portage on day 1 u will never forget. 229km.

If you have done any of the 3 share u thoughts and which 1 would u go back to?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

i have been fortunate enough to do all 3 events this year and thought i would share..I'm not going back to do all 3 again as i would like to try others.(may do 1)

Sani2c- by far the toughest on distance alone 280km is hard work. day 2 is some of the best riding I've done.

B&B- the most technical fast descents on lots of single track. 188km day 2 was shortened on a count of the wind.

W2W- the most scenic, the mandatory portage on day 1 u will never forget. 229km.

If you have done any of the 3 share u thoughts and which 1 would u go back to?

What is your assessment of the facilities for the 3 events? Showers, bathrooms, seating at tables etc?

Thanks

Sani lots of free stuff, toilets in camp 1 are good, camp 2 not so good and if ur tent is next 2 the portable toilets its ***. B&B has only 1 camp the toilets are good we had about 6 showers and 3 toilets to servers just our area of about 20 tents. W2W didnt like the rehiderate zone as u got ur drinks in a cup not bottled! meaning it couldn't be taken back to ur tent etc. W2W only had 1 camp as well.

B&B main tent was overlooking the finish u could watch ur mates come in while enjoying a cold 1.

W2W is a fixture for me. Keen to try Sani2C or even J2C. I will have to work on my tech abilities before B2B I think.

Have done a number of Sani2c and W2W - my take W2W is more technical - rough terrain, rocks, roots etc. that "compulsory" portage over the mountain sucks - especially this year on the Adventure with all the rain & mud ! - Sani2c is more flowing manicured single track with day 2 being both the most dificult and most enjoyable. Camp facilities are good in both - this year W2W had FNB on board - what a difference - the chill zones for non clients was great - the client zone even better.

Personally I prefer Sani2c - just more expensive with travel arrangements for me living in CT :clap:

B&B water (feast) tables are some of the best you'll ever find. Plenty technical single track and awsome scenery coming down the berg.

Sani kit in the goodie bags is great. Unbelievable Umko descent on Day 2. Track is smoother but a more difficult ride overall than B&B.

W2W - still on the bucket list.

A mate of mine has done all 3 , rates W2W better than Sani, which surprised me, he also rates B&B highly.

I'm only doing B&B next year, Sani2C is awesome but it is becoming too expensive... not worth 11K -15K imo.

Edited by d@vid

Anytime you get miff about this country, think about these and other races that we have the option of riding - okes slate one and say the other is better - whereas they are all better than world class because there are not many races out there to match (that I know of).

'bout the only other races I'd like to do are Leadville (not a stage race), maybe Trans-Alpine and that Croc run or whatever it is called in Oz. Otherwise there are a bunch of races here that I have yet to do...

Would be hard for me to choose between the W2W and Sani2C, most aspects very similar in quality for me.

Think the extra kilometers & extra meters of climbing at the Sani makes it a bit tougher, even though the extra distance would be mostly open gravel roads.

Felt that overall the singletrack was more & better at the W2W, would actually have liked the days to be a bit longer... The racing village was also slightly better (having your own tent a nice bonus).

Question - How technical is the B&B relative to W2W?

Done Sani and W2W. In terms of riding I prefered W2W - because I enjoy the technical stuff more. But, given a free enty I wouldn't hestitate to go to either.

I enjoyed the setup of the Sani camps more. (My opinion) is that Sani is a bit more rider orientated - plenty of free stuff and more variety in terms of drinks and snacks.

I don't remember the exact entry costs, but I would think that W2W should be a bit cheaper than Sani given the smaller goody bag and the fact that there is only a single campsite to maintain. But I think the prices are fairly similar? If that is the case, it strikes me that Sani is 'giving' more back to the rider?

BnB is on the bucket list.

Edit: forgot about the single tent at W2W - that is a bonus!

Edited by Dubber

Havent done W2W ... but Done 5 B&B's and 2 Sanis ....

Wouldnt go back to Sani - even with a free entry ... not my style of riding and just too congested IMO ... I hate standing in queues to have a poo in the morning!

B&B has always been good - but again after this year I am getting the feeling that all the riding over these trails with J2C and all the other big races has forced the event organisers to "dumb down" the trails ...

B&B cannot be beat for organisation and food/water tables and vibe ...

But it appears to be going the same mass participation route that Sani did with numbers having doubled in the last 2 years ....

I will have to really think if its worth spending all that cash (R3500 - 2 day event) to ride with the wife and get stuck in singletrack when we could spend that each and go on our own custom made bike tour.

B&B better than Sani.

Better tracks, better water points and for the girls MUCH better showers. Showers after 2 day of Sani were shocking.

W2W on the list, but I need to first stop doing B&B which I just don't seem able to do. Said this year was my last. Got back 11pm on the Sunday night, Monday morning my first thought was "I gotta do that again". Sani I only did a 2nd time because I wanted to do it with my dad (he couldn't make it the first year).

We are so spoilt to have so many fantastic stages races.

Havent done W2W ... but Done 5 B&B's and 2 Sanis ....

Wouldnt go back to Sani - even with a free entry ... not my style of riding and just too congested IMO ... I hate standing in queues to have a poo in the morning!

B&B has always been good - but again after this year I am getting the feeling that all the riding over these trails with J2C and all the other big races has forced the event organisers to "dumb down" the trails ...

B&B cannot be beat for organisation and food/water tables and vibe ...

But it appears to be going the same mass participation route that Sani did with numbers having doubled in the last 2 years ....

I will have to really think if its worth spending all that cash (R3500 - 2 day event) to ride with the wife and get stuck in singletrack when we could spend that each and go on our own custom made bike tour.

agreed. did my first W2W and although it was great, for R4200 I would rather have a lekker weekend away somewhere with mates/wife and ride uncongested trails.

not slating W2W - it's a great event with awesome trails. I'm just not into waiting at every bump in the track for someone in front to stop and walk around it.