Shimano XTR pedals...

Swart Kat

This is not a batch problem - the 980 XTR pedals are complete ****; the design is fundamentally flawed. Just Google for it and you will see that since the pedal has been on the market they have either developed severe play after a few months of use (as mine did) or simply come right off the spindle as per the OP. If you have these pedals and they seem ok, be warned - they will fail soon.

Get XT until Shimano fixes this. I have 960 and 970 XTR pedals that are about 11 and 6 years old respectively that still work perfectly with no play and bearings as smooth as butter.

I just use the Ryder spds and at 300g a pair and R500 bucks they win both ways!

EDIT: Oh yes, they also have a lifetime guarantee!

http://www.rydercycling.co.za/Graphics/Pedals/SPD%20BI%20PEDAL.jpg

Where do you buy these?

there is even a better solution...get spd 540's...basically xt's without the badge.

My spd of choice...cheap as chips, hard as nails

Hey, that's what i was going to say. Although I got "fancy" about 4 years back and bought XT. I'm still using them, but they are no better than the 540s

Hey, that's what i was going to say. Although I got "fancy" about 4 years back and bought XT. I'm still using them, but they are no better than the 540s

Me too, if I had to do it all over, I would just get 540's...they are the butterzone

Where do you buy these?

Any LBS that stocks Ryder products should have them otherwise they will be able to order them for you.

+1 - happened to me at start of Sani2C day 2 - lucky did not happen on the descent into the Umko valley - use XT now - had to run back to mechanics, get new pedals (XT this time) and then phone partner to tell him to wait up for me. Used XT ever since.

This is not a batch problem - the 980 XTR pedals are complete ****; the design is fundamentally flawed. Just Google for it and you will see that since the pedal has been on the market they have either developed severe play after a few months of use (as mine did) or simply come right off the spindle as per the OP. If you have these pedals and they seem ok, be warned - they will fail soon.

Get XT until Shimano fixes this. I have 960 and 970 XTR pedals that are about 11 and 6 years old respectively that still work perfectly with no play and bearings as smooth as butter.

Have the guys who have their pedals swopped-out had them fail again? Assuming they are the same XTR 980 model.

Pretty sure mine are these:

http://media.nashbar.com/images/nashbar/products/1500/SH-PDM980-NCL-ANGLE.jpg

The solution is really very simple, get XT pedals.

XTR pedals are not worth the extra money and all the hassle that most guys seem to have with them.

XT pedals on the other hand are superbly tough and last for 10's of thousands of abuse.

Wondering about the weight difference, XTR = 310g vs XT = 343g per pair.

Worth the extra bucks and all the issues that the less durable XTR pedals have, I think not.

the older version of the XTR pedals were great - no issues whatsoever.

But I agree, no difference using new XT pedals, excellent for mtb riding.

Have the guys who have their pedals swopped-out had them fail again? Assuming they are the same XTR 980 model.

Pretty sure mine are these:

http://media.nashbar.com/images/nashbar/products/1500/SH-PDM980-NCL-ANGLE.jpg

Jip, im on my 4th set now! These ones are being replaced, hopefully! 6months old. Wish that the CoolHeat guys would comment on this toppic! I sent them a mail, NO REPLY!

No problems with mine, been riding them for two years now :thumbup: Although my XT pedals have started to rust :eek:

My XTR developed severe play/ worn out after 1y. Quote is 1K to service/fix. Bought XT trail now.