Rogue riders: how to find a workable solution?

Cassie

We owe a huge THANKS to people like Hellwarp who do so much for the sport, i couldn't agree more.

I loath this topic as much as I loath having to police trails but hopefully some people will start realising the consequences of their hard-headedness. Rogue rider, freeloader, trespasser. Refer to them as you please but "loosely" they are people who knowingly make use of trails without adhering to the rules of said trail.

Its not up to the landowners to ensure that rules are followed and riders act in a reponsible manner its up to the riders themselves.

Some MTB'ers feel cycling should be cheap, they want to ride everywhere but don't like the idea of having to pay. Its not cheap anymore, look what bikes cost. Compare it to golf, you join a club and thats where you play, the same course every week, if you want to try another course then you pay the green fees to play there. Thats how it works and without that arrangement there wouldn't be golf clubs.

"Roge riders" need to to start seeing the bigger picture or they will ultimately be the demise of the trails currently available and further trail development.

Any of those names will do. It seems like that even though mtb is now a mainstream activity, there’s still a legacy of ‘covert riding’, ‘trail poaching’ etc. I can’t speak for the people who do this, I’m sure they have their reasons. What we do know for sure is that a small majority can really wreck the game for the rest who do play by the rules. I feel for those who have poured hours over the years for trail advocacy, doing their best to rid the stigma of mtb being ‘bad news’.

I deal with landowners quite a bit organising adventure races. It’s quite a challenge getting their minds around the concept most of the time – it’s invariably a one off event, with pairs crossing their land sporadically. We don’t have anything to offer them financially and often need to deal with questions over liability and ‘security/trespassing’. We are very strict on littering, closing gates and fires. Our biggest headache is often guys getting lost and wandering, but generally the feedback is great and it would be so much easier doing a return event. So I’m with the landowners here, and can well imagine the hassle created by opening up their properties to riding. The law in our country makes them king of their land and we as mtb riders are privileged to ride where access is granted.

How do we solve this issue, as it seems to be cropping up simultaneously across the cape?

I think an electronic system using phones/trackers/rfid is going to be the final solution, but that will still take a while for it to be cheap, widespread and foolproof. For now number boards is probably the best option.

We can set up rules and systems as much as we like, but the policing is always going to be an issue. A single access point with manned security is expensive and is only as good as its fencing(ie. Jonkershoek – I admit to dodging the hut in varsity days, both to save money and the then early gate closing times – can’t believe 15 years later it’s still so easy!).

In my mind it really goes back to education. The freeloaders need to understand that what they are doing is jeopardising access for everyone. More importantly, those who are playing by the rules need to realise that letting the freeloaders cause havoc affects everyone. If we just turn a blind eye, then it will just go on and more routes will be lost, both existing getting shut and prospective never opening. Regular riders need to become the eyes of their routes, empower them with the ability to check for permits. Educate everyone that this is a necessary intervention to maintain trail access.

My rant, this really p1ss3s me off. In the grand scheme of things, trail access is so damn cheap. It really is.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My rant, this really p1ss3s me off. In the grand scheme of things, trail access is so damn cheap. It really is.

Agreed!

..It's the price of losing it that we can't afford!

i am sometime totally amazed at the ignorance of some of our hubbers. " Wannabees are affiliated to Amarider"

O-rings and a small bracket to clip on maybe? Should take less than two minutes to attach.

I have some Velcro strips much like this to attach the my board to the bars

http://www.buycableties.com/images/products/detail/.75inchVelcroBrandCableTiesPuck2.1.jpg

i am sometime totally amazed at the ignorance of some of our hubbers. " Wannabees are affiliated to Amarider"

What do you mean by this?

OK here goes...

I suggest you wake up and smell the coffee - oh, yes, that is the only benefit that the road cyclists get from my membership fee - the odd cuppa and muffin on a club ride...

End of discussion - please stay off the route untill you get a membership board...

Umm... if you read what he has actually written, he only rides areas he is allowed to.

i don't mind paying to ride cool, well-maintained trails (and i DO pay where required). I ride the Big Red Barn often, and though they charge R40 pp, i pay gladly to use their trails. it's open there and i've seen many riders come in from adjacent farm roads, without paying. i understand the effort that goes into getting permission from landowners and developing great trails, but expecting someone to belong to a club to have access to trails is nonsense. i don't belong to a club and i won't either - so i'm then seen as a "rogue rider"? that's BS....

i don't mind paying to ride cool, well-maintained trails (and i DO pay where required). I ride the Big Red Barn often, and though they charge R40 pp, i pay gladly to use their trails. it's open there and i've seen many riders come in from adjacent farm roads, without paying. i understand the effort that goes into getting permission from landowners and developing great trails, but expecting someone to belong to a club to have access to trails is nonsense. i don't belong to a club and i won't either - so i'm then seen as a "rogue rider"? that's BS....

Nope, someone (like you) who pays trail fees is not a ‘rogue rider’. I prefer ‘freeloader’ as it’s hard to get that confused.

This is the problem I can forsee us having in the area where we would like to establish trails. Because there would be various access points and routes, I dont see how we could control access to keep the guys who dont want to pay off the routes that have taken time and money to create. Ultimately landowners would close off their sections and then we all lose out.

Do you not want to belong to a club because of a hassle factor or because of the cost?

It is this dumb selfish attitude that is the problem. Jeez are you stupid you are not allowed to ride on private property, this is law. If it was not for the club all riding would be illegal. By not belonging to the club you are trespassing on private property, if the club did not organize access you are still trespassing on private property. Your attitude and mindset is BS...

It is this dumb selfish attitude that is the problem. Jeez are you stupid you are not allowed to ride on private property, this is law. If it was not for the club all riding would be illegal. By not belonging to the club you are trespassing on private property, if the club did not organize access you are still trespassing on private property. Your attitude and mindset is BS...

He pays to ride there!!! Hence he is ALLOWED TO RIDE THERE

Agree. Clubs must be careful here. If he pays every time he rides, he is actually paying more than the annual subs. Most club fees work out to less than 1 ride a month over a year. So be glad and take the extra money!

On the other hand, people like riding different trails. Why must they be members at every trail, if they are willing to pay "visitors" fees????

You must be kidding me?? Please tell me this is a joke reply??

I'll wait a bit before i get back to replying to each line ....

Please stay off our routes in the mean time...it's people EXACTLY like you who is the cause of all the trouble!!

no board - no ride!!

janee wil ek ook weet!

ja stay off our routes

anycase 3 borde, 5 borde

2 skoenveters en daar gat jy. Dis geen moeite om een bord af te haal en 'n nader een op te sit nie.

Cassie jy in vir die Monster?

an attitude of entitlement wont help anyone. Unfortunately the club builds, maintains and negotiate because of the empowerment through numbers.. now that is positive for all, so why would you feel so entitled if you dont make yourself part of that collective I ask, its not a gang or a"bende" my dear friend. Paying R550 to have access to all this brilliant trails that we have in Tygerberg and you dont have to do anything, you dont even have to wear clubkit! Its an absolute no brainer!!! So lets pull up our skirts HTFU , pay our dues and protect the PRIVILEDGE that a lot of other people worked so hard to achieve. Jinne!!!

Who does he pay? the club? the landowner?

if there are structures in place (like Jonkers for example)...then club membership is not necessary...however, our routes are PRIVATE...so the only way to ride them is to pay the club membership...until we come up with a workeable solution i.t.o. day passes.

PS: by joining a club, it does not mean you have to kumbya around the campfire with 100's of strangers...you just need a member identifying board, that's all. No board - no ride on trails...easy!

Archived