The Empire Strikes Back: Specialized Sues A Bike Shop Over Name

Bad Girl

Ja-nee, when you are involved in some way with Spaz, or own some of their stuff, then you believe there's nothing else out there.... But it's very easy to become anti-Spaz once the blindfold is removed and you actually see what tossers they are.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't they have a model called Tarmac too? On that basis they should sue eToll for the use of tarmac highways. Would at least benefit all of us.

What a bunch of f'ing twunts!

Ja-nee, when you are involved in some way with Spaz, or own some of their stuff, then you believe there's nothing else out there.... But it's very easy to become anti-Spaz once the blindfold is removed and you actually see what tossers they are.

+1

"Special"-ized type of tossers these

Have to say, this bike store is on the winning end so far, as ANY type of publicity is publicity...

I am sure every contributor to is thread has had a visit to his web page, I know I did!!!

Edited by NINER_boy

Specialized Bicycles is requesting Cafe Roubaix Bicycles change it’s name or else they’ll huff and they’ll puff and they’ll sue due to trademark infringement. While Dan’s lawyer claims he has a case, since the name is an icon of bike culture, and there are dozens of products with the name e.g. the Fuji Roubaix Road Bike and Challenge Roubaix Tires. But to pursue this case would cost an estimated $150,000, so the small shop must capitulate.

According to Specialized Canada, the company is defending it’s legally owned trademark because it is legally required to defend or lose it.

how does a company get into a position where a statement is made: "legally required", to defend a trademark against a shop ? and why is this not happening against Fuji etc ?

Trademark is registered as such in Canada, not in Europe and the US - or anywhere else, for that matter. It would be laughed out of the application process.

Fuji is obviously not produced in Canada - it would be interesting to see if the bike is sold there...

Perhaps Specialized do not want a fight with someone (the company that owns the Fuji brand, and Kestrel and Oval concepts or L'Equipe/ASO who own the Roubaix race...) who can actually fight back.

Very cynical ploy by Specialized in this respect.

<snip>

His military career, after stints in Afghanistan and elsewhere, was brought to an end due to post traumatic stress disorder. <snip>

His shop, which opened in March, is located perfectly above an ice cream shop <snip>

For Dan, changing his stores name is a lot more than just a sign.. <snip>

Is it just me or can you also hear the sad violin music tugging the heart strings when reading this article?

Spez have registered the name more than 6 years ago and has been using it for longer, I would think they are acting perfectly in their rights by defending what is theirs. The right to own a trademark is a cornerstone of capitalism. If you want to blame someone blame the CIPO who allowed them to register the name in the first place.

Why do the corner bike shop have a bigger right to use the name than the guys who registered it years ago? Would it really hurt his business if he is forced to change the name?

*And just to clarify - I don't particularly like the Spez brand & probably will never own a Spez bike, but I don't think they are in the wrong here.

Is it just me or can you also hear the sad violin music tugging the heart strings when reading this article?

Spez have registered the name more than 6 years ago and has been using it for longer, I would think they are acting perfectly in their rights by defending what is theirs. The right to own a trademark is a cornerstone of capitalism. If you want to blame someone blame the CIPO who allowed them to register the name in the first place.

Why do the corner bike shop have a bigger right to use the name than the guys who registered it years ago? Would it really hurt his business if he is forced to change the name?

*And just to clarify - I don't particularly like the Spez brand & probably will never own a Spez bike, but I don't think they are in the wrong here.

Nice try but you miss the point by a country mile boet!

Nice try but you miss the point by a country mile boet!

Ok, thanks for pointing that out - would be even more helpful if you can tell where I'm missing the point?

Ok, thanks for pointing that out - would be even more helpful if you can tell where I'm missing the point?

Figure it out boet. Because they can does not mean they should.

oh my word, how horrific. I am gonna sell all my Spez bikes and clothing. And buy anther brand who are not focussed on making money and dominating the market. :thumbup: Gonna ride a Raleigh 29er from Makro safe bet. :ph34r:

Edited by schalk1982

Figure it out boet. Because they can does not mean they should.

I'm trying but you're not helping...

Just because its fashionable to jump on the "anti-big-evil-corporate" bandwagon doesn't mean the little guy is always right.

I'm trying but you're not helping...

Just because its fashionable to jump on the "anti-big-evil-corporate" bandwagon doesn't mean the little guy is always right.

You are still missing the point Boet. Think commercially. In the end public opinion will always win.

Edited by Hardtail

oh my word, how horrific. I am gonna sell all my Spez bikes and clothing. And buy anther brand who are not focussed on making money and dominating the market. :thumbup: Gonna ride a Raleigh 29er from Makro safe bet. :ph34r:

That would be the right thing to do :whistling:

You are still missing the point Boet. Think commercially. In the end public opinion will always win.

Lets see, rightly or wrongly I hardly think the large Spez fan club out there will particularly care. And in a few days this incident will be forgotten and be replaced by some new fight for injustice on the social media platforms