The Empire Strikes Back: Specialized Sues A Bike Shop Over Name

Bad Girl

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see, rightly or wrongly I hardly think the large Spez fan club out there will particularly care. And in a few days this incident will be forgotten and be replaced by some new fight for injustice on the social media platforms

That is "big evil corporate" think.

Still missing the point Boet.

That is "big evil corporate" think.

Still missing the point Boet.

The point is it was a stupid thing to do. They had nothing to protect in the first place. Due to social media, this will bite them in the bum, just from the comments in this thread alone there must be 4/5 people that hate them right now and have publicly declared they will not buy there products. Which part are you missing?

The point is it was a stupid thing to do. They had nothing to protect in the first place. Due to social media, this will bite them in the bum, just from the comments in this thread alone there must be 4/5 people that hate them right now and have publicly declared they will not buy there products. Which part are you missing?

You are right Caerus. Never mind what is being said on The Hub, this topic is trending on mtb sites and in mtb chat rooms around the world and Spez is being decimated. It is a pr disaster for them. Their damage control people are probably meeting as we speak. They will climb down next week.

Wishfull thinking. They make good bikes. If the legal department have a brain freeze, does mean they make bad bikes. Edited by schalk1982

As an individual trying to operate a small business I suppose this struck a chord with me. I'm supposed to maintain a neutral attitude, not upset anyone so as not to impact on business, BUT, morals and principles take precedence and that's the way I have always been.

The Specilaized trademark 'Roubaix' in Canada refers to that to do with bicycles, bicycle frames, bicycle forks and other associated bicycle components. Is the name of a bicycle shop which is also the name of a famous cycling event / town in France going to impact on that trademark? I personally don't think so, on the face of it.

How many times have you come across the problems of trying to deal with a large corporate business who either have legions of call centres / minions / lawyers / contracts / small print to hide behind. Just because they're bigger doesn't make them automatically right.

Should we care?, whether we are Specialized customers or not? I think we should. It's when we just shrug our shoulders and say 'oh well' that things start to go downhill.

The way I see this little shop has gained a huge amount already. Who knew of it until Specialized took this action? I do see Specialized's point though, if they do not take action they would lose there intellectual property and anyone (including other manufacturers) could use it. Although, a simple solution might be to help this shop setting up a new name.

As an individual trying to operate a small business I suppose this struck a chord with me. I'm supposed to maintain a neutral attitude, not upset anyone so as not to impact on business, BUT, morals and principles take precedence and that's the way I have always been.

The Specilaized trademark 'Roubaix' in Canada refers to that to do with bicycles, bicycle frames, bicycle forks and other associated bicycle components. Is the name of a bicycle shop which is also the name of a famous cycling event / town in France going to impact on that trademark? I personally don't think so, on the face of it.

How many times have you come across the problems of trying to deal with a large corporate business who either have legions of call centres / minions / lawyers / contracts / small print to hide behind. Just because they're bigger doesn't make them automatically right.

Should we care?, whether we are Specialized customers or not? I think we should. It's when we just shrug our shoulders and say 'oh well' that things start to go downhill.

Right. Evil flourishes when good people look the other way.

Wishfull thinking. They make good bikes. If the legal department have a brain freeze, does mean they make bad bikes.

Don't get me wrong, as in my earlier post I said they make good bikes( although over priced) and great products but I personally think they had a brain fart regarding this.

The way I see this little shop has gained a huge amount already. Who knew of it until Specialized took this action? I do see Specialized's point though, if they do not take action they would lose there intellectual property and anyone (including other manufacturers) could use it. Although, a simple solution might be to help this shop setting up a new name.

problem is, there is way too much prior art to justify roubaix being spesh's intellectual property. it's not even american or english! i hope the patent's office steps in to right size this argument. It's the same crap that gives Apple the 'right' to nail anyone who dares make a rectangular mobile device with round edges. Since when is rounded edges intellectual property? Same applies to a street/town/region name.

Edited by Capricorn

Don't get me wrong, as in my earlier post I said they make good bikes( although over priced) and great products but I personally think they had a brain fart regarding this.

Agreed. Absolutely. Could have handled it better. Wont stop me buying their bikes, shoes, helmets etc.