Tokai permit

nicds

Hi

I've searched the net and the forum and can't seem to find any recent info on what the price of the permit is for riding in Tokai.

Does anyone know?

And do you still get it from the hut at the picnic area?

(Sorry it's been a while since I've ridden there)

Thanks a lot.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its R360 for the year (bargain in my opinion) and you get it from the office a few hundred meters past the picnic area, signposted on the right hand side.

Edited by marko35s

Extract from MyActivity Card renewal letter received recently:

"You must purchase a My Activity Permit

This will allow you to undertake your specified activity in the areas designated for this purpose within Table Mountain National Park and the relevant Environmental management plan for twelve months from date of purchase.

The 3 levels of permits and their prices are as follows:

Level 1: Dog walking – R210

Level 1: Dog walking Additional member R75

Level 2: Hang- and Paragliding, Sport/Rock Climbing- R325

Level 3: Horse Riding, Mountain Biking and Line Fishing including the associated movement and introduction of line fish through a national park for recreational purposes) (DAFF licence required) – R430

• Prices valid from 1 November 2013"

Hope it helps.

Great. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Activity card definitely the way to go.

Just getting back into riding though and will dip my toe in with a day entry for my first ride back.

Thanks again.

I am getting a bit worried how fast it is going, up last year june 2011 it was 350, this year june it was 370 now it is 430.. hmmm and yes it might not be bad against 45 daily entrance ... but if you guys keep saying what a bargain it is gives them licence to just go wild and increase the price way way way higher than the inflation rate or anything else for that matter ....so if its a bargain at R500 they will think lets just make it a grand look at all these fancy bikes these people can afford it ....they said it was a bargain .... yes I know a good set of tyres cost a grand blah blah blah anyways maybe I'm just being a troll here but that is my 2 cents in a nutshell keep going on about what a bargain it is an soon it wont be ..

Guest Omega Man

I am getting a bit worried how fast it is going, up last year june 2011 it was 350, this year june it was 370 now it is 430.. hmmm and yes it might not be bad against 45 daily entrance ... but if you guys keep saying what a bargain it is gives them licence to just go wild and increase the price way way way higher than the inflation rate or anything else for that matter ....so if its a bargain at R500 they will think lets just make it a grand look at all these fancy bikes these people can afford it ....they said it was a bargain .... yes I know a good set of tyres cost a grand blah blah blah anyways maybe I'm just being a troll here but that is my 2 cents in a nutshell keep going on about what a bargain it is an soon it wont be ..

I agree and disagree at the same time. Haha. I think individually the memberships to the MTB facilities is pretty reasonable but when you add it up it's getting a little bit much to swallow. Say you want an annual membership for Tokai, Jonkers, Hoegekraal and Helderberg. That's R2000 pretty much. The way I figure it is choose your "local" for the year and pay the annual membership cos that's where you'll do most of your riding and go day permits for the rest.

I agree and disagree at the same time. Haha. I think individually the memberships to the MTB facilities is pretty reasonable but when you add it up it's getting a little bit much to swallow. Say you want an annual membership for Tokai, Jonkers, Hoegekraal and Helderberg. That's R2000 pretty much. The way I figure it is choose your "local" for the year and pay the annual membership cos that's where you'll do most of your riding and go day permits for the rest.

Yes, I think that's how most of us do it.

Even at a grand it's a bargain. If you ride twice a month that's less than 40 per ride. At a ride a week that's 25 smackers a ride. What else can you do for a grand a year? My wpcc membership is 1 1/2 per year and that just gets me ACCESS to the facilities. I still have to pay to play squash, cricket or anything else on the site.

But I have to say - if it went up to a grand per year I'd want at least 400 of that to go to the Trails.

Just purely from a self serving point of view, I would like to see Parks consider a "family" deal like they have on Wild Cards. Why not have it on Activity Cards also?

If I add it all up for myself and the rest of the DJR mob, it gets expensive very quickly and a bit of a bulk discount will be much appreciated. Next year I won't buy the boys Activity Cards again, because they haven't cycled Tokai enough to justify it, I'll just buy day permits for them, but it is such a schlep.

Yeah, the price is one of the contributing factors as to why I dont really ride there anymore. I much prefer jonkers, sorry guys, but tokai is just not tokai anymore. I was up there in the week for the first time in a very long time, and I felt like it was just a ride, nothing special etc. The trails are sandy and dodge in some places, however I can see the vision and what it can look like with clay being added. The work being done there is great, but some how I feel like somthing is missing. R45 entry I would want somthing special. Jonkers is R30 which is totally awesome!!!!

I dont buy a yearly permit, as i tend to ride at alot of different places, and also I dont ride that often. So to buy an activity card for me is just not worth it

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Yeah, hairy. The day entry price is a bit steep, especially if you're travelling from your side. Same reason I find jonkers so expensive - it's a R 200 Exercise for me each time I want to go there.