[Event] MTN NATIONAL MTB SERIES #2 Sabie

Tim_Fair

2x10 chainsuck has really spoilt my last two marathons, and even last years Sani Race day2 was diabolical.

I realise the 3x9 is much better and 1x10 with a 42 bailout sprocket is definitely the way forward. 2x10 chainrings are just too close for mud riding, and no lube could deal with Saturdays slush, not even Smoove.

It's interesting you say that. I raced both Dullstroom and Sabie on Shimano XT 2x10 but fitted with very well used SLX chainrings and cluster (more than 3000km) and a newish SLX chain. I didn't have one moment of chainsuck in either race or any drivetrain admin to speak of. At Dullstroom I only stopped once to apply some lube on the long climb and at Sabie someone applied some lube for me at the second water point. Apart from that I didn't waste any time washing my bike in the river crossings and I didn't apply any more lube. I started both races with a properly cleaned drivetrain but coated with a healthy dose of Muc-Off wet lube (my only choice of lube regardless of conditions).

So I don't think 1x11 is the only answer. There were plenty of riders out there (pro's included) who had plenty of drivetrain admin even on their 1x11's. I also saw and passed a number of 1x11 riders really struggling to turn their cranks on the big climbs whereas I had the range to spin out the big climbs and pace myself far better for the rest of the race. I won't say never but for now I see no reason to change from my 2 x 10.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Fritz, Wessel, Tim, and the Sabie co.

Lekker weekend away with the family.<br style="color: rgb(25, 49, 77); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px;" />Marathon was really tough, first full 75km Classic there for me. I can imagine the route to be quite spectacular, some gaps in the cloud really gave the most amazing glimpses into the landscape.<br style="color: rgb(25, 49, 77); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px;" />Mud seemed worse than last years Lowveld Quest.<br style="color: rgb(25, 49, 77); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px;" />Bullsh.. um, Bushpig Run was hectic, wheels stopped turning as the mud caked on and my bike went from 13kg to 30kg, and I got 10cm taller.<br style="color: rgb(25, 49, 77); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px;" />Had some hectic heart stopping saves as my Rocket Rons skated perpendicular to some of the "sand" (read clay) roads.<br style="color: rgb(25, 49, 77); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px;" />Water points - great, 2000% better than Dullstroom - enough to drink and eat, and still get a quick drivetrain squirt. Thank you.<br style="color: rgb(25, 49, 77); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px;" />Pity the forest single track was so wet, caution got the better of me and it was slow going at times.<br style="color: rgb(25, 49, 77); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px;" />The Mamba - niiiice. always difficult having to pedal backwards to go forwards.<br style="color: rgb(25, 49, 77); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px;" />2x10 chainsuck has really spoilt my last two marathons, and even last years Sani Race day2 was diabolical.<br style="color: rgb(25, 49, 77); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px;" />I realise the 3x9 is much better and 1x10 with a 42 bailout sprocket is definitely the way forward. 2x10 chainrings are just too close for mud riding, and no lube could deal with Saturdays slush, not even Smoove.<br style="color: rgb(25, 49, 77); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px;" />Will be back, rain or shine, Sabie is a great event.

<br style="color: rgb(25, 49, 77); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px;" />Put back Barberton into the Series mix and the world will be a better place smile.png

Thanks for the awesome feedback! Glad you liked it!

Mpumalanga can have 8 great events and each one can offer something unique and special, but unfortunately we need to think Nationally. (Need to fine tune the Cape & KZN hope to have that sorted by 2015.)

Hope to one day have more provincial marathon series going countrywide similar to the Nissan Trailseeker... that feeds the bigger National events.

This year I promise Clarens will live up to the expectations we are starting this weekend with major improvements that will see minimal overlap, great trails and distances that are inline with the difficulty expected so that it's more inline with the other national mtb series standard.

Wessel, while I really enjoyed the challenge that the marathon offered I do think that I am in the minority. I say this because there where only 410 finishers which is quite low IMO, I think you might have lost some following from other weekend warriors who found the event simply unpleasant. The Bushpig single track is a case in point as I saw many riders taking the shortcut home after that debacle and I don't think they'll be back. I would suggest that in future those sort of sections be carefully considered before leaving it in the race as it did not add anything to the race but rather detracted from it. But then again when a back marker like me finishes a race when hundreds don't I feel kinda chuffed, so maybe leave it as it is and let the survivalists wear their finish as a badge of honour.

Don't spoil my delusion with facts now!

Hahaha....I saw 4 guys arguing in the parking before the start. 2 wanted to ride and 2 wanted to bail. Looking at the conditions I guess that's why cyclocross isn't big here in SA. Riders are scared of the mud.

I wonder how many entered and how many actually started.

I think it would have been around 2600 entries across the board. As for how many were brave enough to start, no idea.

It's interesting you say that. I raced both Dullstroom and Sabie on Shimano XT 2x10 but fitted with very well used SLX chainrings and cluster (more than 3000km) and a newish SLX chain. I didn't have one moment of chainsuck in either race or any drivetrain admin to speak of. At Dullstroom I only stopped once to apply some lube on the long climb and at Sabie someone applied some lube for me at the second water point. Apart from that I didn't waste any time washing my bike in the river crossings and I didn't apply any more lube. I started both races with a properly cleaned drivetrain but coated with a healthy dose of Muc-Off wet lube (my only choice of lube regardless of conditions).

So I don't think 1x11 is the only answer. There were plenty of riders out there (pro's included) who had plenty of drivetrain admin even on their 1x11's. I also saw and passed a number of 1x11 riders really struggling to turn their cranks on the big climbs whereas I had the range to spin out the big climbs and pace myself far better for the rest of the race. I won't say never but for now I see no reason to change from my 2 x 10.

Souns like Shimano still RULES !

My xt 2x10 setup chain suck caused me to stop at least 10 times during the race... :thumbdown: Seriously considering 1x10, but not sure I would make it up the mamba or mount moody with a 32x36 :wacko:

Hahaha....I saw 4 guys arguing in the parking before the start. 2 wanted to ride and 2 wanted to bail. Looking at the conditions I guess that's why cyclocross isn't big here in SA. Riders are scared of the mud.

I saw 2 guys arguing at the end as to who was going to pay for the damage to their drive trains. I think the Sani partnership ended right there.

I rode with many guys who had Shimano and had just as much chain suck as i did. Would be interesting to know how many guys running 1x11 had issues.

My wife impressed me so much on sunday i might do alot more events with her! She was passing alot of men on the descents and even rode all the slippery tech downhills!!

XTR with X0 crank - had chainsuck once at the start of Mount Moody BUT I carried lube this time after walking most of the big climb at Dullstroom due to chainsuck. (2x10)

Edited by jcza

I rode with many guys who had Shimano and had just as much chain suck as i did. Would be interesting to know how many guys running 1x11 had issues.

I had no issues with my SRAM 2x10 and chatted to one chap running 1x11 who kept dropping his chain.

I saw a guy on a Cyclocross bike !!!

HUGE RESPECT. Made me look like a real amateur.

I saw that after the race - any idea who it was, I think I saw the same bike on a bike rack yesterday - a Cannondale.

Any idea if he is on the hub - would like to get his thoughts on doing it on a Cyclocross bike.

freddie@maniyakcycles.co.za

It's actually a Scott. Ridiculous. He was part of my crew for the tour we did to sabie .... awesome. And he hasn't been training for months now maybe one ride a week ... you have NO idea how strong this guy really is. He is however getting back into teh game this year ... one to watch 'rise out of nowhere'