[Event] 99er Cycle Tour

Ninetyniner Durbanville

A few gems from this post on Facebook: https://www.facebook...631380486909817

"I did not sign up for a 2km gravel road on my Cervelo road bike"

"If I had to have fallen off my bike my training would have suffered intensely"

"After endangering cyclists lives over a 2km gravel road you give a key ring as a medal - PATHETIC!"

"My bike has been chipped due to the gravel road"

My apologies Mr Cervelo, yes this race was organised purely with you as our focus, so nothing grieves us more deeply than that it was not to your exacting specifications, going forward all riders putting forward positive feedback will be exiled to the circle of shame. Please accept this bottle of over-priced bicycle polish as a burnt offering to your Awesome steed, which we are not worthy to gaze upon.

Edited by eeeek

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few gems from this post on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/99erCycleTourAndMtbChallenge/posts/631380486909817

"I did not sign up for a 2km gravel road on my Cervelo road bike"

"If I had to have fallen off my bike my training would have suffered intensely"

"After endangering cyclists lives over a 2km gravel road you give a key ring as a medal - PATHETIC!"

"My bike has been chipped due to the gravel road"

That's funny.

Edited by ' Dale

bike made it just fine. shoes didn't - needed a screw driver to get the one off

Glad to hear they were all 'well', bud. Could have been much worse

post-41053-0-40794100-1392015134_thumb.jpg

Well my road bike got some kudos from the MTB when I parked it in the garage all covered in dust.

I really enjoyed the dirt section, it was something different and gave us a glimpse of what the euro pros have to do. I told my dad afterwards that the bike felt really squirmy through the dirt so I took it really easy, starva said I clocked 70kph on the dirt, no wonder the bike was squirmy...

I rode with $, the bunch was very big and it seemed that a break just couldn't get away from the front. The pace was quite erratic with the size of the bunch and guys trying to attack at the front. The first time the bunch properly split was on the dirt section. The first proper attacks from the climbers happened up Malanshogte and the bunch seemed to break up in a big way. We regrouped a bit up Vissershoek and then scattered again over the top and up the final climb. Finished in 2:33. A good morning out on the bike and perfect weather.

Edit: Added peektcha of dirty bike.

Edited by NitroDoni41

I would really have enjoyed the race, including the gravel section, if I hadn't been one of the unlucky bastards to get a flat on the gravel section. That sinking feeling when you see $ group dissapearing in the dust...

I would really have enjoyed the race, including the gravel section, if I hadn't been one of the unlucky bastards to get a flat on the gravel section. That sinking feeling when you see $ group dissapearing in the dust...

most of us got up. one guy didn't move till the medics took him to hospital, 3 badly broken bikes and lots of skin left on the tar.

going down at 50km/h is not fun

Ons het so paar min net daar na verby gegaan. Ek het amper gedink die persoon was dood gewees want daar het n wit lap gele!!! het nie snaaks gelyk nie. En net soos 1km voor dit het ons almal self amper n ongeluk gehad. groep wat ons in gehaal het wat ons me besig was om deur te werk, toe trek een dom ou sy briek en kos my om brieke vas te kap ook. ek hoor seker 80 ryers wat gil en ek daar by ook op die ou voor ons!!! was nie snaaks nie.

Edited by Gerlach

Firstly, thanks very much for all the pics. Much appreciated. And thanks to the organisers. I loved the race, swan dive into the grass (gravel section) and all.

Does anyone know the condition of the cyclist that was hit from behind by a Bakker at about 20km into the race. Bakker obviously saw the bunch too late in the mist and hit him pretty hard. I sat with him while the driver called emergency number, he seemed pretty bad but no apparent external injuries. I left when another guy from his club stopped so just want to check how he is doing. He was probably in like L batch. Had black kit on with some colorful strips on it.

Thanks Lylo, I passed the accident scene and it was very unnerving. Would appreciate more info on this though as I would feel better knowing for a fact he is ok.

my first time doing the 99er and the long route at that, and i was extremely happy with the race! A big thanks to the marshals, medics and race organisers for the awesome support during the ride. And with regards to the gravel, it was uncool but a very much needed change of environment for a roady...

post-41053-0-40794100-1392015134_thumb.jpg

Well my road bike got some kudos from the MTB when I parked it in the garage all covered in dust.

I really enjoyed the dirt section, it was something different and gave us a glimpse of what the euro pros have to do. I told my dad afterwards that the bike felt really squirmy through the dirt so I took it really easy, starva said I clocked 70kph on the dirt, no wonder the bike was squirmy...

I rode with $, the bunch was very big and it seemed that a break just couldn't get away from the front. The pace was quite erratic with the size of the bunch and guys trying to attack at the front. The first time the bunch properly split was on the dirt section. The first proper attacks from the climbers happened up Malanshogte and the bunch seemed to break up in a big way. We regrouped a bit up Vissershoek and then scattered again over the top and up the final climb. Finished in 2:33. A good morning out on the bike and perfect weather.

Edit: Added peektcha of dirty bike.

Must have finished with you as also did a 2:33. Its the first time I have had to hose down my road bike after a race!

Must have finished with you as also did a 2:33. Its the first time I have had to hose down my road bike after a race!

Were you in the pure savage kit? Number 159?