[Event] 99er Cycle Tour

Ninetyniner Durbanville

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Racetec down?

Theories are that the Argus seeding process is involving or affecting the site.

Conspiracy Theories are that the Argus seeding process is involving or affecting the site.

Fixed it! ;)

I rode in A today. We caught % an hour or so into the race and chaos ensued. The group was way, way too big for the narrow road and there was a bunch (excuse the pun) of very close calls with vehicles coming the other way.

The marshals tried their best, but it was a very difficult situation with everyone fighting to get to the front of the massive pack.

Saw 2 hideous accidents on the gravel happen right in front of me and more than once thought I was going down too. If I had known the gravel was going to be that bad, I probably wouldn't even have done the race.

I too was in A. The bunch which formed when % and A merge was crazzy big. It was impossible for the marshals to keep order in that lot. I think they did very well getting everyone to the gravel safetly - thanks guys! I take my hat (helmet?) off to the couple of trucks that actually pulled over and let the mad group pass them.

The gravel... well the road itself was ok. But it started off hard and became loose towards the middle. There was also the unexpected downhill in the middle. I am guessing people who know the stretch know this, but most people would not know it. Hitting the breaks in the loose stuff resulted in immediate loss of control, unfortunately with bikes and bodies tumbling all around that was the only option in several cases. I had a couple of near misses - but in the end I had a good race and did not come unstuck. But I won't be doing this race again if the word gravel is mentioned.

Good things... the start was well layed out and organised. The marshalling was good.

I too was in A. The bunch which formed when % and A merge was crazzy big. It was impossible for the marshals to keep order in that lot. I think they did very well getting everyone to the gravel safetly - thanks guys! I take my hat (helmet?) off to the couple of trucks that actually pulled over and let the mad group pass them.

The gravel... well the road itself was ok. But it started off hard and became loose towards the middle. There was also the unexpected downhill in the middle. I am guessing people who know the stretch know this, but most people would not know it. Hitting the breaks in the loose stuff resulted in immediate loss of control, unfortunately with bikes and bodies tumbling all around that was the only option in several cases. I had a couple of near misses - but in the end I had a good race and did not come unstuck. But I won't be doing this race again if the word gravel is mentioned.

Good things... the start was well layed out and organised. The marshalling was good.

Agree that I won't do this again if gravel is included

snip snip.. But I won't be doing this race again if the word gravel is mentioned.

Agree that I won't do this again if gravel is included

And my decision not to ride is vindicated. I predicted this would happen after my "recce ride"

edit: We had a stunning training ride on the part Argus route this morning.

Edited by Wannabe

As someone who started midfield and finished midfield. The gravel was shocking, the early bunches cut the road up and it was like riding on beach sand. We were doing 5km/h, even the guys on mtb were struggling. *** idea. All round good race, great weather. However I agree with previous posts about seeding. Plenty of the takkie boys in early groups, caught them quickly. However plenty of serious cyclists with dream machines in groups s and t and below. Dont understand that.

I was really disappointed by the number of riders in $ that I saw turfing their gel wrappers on the road deliberately.

Dry your eyes.

I was riding down vissershok at around 9am on my mtb, the road was full both sides, many over the white line.

Then at a certain stage 2 cars tried to pass the riders that were crossing the white line, pushing me way over to the left, i could go no further and my bar hit the first cars mirror.

Pathetic riding from those line crossers

Yeah, crazy day out there (for me, in any case).

I rode in A today. We caught % an hour or so into the race and chaos ensued. The group was way, way too big for the narrow road and there was a bunch (excuse the pun) of very close calls with vehicles coming the other way.

The marshals tried their best, but it was a very difficult situation with everyone fighting to get to the front of the massive pack.

Saw 2 hideous accidents on the gravel happen right in front of me and more than once thought I was going down too. If I had known the gravel was going to be that bad, I probably wouldn't even have done the race.

how ironic - I was also in the A and % combined bunch and there was so much space on the left hand side!

And my decision not to ride is vindicated. I predicted this would happen after my "recce ride"

edit: We had a stunning training ride on the part Argus route this morning.

Crashes happen in all races.

It's just part of racing.

The technical section was always gonna test riders' skills. No surprize there.

More importantly, hope everyone that got hurt is okay and will recover fully.

Maybe bear a small scar or few to show off at future rides. :-)

Edited by ' Dale