Need to move from flats to cleats, what do I need?

breaker

"Actually I couldn't care :P"

But you clearly do - the only reasons you give are linked to opinions of others or what they think of you.

It all depends on what kind of riding you do - do a bit of research on the net plenty of pro and con articles then decide.

I changed to flats on the mountain - I'm faster, smoother and my technique is better. I'm far more daring and having much more fun. For XC I would put on cleats.

Google "Flat Pedal Revolution Manifesto" or go to www.bikejames.com - some really good reading

Rather spend the money on a dropper post - you will begin to fly!

Edited by porqui

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly cleats gives you a push and pull action which increases torque with less power.

Secondly it gives a better stroke action=less wear on joints/better circular motion.

The stiffer shoe soles allow for better force transfer too.

Unless you plan to drive up a hill and cycle down it-cleats are a must.

Firstly cleats gives you a push and pull action which increases torque with less power.

Secondly it gives a better stroke action=less wear on joints/better circular motion.

:eek:

DERP alert!!!

"Actually I couldn't care :P"

But you clearly do - the only reasons you give are linked to opinions of others or what they think of you.

It all depends on what kind of riding you do - do a bit of research on the net plenty of pro and con articles then decide.

I changed to flats on the mountain - I'm faster, smoother and my technique is better. I'm far more daring and having much more fun. For XC I would put on cleats.

Google "Flat Pedal Revolution Manifesto" or go to www.bikejames.com - some really good reading

Rather spend the money on a dropper post - you will begin to fly!

So it has pretty much the same effect as riding a 29r then :eek:

hmm, think I need to relocate to couch with some popcorn, this might get entertaining

G

So it has pretty much the same effect as riding a 29r then :eek:

Edited by awesme

Hmmmm.

Now *there's* an overhyped piece of tech.

Overhyped, maybe. Useless, not on your nelly. I think it's more along the likes of upgrading from a Suntour XCT fork to a REBA though - you wonder why you didn't do it earlier, and it DOES change the way you ride.

Ask anyone who has used a dropper if they would part with it.

But hey this thread is not about droppers.

Breaker is also the first I know who wants to change from flats to cleats but by his own admission what does he know not having tried cleats before - so fair enough he needs to try them

Please do not confuse "beartraps" with "flats" !! not the same the one bites badly - I know.

Please do not confuse "beartraps" with "flats" !! not the same the one bites badly - I know.

I still have the scars to remind me of my beartrap days.

But that raises a relevant point.

What type of flats are you riding with and what shoes?

If you're riding in your old asics running shoes and using the crappy pedals that the LBS put on, then you will not have a very good experience - Decent flats, and good ol' 510's and you will be amazed at how planted your feet feel. And people in the parking lot will stop looking at you in disgust, but instead will stand there in awe of the immense coolness that is your flat pedals.. ;) ;)

I do agree however that riding with cleats is more efficient, so it depends on what you want to get out of your riding.

I ride flats (99% of the time). I love them. (but we won't go into the whole "get FiveTens and decent flat pedals" debate here... there are enough of those already on the hub).

...what I will share though, is my experience (as a flat pedal rider) on cleats.

So yes, I bought cleats (to give them a whirl). I was terrified at first of the parkinglot fails or the classic "stall-and-fall" which many riders have while climbing up steep loose terrain.

But luckily my first experince was not like that. In fact it took me 3 or 4 rides before I had an oopsie-daisy with my new disco shoes. And oddly enough this happened while track standing and chatting to a friend. My concentration was lacking so much that when I decided to put a foot down, I chose the wrong foot and provoked laughter from siad friend).

On the trail though, I had no issue. And I found that it was rather natural to unclip and dab when things got hairy.

So if you're dead-set on disco shoes, then go for it. Maybe practice unclipping in a passage way (where one can put and arm out and save themself from a fall, should things go poorly).

Otherwise, nothing wrong with riding in flats. And if you want to feel more in control, read up on FiveTens and decent long pinned pedals. As I said, numerous threads on the matter so just do a search).

Edited by patches

I still have the scars to remind me of my beartrap days.

But that raises a relevant point.

What type of flats are you riding with and what shoes?

If you're riding in your old asics running shoes and using the crappy pedals that the LBS put on, then you will not have a very good experience - Decent flats, and good ol' 510's and you will be amazed at how planted your feet feel. And people in the parking lot will stop looking at you in disgust, but instead will stand there in awe of the immense coolness that is your flat pedals.. ;) ;)

I do agree however that riding with cleats is more efficient, so it depends on what you want to get out of your riding.

:clap: 510 another one of those things sales people wants you to have . Still prefer my orange Asics running shoes to my very expensive "flat pedal / skate board / BMX shoes " . But in the end of the day , you cycle in what you feel comfy in :whistling: .

So to ask the question, if you wanted to try flats, what would a decent pair cost and what would you recommend (nothing to expensive though)? I'm keen to try them with my Trance.

:clap: 510 another one of those things sales people wants you to have . Still prefer my orange Asics running shoes to my very expensive "flat pedal / skate board / BMX shoes " . But in the end of the day , you cycle in what you feel comfy in :whistling: .

FiveTens are like dropper posts. People who have never tried them, see them as an unnecessary expense. People who have tried, realize what all the fuss is about and can never go back to the way things were.

Edited by patches