EPIC COMP CARBON 2014 or Momsen VIPA?

Wasbeer

Hi.

Im looking at buying my first Dual suspension bike and got the 2 bikes up against each other. The VIPA is new to the market but what I heard, its a awesome bike. Im sure there is some Guys that can help me with this one?

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

VIPA

Frame

Carbon Front Triangle, Carbon Rear Triangle, 80mm Rear Wheel Travel

REAR

FOX Float CTD Booste valve Remote

FORK

RockShox Reba RL 29, 100mm travel

GROUPSET

Shimano XT

WHEELS

Stan’s No Tubes ZTR Crest

EPIC

Frame

Fact 9m Carbon Front Traingle

REAR

SHOCKFOX/Specialized

remote Mini-Brain 100mm travel

FORK

RockShox Reba RL 29, 100mm travel

BRAKES

Formula C1

FRONT DERAILLEUR

Custom SRAM, 10-speed

REAR DERAILLEUR

Shimano XT Shadow Plus, 10-speed, SGS long cage

SHIFT LEVERS

Shimano XT, 10-speed, trigger

WHEELS

Stan’s No Tubes ZTR Crest

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know the Spez does not come with ztr wheels, comes with Roval wheels. If you comparing new vs new, the Vipa will be better specced and about R10k more than the carbon comp Spez which is the entry level carbon Epic. If it were my money, Epic, with a wheel upgrade and some S- works shoes. Although the Vipa is awsome.

Edited by Johny Bravo

vipa. its top of its range. build a epic comp is like buying an 1.6l hilux. got the looks but not the performance you want. or just get real and buy a scalpel.

vipa. its top of its range. build a epic comp is like buying an 1.6l hilux. got the looks but not the performance you want. or just get real and buy a scalpel.

As if any Hilux has performance. Oldschool 2004 technology still sold in 2014. Ranger 3.2 baby. :ph34r: But I get the point you trying to make.

As if any Hilux has performance. Oldschool 2004 technology still sold in 2014. Ranger 3.2 baby. :ph34r: But I get the point you trying to make.

haha now lets not get into a bakkie debate. focus on task at hand here.haha but get a scalpel

haha now lets not get into a bakkie debate. focus on task at hand here.haha but get a scalpel

The Hilux manne will eat me alive. Back on Topic, I dont think you can go wrong with any. Both flippen amazing bikes, and good looking machines aswell. Tough choice.

The 2014 comp has a great multi tool storage inside the frame and the spares holder which no other manufacturer has(they will follow).

So the 1.6 is not looking too bad,not to mention that the epic design has won more titles then any other XC bike.

But,the VIPA really is a cool bike too so "ride before you buy"

who does that again??

Edited by feetup

The 2014 comp has a great multi tool storage inside the frame and the spares holder which no other manufacturer has(they will follow).

So the 1.6 is not looking too bad,not to mention that the epic design has won more titles then any other XC bike.

But,the VIPA really is a cool bike too so "ride before you buy"

who does that again??

Amen brother.

Very happy with my Vipa. I like that you can buy the frame and spec it the way you want. If you want to go the spes route you might as well look at the camber.

Very happy with my Vipa. I like that you can buy the frame and spec it the way you want. If you want to go the spes route you might as well look at the camber.

Did not want to bring it up, but I bought the Camber. Much more versatile. Edited by Johny Bravo

Having ridden a Spez Epic back to back with my Vipa I'd say this.

If you intend to do pure marathon, jeep track kinda riding it's 50/50. Go with the one you fancy most. But if you're going to throw some trail and fun into the mix the Vipa is the one you're going to want to be on. It's steering and handling in tight stuff belies the fact that is of the bigger wheeled kind and Momsen / Morewood has performed a small miracle with 80mm's worth of rear wheel travel.

Then add the fact that you won't get stuck in propitiatory gear and ridiculously expensive replacement parts and you have yourself a win win win.

Epic titles holds no relevance as the one has been around for more than a decade (and still they tweak it just about every year), the other less than 12 months. And also because Epic titles hold no relevance.