EPIC COMP CARBON 2014 or Momsen VIPA?

Wasbeer

Ooooh...

Haha, read a couple of your posts today, you really seem to hate Spez. Just joking around wif ya. But why the hate.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should cut this bike in half, seeing there are no clear winners and no one agrees. Lets make it a Vipa with Brain suspension and Roval wheels.

Surely to compare apples with apples you have to compare the Vipa to the S-Works Epic model, becuase it is an elite racer type bike. Comparing those two on price the Vipa is a way better deal than the Spez. S-Works Epic at >R100k vs +-R50k build for the Vipa?

You can really pimp your ride for that R50k you're saving. Drop R30k on ENVE rims on Chris King or Tune hubs and you still under the price of the S-Works. And then get a matching ENVE cockpit setup :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: .

Surely to compare apples with apples you have to compare the Vipa to the S-Works Epic model, becuase it is an elite racer type bike. Comparing those two on price the Vipa is a way better deal than the Spez. S-Works Epic at >R100k vs +-R50k build for the Vipa?

You can really pimp your ride for that R50k you're saving. Drop R30k on ENVE rims on Chris King or Tune hubs and you still under the price of the S-Works. And then get a matching ENVE cockpit setup :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: .

I dont know why everyone seems to think Spez is sooooo expensive. The s-works models are crazy, rest of the bikes are quite fair I think if you shop around. Oh well. My vote still goes for the Epic. The King of cross country racing.

There you go. Point made.

Well, generally speaking, they're ridden by ponces... A vast majority of their fans and owners couldn't tell if the bike they're on IS as awesome as they think it is, or if it had better be considering what they paid. The Cafe Roubaix story. The Epic Wheel Works story. The number of other bullying tactic stories. The stealing Tom Ritcheys design and calling it the Stumpjumper. The fact that only Specialized can service your suspension, in the specified intervals, or else, warranty nonsense. Apples for apples, same exact spec vs same exact spec, the Spez will be more expensive than the other bike, don't care how many you own or how well you're doing. They aren't that much better that they should cost that much more. That said, their marketing dept must be leap years ahead to convince so many fools to part with their money. And no, I'm not jealous coz I don't have/cant afford one. There's an epic sworks in my garage.

What is Momsens & Specialized frame guarantees like?

I'm riding a Momsen so please don't stone me to death for sharing. This will be my last Momsen so if myne brakes and the insurance money will go to a different brand name.

A friend bought a SL729 R 2012 model in March last year. Warranty on frame is 3 year if the bike is not abused. So this bike showed some cracks on the chainstay close to the BB. As you know the cheaper frames do have joints and this is the case with Momsen. Now the bike was send down to the bike shop in PE that sells Momsen and confirmed that its a crack. TWT reply that they don't have stock of 2012 frames. They also don't have 2013 frames. Remember that this bike is not a year old and looks spotless. the cracks are behind the the crankset sprocket so this is not from a fall. I can add the pictures of this bike. They did opt to fix this frame that's got a factory defect. At the end of the day the bike gets fixed but there won't be a replacement to defects. It took TWT 3 weeks to decide to fix the frame.

I know about a Titan carbon defect. small crack started showing under the seatpost clamp. Titan replaced the frame within 5 days. I may not go for a Titan, but they are good looking bikes.

Raleigh didn't have stock to replace a frame with a broken chainstay. They took a complete bike and stripped it for a frame replacement.

We need to know who does stand by their warranty that they offer.

i'll add the 2 pic. one of crack and one of full bike just to show the over all condition of this Momsen. You will this its a brand new bike if you next to it.

https://plus.google.com/photos/108676693964936694497/albums/5971437948348207521/5971437961598136578?pid=5971437961598136578&oid=108676693964936694497

I'm sure the Vipa is a great bike and I have nothing bad to say about it.

When I bought my Epic is was a R3000 premium over the Anthem29 X1. Having ridden the Giant and knowing how comfortable and confident I am on the Epic I still consider it a bargain. I've heard so many claims about this and that pedalling platform being so efficient but the Brain is the only one I've ridden where I can stand up and hammer at any time without feeling that dual suspension lag.

I'm sure the Vipa is a great bike and I have nothing bad to say about it.

When I bought my Epic is was a R3000 premium over the Anthem29 X1. Having ridden the Giant and knowing how comfortable and confident I am on the Epic I still consider it a bargain. I've heard so many claims about this and that pedalling platform being so efficient but the Brain is the only one I've ridden where I can stand up and hammer at any time without feeling that dual suspension lag.

No Dual suspension lag on my HT :clap: :clap: :clap:

Not sure if you can compare the 2 bikes because the vipa frame is in its 1st year of sale and the Epic has been around a long time. You can feel the difference in the ride.....Enve parts arent going to make a difference. Not trying to run down any brand just my opinion after riding the two