Best App for cyclists in SA

TheTijn

I did quite a search for free apps - there are a few. Most get quite mixed reviiews though, some downright bad reviews almost bordering on malware.

The other thing for me is how easy it is for the person at home to pull up the map. I'm a techie and can work with pretty much anything, but it's not much use if my SO at the other end gets something cryptic or difficult to use.

What I liked about this one is when I hit Start on a route it sends her an email with a URL in it that takes her straight to the map. The Map even shows photos I take on way (ok, not a big deal really but nice), but what is handy is it shows my battery level - so she knows if I drop off that it was low battery. Another nice thing was you can set the update frequency low for long rides. Not really sure how effective this is yet, but it seemed to survive a decent time at least as long as Endo used to and possibly longer

You get what you pay for I guess. If you find a good free one drop me a message. Always on the look out

Ja that sounds great, will give it a good looking at tonight. Thanks ou!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We use Endomondo currently, I'm sure you guys will correct me if I'm wrong,but I think it is the only app in which the free version has live tracking, can track my youngsters training rides & progress during races, works pretty well for a free version

Don't know, switched from a phone to Garmin before I started to use Strava. If Endomondo is lighter on the battery you can always use Endomondo for the tracking and copy the .gpx file to strava to check out the stats.

If you're going to mount your phone on handlebars Endomondo has the best dashboard.. speed, time, average speed, distance all show nice and big on one screen... and you can configure it anyway you want to... then you upload the ride to Strava later. If you pack your phone away in your back pocket then you might as well just go with Strava, cos it's so cool to compare your rides... the others don't do that as far as I know.

The disadvantage of using Endomondo as a dashboard is you have to use an app called "Keep Screen On" , and then your battery won't last more than 2 to 3 hours... especially if you break to take a few photos

The other way 6 plus hours no prob

I recently got a Wahoo BlueHR. Prior to this I was using MyTracks (a google app). Now, I use BLE HRM as it records everything, and interfaces perfectly with the Wahoo BlueHR, and after each workout, I store it in my dropbox, and then once a week import those into Endomondo.

I looked at Strava, but I race against the people I race against in person, on the road.

I looked at Strava, but I race against the people I race against in person, on the road.

Comparing rides to other people is a novelty, but what I find really useful is comparing my ride against my own previous rides to see how I improved (or got worse) - way easier / comprehensive on strava.

I find really useful is comparing my ride against my own previous rides to see how I improved (or got worse) - way easier / comprehensive on strava.

Maybe so, for my purposes, even comparing my own rides, Endomondo works for me. And I got the pro version for one US cent during the billionth play store download sale a while ago.

The downside of strava,

I just tried to get a personal best on a big hill near the house, Ebotse Drag,

Pedalled my gat off, came 70 something out of 200.

I thought to myself "thats not too bad, maybe i can try harder and move up the leaderboard" till i saw who has the number 2 spot.

Mr Froome himself.

Bang goes that plan.

a big hill near the house, Ebotse Drag,

That the one from the entrance to Ebotse up the right turn at the wee office park on the right?

That the one from the entrance to Ebotse up the right turn at the wee office park on the right?

yep. i stay at the top of it, a block from that office complex.

Its not super crazy, but its the closest hill around, so i like doing little circuits with that hill in it, almost like an interval.

I run it three times a week and ride it at least three.

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

We use Endomondo currently, I'm sure you guys will correct me if I'm wrong,but I think it is the only app in which the free version has live tracking, can track my youngsters training rides & progress during races, works pretty well for a free version

Recently, the Endomondo live tracking map seems to have gone - or at least I can't find it. Ended up ditching Endo as a option for live tracking. Maybe they just hid the map!