Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So who is planting what? I had some success with my aquaponics. Water temp was an issue and fish kept on dying, now I have some hardy Kurper in there with some goldfish. Planted Cayenne in the growbed, salad and spinach are doing well. In my regular patch mouse birds destroyed prettymuch everything...

I bought quite a few things from Living Seeds:

Tomatoes

Watermelon (crimson sweet)

Spaghetti squash

Gem squash

Spanspek

Chillies

Swiss chard

Red Popcorn

I have planted the seeds in a tray the past weekend and need to prepare the beds and containers over the weekend. I bought some wood to make raised beds. Will get my hands dirty over the weekend. I'm new to most of the things mentioned above and very excited to see how it goes.

I've got some Swiss Chard and habanero (sp? ) peppers from last season that's still going strong.

At the start of the winter I also planted the following fruit trees (they're so cheap at the nursery):

Orange

Lemon

Naartjie

Plum

Peach

Nectarine

I guess it's still going to be a few years before they'll bear fruit, although they have made blossoms already. I think they're too small to have fruit this season.

Anyways, it's weird but I find the edible garden idee very excited as I previously hated normal gardening.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by P.A.K.

I bought quite a few things from Living Seeds:

Tomatoes

Watermelon (crimson sweet)

Spaghetti squash

Gem squash

Spanspek

Chillies

Swiss chard

Red Popcorn

I have planted the seeds in a tray the past weekend and need to prepare the beds and containers over the weekend. I bought some wood to make raised beds. Will get my hands dirty over the weekend. I'm new to most of the things mentioned above and very excited to see how it goes.

I've got some Swiss Chard and habanero (sp? ) peppers from last season that's still going strong.

At the start of the winter I also planted the following fruit trees (they're so cheap at the nursery):

Orange

Lemon

Naartjie

Plum

Peach

Nectarine

I guess it's still going to be a few years before they'll bear fruit, although they have made blossoms already. I think they're too small to have fruit this season.

Anyways, it's weird but I find the edible garden idee very excited as I previously hated normal gardening.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AWESOME man! Hope all grows well!

I've got the last of my winter veggies still going. (cauliflower etc.)

Herbs are starting to look strong.

not going the tray route this year as the day temp is fluctuating to much. so everything will either be seedlings or direct sow.

Guest notmyname

I've got the last of my winter veggies still going. (cauliflower etc.)

Herbs are starting to look strong.

not going the tray route this year as the day temp is fluctuating to much. so everything will either be seedlings or direct sow.

What do you mean by tray route? As in young plants in 6 pack trays?

What do you mean by tray route? As in young plants in 6 pack trays?

net so.

sow seeds in trays and transplant when they are ready

Ok, so I decided to convert an old Jacuzzi into a vegetable patch for my son.

We have a heated pool and no use for a Jacuzzi - the previous owner also didn't use it so it has been idle for 7 years so I doubt it still would've worked.

1) How do I go about filling it - I'll make sure the water can flow out in case of excessive rain!

Sand, compost, soil... which ratio's and do I use a filter cloth in between layers?

2) In such a small area what veggies would grow - small variety. Carrots, spinach, basil, radishes...

3) It's in a sunny place - must I make it shady?

post-2515-0-86702400-1472718147_thumb.jpg

Ok, so I decided to convert an old Jacuzzi into a vegetable patch for my son.

We have a heated pool and no use for a Jacuzzi - the previous owner also didn't use it so it has been idle for 7 years so I doubt it still would've worked.

1) How do I go about filling it - I'll make sure the water can flow out in case of excessive rain!

Sand, compost, soil... which ratio's and do I use a filter cloth in between layers?

2) In such a small area what veggies would grow - small variety. Carrots, spinach, basil, radishes...

3) It's in a sunny place - must I make it shady?

If the pump still works it could be a lekker aquaponics setup.

If the pump still works it could be a lekker aquaponics setup.

Let me google aquaponics ;) 

I'm sure it still does and I have 2 additional ones in any case.

Guest notmyname

net so.

sow seeds in trays and transplant when they are ready

So seedlings.

Ive got going again.  we are getting a massive bowl of gorgeous salad every day.  I also have violas (they are edible) but I grow them in another bed. Ive got, spinach( regular and bright lights) beetroot, kohlrabi, butter lettuce, iceberg lettuce, red oak leaf lettuce, mustard, summer mustard, spring onions, leeks, peas, celery, watercress, rocket, thyme, fennel, rosemary and origanum.

Wish I had more space for larger plants like tomatoes and brinjals :(

post-57454-0-69890000-1472738489_thumb.jpg

post-57454-0-56687400-1472738590_thumb.jpg

Ive got going again.  we are getting a massive bowl of gorgeous salad every day.  I also have violas (they are edible) but I grow them in another bed. Ive got, spinach( regular and bright lights) beetroot, kohlrabi, butter lettuce, iceberg lettuce, red oak leaf lettuce, mustard, summer mustard, spring onions, leeks, peas, celery, watercress, rocket, thyme, fennel, rosemary and origanum.

build a trellis for that wall and have the tomato climb up

build a trellis for that wall and have the tomato climb up

This bed only gets sun half day.  I think it might be too shady :wacko: . Ill give it a try,  Has anybody grown the heirloom Tigerella tomato?  How does it yield and what is its resistance to fungal infections?

Edited by blondeonabike

Ive got going again. we are getting a massive bowl of gorgeous salad every day. I also have violas (they are edible) but I grow them in another bed. Ive got, spinach( regular and bright lights) beetroot, kohlrabi, butter lettuce, iceberg lettuce, red oak leaf lettuce, mustard, summer mustard, spring onions, leeks, peas, celery, watercress, rocket, thyme, fennel, rosemary and origanum.

No wonder you okes are so skinny. You eat rabbit food all day.