Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aquaponics is AWESOME!! Most of my friends are into it. It's cheap to set up and run and the plants grow verry well!

Best way to grow weed huh?

Amen, Mon!

I need to get started with one of these... think it will probably have to be a vertical garden though - my staffies will make a meal of a flatbed - anyone got any cool idea's or seen any handy links?

A buddie of mine planst his veg, mostly shallow growers in gutter he attached to his back pre-cast walling. Works really well for salad vegs, herbs etc...

Interwebs are full of ideas on vegtable walls

A buddie of mine planst his veg, mostly shallow growers in gutter he attached to his back pre-cast walling. Works really well for salad vegs, herbs etc...

Interwebs are full of ideas on vegtable walls

That is actually my upcoming weekend project. Going to also plant most of herbs in there as well.

I'm trying the Square Foot Garden thing, check out: http://sfgsa.co.za/

Carrots and onions in the near most row.

Lettuce and Swiss Chard in the second

Peppers in the third

and baby tomatoes in the back.

I'm struggling with an Ant and snail problem at the moment.

This is what it looked like at the start

My original attempt was actually a SFG and I wanted to test the theory of the high density gardening. It works very well (too well) but I did find that I need to replan my next attempt as things like the beans became overgrown and my lettuce and spinach suffered.

As for the bugs, I throw my left over plunger coffee over my plants. Works like a bomb and its rich in nitrogen. Now I just got a 10L bucket of the stuff from the office as our coffee machine makes grinded coffee :)

Also add radish to your mix. You can grow them by your tomatoes for now as you will harvest them within 30 days. I never ate a radish in my life until I grew my own. Now I'm addicted to them.

Also look at companion planting due to the nature of this type of gardening. Very interesting read. I did not know that my beans where bad for my tomatoes but the carrots are good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

I'm struggling with an Ant and snail problem at the moment.

Have you tried beer snail bait traps, my sister had issues with snails in her veggie garden and said this worked for her.

What a great thread. I have also just moved into a house were I am able to now grow my own veg/herbs.

For those who do, please post your pictures so we all can learn :clap:

I need to get started with one of these... think it will probably have to be a vertical garden though - my staffies will make a meal of a flatbed - anyone got any cool idea's or seen any handy links?

We had just planted our first lot of seeds in our four 2mx2m vegetable boxes when a foster care bull terrier arrived. He immediately destroyed everything in these boxes. We stopped planting until he goes back home.

My original attempt was actually a SFG and I wanted to test the theory of the high density gardening. It works very well (too well) but I did find that I need to replan my next attempt as things like the beans became overgrown and my lettuce and spinach suffered.

As for the bugs, I throw my left over plunger coffee over my plants. Works like a bomb and its rich in nitrogen. Now I just got a 10L bucket of the stuff from the office as our coffee machine makes grinded coffee :)

Also add radish to your mix. You can grow them by your tomatoes for now as you will harvest them within 30 days. I never ate a radish in my life until I grew my own. Now I'm addicted to them.

Also look at companion planting due to the nature of this type of gardening. Very interesting read. I did not know that my beans where bad for my tomatoes but the carrots are good. http://en.wikipedia....ompanion_plants

Thanks will give it a try.