Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week I planted a few onion seeds from Mayford. Today I noticed this warning in red text at the back of the packet:

post-26916-0-62937300-1460185846_thumb.jpg

What gives??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-25481-0-20334200-1463080887_thumb.jpeg

post-25481-0-88439100-1463080899_thumb.jpeg

Picked the tomatoes before the birds got to them, cauliflower is coming on. The aquaponics system is producing faster than my veg patch. My fish are growing slowly tho. Think it is the winter temps tho, they are feeding once a week.

Edited by Pieter1

Guest notmyname

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Picked the tomatoes before the birds got to them, cauliflower is coming on. The aquaponics system is producing faster than my veg patch. My fish are growing slowly tho. Think it is the winter temps tho, they are feeding once a week.

How many fish in there? Could be that the amonia levels are to high.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

jis daai bloomkool lyk mooi.

Ek sukkel om die goed aan die groei te kry en die wat groei word opgevreet

How many fish in there? Could be that the amonia levels are to high.

More or less 30. But they are super tiney. Have two that are prob at like 6cm the rest are all way smaller. What makes you think the amonia is high? Wat eet jou blomkool Fanie?

Did any of you guys actually watch this? It was actually quite eye opening and very informative.

It is a bit long but if you increase the playback speed a bit it makes it a easier to get through the whole thing.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hi Pieter, why do you feed only once a week? 

Hi Pieter, why do you feed only once a week?

I sort of gage by the amount of pellets left on the bottom. When they are finished I feed again, usually once a week. If there is to much uneaten food it causes a bit of an algea bloom.

I sort of gage by the amount of pellets left on the bottom. When they are finished I feed again, usually once a week. If there is to much uneaten food it causes a bit of an algea bloom.

Just a thought...have you considered feeding them flakes (like one would gold fish) on a more regular basis (daily) to increase feed ingestion up to a nominal size of say 100g per fish. Then switch to the pellet feed. At what weight do you plan to harvest the fish?

Do you weigh your feed or is this project not that scientific? 

Just a thought...have you considered feeding them flakes (like one would gold fish) on a more regular basis (daily) to increase feed ingestion up to a nominal size of say 100g per fish. Then switch to the pellet feed. At what weight do you plan to harvest the fish?

Do you weigh your feed or is this project not that scientific?

That might not be a bad idea, I'll give it a go. No not scientific at all.

Guest notmyname

More or less 30. But they are super tiney. Have two that are prob at like 6cm the rest are all way smaller. What makes you think the amonia is high? Wat eet jou blomkool Fanie?

The population doesn't seem to insane at this point with you system. Unfortunately I can't find the study I read, but if yiu have time read this document.

http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&rct=j&q=does%20amonia%20negative%20fish%20growth&ved=0ahUKEwjx_-vez9fMAhXFVD4KHTdHCqIQFgglMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ca.uky.edu%2Fwkrec%2FManagingAmmonia.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGUDDJp6qrfeeUP6QgOIHG6n45fkw

That cauli is looking great, just be sure to check for aphids.